Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Pull Up A Chair And Relax For A Bit

jethro

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

This is a virtual pub or a make-believe coffee shop, a place to stop by and chat a wee while - discover what makes each other tick, tell a joke, raise a few smiles.

Posted

What a useful and timely thread!

I have just tried to send birthday greetings to Laserguy by pm but pm'ing doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

So........"Happy Birthday" to you Laserguy.....I hope you are having a good one! :(

Posted

Apart from sincere greetings for Laserguy's happy birthday, if Michael Jackson was still alive, what would he look like today, or more importantly, in 10 year's time?

I think this is an important question.

Take, for example, Elvis. Many sightings of Elvis have been reported since his death.

None of these reports suggest that the King continued to suffer the bloat - post mortem - that troubled him in his last few years when he was still shuffling this mortal coil!

If anything, Elvis was rehabilitated in death! Thankfully he chose not to continue his singing career. Unlike Jim Reeves.

Nobody has reported seeing Michael Jackson since his demise! Why not?

Is it that he has still continued to morph away from the chubby little afro-haired kid we all loved into some uber-pale unnosed skinny phantom with red-rimmed, bulging eyes?

Or is it that out of the corner of our eyes, there is this smart and svelte, slim, medium-dark skinned handsome chap moonwalking just outside of our visual range?

Me, I have audible remembrances of dead artists - the Penguin Cafe Orchestra figures strongly, unfortunately - if it's not "Telephone and Rubber Band" (or "Perpetuum Mobile" (which is the same, but for a few notes)), it's "Music for a found Harmonium" (which is the same but for the order of a few of the notes). Sadly, I hear them everywhere.

Fortunately, I never see Elvis or MJ, nor hear them, neither.

Posted

Why thank you Noggin and TC. Another year older but t'was just another day I'm afraid. Spent the day in bed and went to work at 10pm - just got home as it happens. Birthdays lost whatever meaning they once had for me,somewhere down the line. Is that a sign of old age,a growing awareness of one's demise getting ever-nearer and a subconscious attempt to block out that thought? Well I dunno,do I? That guy out of the Beatles shares his birthday with me,y'know,the one who did the duet with the aforementioned MJ. Just sayin'... and Elvis? He's working in the chip-shop at the top of our road - I swearPosted Image .

Posted
  • Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Guildford, Surrey
  • Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Guildford, Surrey

It's true that Elvis always seems much more svelte when spotted in public these days, but then I hear that weight loss is common after death.

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Sorry Laser! Have an ace day and stop a few going sour for me!!!

Posted

Sorry Laser! Have an ace day and stop a few going sour for me!!!

Thanks GW,no work tonight so I'll sink a few and think of you!

Edited by laserguy

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Any hoo's, I came Across this Fairy called 'Nuff'........

FairyNuff I sez......

Posted

Any hoo's, I came Across this Fairy called 'Nuff'........

FairyNuff I sez......

But Fairy Nuff's real! And betrothed to Rid Skwerr too. At least in Calton Creek she's real...

http://www.netsavvy.co.uk/lobey/cast.htm {scroll down to find Fairy Nuff}

Most'll think I'm raving here... :D These guys are characters from the Lobey Dosser cartoon series by Glaswegian cartoonist Bud Neill in the 40s/50s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bud_Neill), about a group of weegies who get transplanted into the Wild West, with all sorts of Glasgow in-jokes, good stories and fun characters. Lobey is the sherriff with his faithful two-legged horse El Fideldo, the chief baddie is Rank Bajin, they live in Calton Creek, and the local Indian tribe chiefs are Chief Toffy Teeth and Chief Rubber Lugs. Good fun! If you click on the names in the links from the page above you'll get excerpt strips from the cartoons.

Posted

LOL S.S.S.!

I Studied in Sunderland (when it was still a Poly) and the Wearside accent was bad enough to understand but then I house shared (2nd year) with a Glasgi couple and used to use the Wearsiders to translate what they were saying for me!!! (a kind of odd 'half way house'.......~I didnea think they raided so far south......)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Why aye man! Ah divent knaa what's gan on like! Haway the lads!

There do seem to be a lot of connections between Wearsiders (and South Tynesiders) and Glaswegians- people moving between the two areas of the country and having associations. I remember my parents once used me as their "translator" when we visited Glasgow, though I had trouble understanding some of the accent as well.

Posted

I find it like any other 'foreign language' T.W.S., stop thinking about the words and you'll 'understand' a lot more (at least you'll laugh/grimace when supposed to!!!).

Of course .when I'd fresh arrived there I called a pub full of Wearsiders 'Geordies..........', you learn fast don't you???

......Esp when your life is threatend.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The people of Cleadon, Whitburn and South Shields are an interesting case because many self-identify as "Geordies" but support Sunderland rather than Newcastle.

I'm a doubly unusual case in that I self-identify as a Geordie and support Sunderland, but also to a lesser extent support Newcastle United, which is pretty rare and traditionally frowned upon, though I've taken surprisingly little flak for it over the years. I get a sense that hating one team gets you into a lot more trouble than supporting both does.

Posted

The people of Cleadon, Whitburn and South Shields are an interesting case because many self-identify as "Geordies" but support Sunderland rather than Newcastle.

I'm a doubly unusual case in that I self-identify as a Geordie and support Sunderland, but also to a lesser extent support Newcastle United, which is pretty rare and traditionally frowned upon, though I've taken surprisingly little flak for it over the years. I get a sense that hating one team gets you into a lot more trouble than supporting both does.

I saw both Sunderland play and Bod Dyland play at Roker.......guess who was best?

Posted

Sunderland by far!

Posted

After Bob's first unrecognisable song someone threw a pairs of socks at him!!! he said something like " seems i've blown your socks off already...." and went on to produce one of the best 'live' sets i've ever seen!!! Sunderland lost 3-1.....

Posted

That nasal drone could be used to round up swarming Bees.....

I know I'm in the minority.

Posted

That nasal drone could be used to round up swarming Bees.....

I know I'm in the minority.

Y'mean Bob introduced the sound of a Vuvu' to UK stadiums back in the 80's???

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Well the 'atmosphere' seems to be holding it's own in here at least!!!

Posted

Speaking of which.......One of the NASA Guys was in here earlier checking out if it was suitable to do "Mars Training"........

Ya don't say?

Said it'd suit them just fine.....

Posted

I saw Donovan Leitch play to a packed refectory hall at Leeds Uni in (IMMSMC) 1973 - a few large cushions scattered on stage, an acoustic guitar, and two microphones, one for the mouth and harmonica, the other for the guitar. The presence of the man was unbelievable. I had gone to Leeds in the shadow of "the Who live at ...." Rod Stewart, The Rolling Stones and Bob Marley... We had seen bands like Jethro Tull doing "Thick as a Brick", Lindisfarne with "Fog on the Tyne" , even Osibisa,( before it became a Linux distrro, didn't it ...)

Donovan was the man that night. Who could start a concert with " The lock upon my garden gate's a snail that's what it is..." and get a standing ovation, segue into a ditty about affection for underage teenage girls, and send us tearful with simple little love songs, and keep our rapt attention for the best part of two hours. He did. Best value for money act I ever saw.

Posted

I saw Donovan Leitch play to a packed refectory hall at Leeds Uni in (IMMSMC) 1973 - a few large cushions scattered on stage, an acoustic guitar, and two microphones, one for the mouth and harmonica, the other for the guitar. The presence of the man was unbelievable. I had gone to Leeds in the shadow of "the Who live at ...." Rod Stewart, The Rolling Stones and Bob Marley... We had seen bands like Jethro Tull doing "Thick as a Brick", Lindisfarne with "Fog on the Tyne" , even Osibisa,( before it became a Linux distrro, didn't it ...)

Donovan was the man that night. Who could start a concert with " The lock upon my garden gate's a snail that's what it is..." and get a standing ovation, segue into a ditty about affection for underage teenage girls, and send us tearful with simple little love songs, and keep our rapt attention for the best part of two hours. He did. Best value for money act I ever saw.

Saw Roy Harper do something similar at Sunderland Poly back in 85(?) .....I think he had a good time (we did) and I used to own a tape of the Gig as I knew the guys on the sound desk (part of S.P.A.M. of which I was a member).

Seemed to 'blag' a lot of smoke from the audience even asking for one spliff back as it seemed to hit the spot!.......One man rock and roll band was immense (and never ending......)

Posted

D'ya know, I thought Summer hols mean't a little less morning hassle and fun in the sun.......in reality they mean earlier starts ,constant demands and giving other parents the opportunity to 'chill in the sun'!!!!

No fair, me want my go!

Posted

Forget Meto and Uni of east Anglia, from the first day of the school summer hols to the last day of the school summer hols the weather will be pants........

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

Very homely in here.........I get no replies when I talk there too!!!!