Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted

A great feature of the NW radar is being able to zoom right in on heavy showers and see how quickly they develop. One over Devon went from a slight blue dot at 13.55 to rain rates approaching 100mm per hour by 14.30!!

Just noticed that MetO are now charting a potential triple point to drift over the south coast tomorrow night (which is why I presume Nick is thinking possible thunder for that period)...looking forward to seeing how that pains out!

Is that a typo Harry (meant to be pans?), or intended anticipation of a painful, fruitless wait?! LOL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

watched the cell expand heading towards launceston in sw england.. wow!

post-11361-12760943639333_thumb.png

Edited by nimbilus

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

The gap in the line found here and it broke up, with really heavy showers just to the north and south. More Cb tops visible to the east 20 miles off.

Posted

Something has to be kicking off soon has been building up all day, it is humd and wind seems to be picking up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

can i ask someone with more knowledge how is the clear gap ive circled staying clear ?

is it the south downs , sea breeze?smile.gif

post-11361-12760952160294_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Hope something kicks off in the next few hours as I should be in a hot spot for heavy showers today but haven't had anything, just broken medium level cloud all day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Showers gathering again west of Norwich. Yesterday they inched eastwards and gave thunder, but I have my doubts about them doing the same today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Absolutely THROWING it down now, no thunder yet though!

Posted

Caught in Torrential rain lampeter now. Big convection possible distant thunder. Warm humid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

A great feature of the NW radar is being able to zoom right in on heavy showers and see how quickly they develop. One over Devon went from a slight blue dot at 13.55 to rain rates approaching 100mm per hour by 14.30!!

Is that a typo Harry (meant to be pans?), or intended anticipation of a painful, fruitless wait?! LOL

Yeah it was a typo, though as you point out I am wondering whether it was some form of Freudian Slip :wallbash: lol

Posted

can i ask someone with more knowledge how is the clear gap ive circled staying clear ?

is it the south downs , sea breeze?smile.gif

There is a SE/ESE flow which is probably the same along the South coast in the form of a sea breeze which pushes clouds inland. Very often the South Coastal areas get the best conditions in set ups like this - very similar happened yesterday. Also, when HIGH pressure is in charge there will generally be clear sky over the English Channel even when Cumulus builds inland.

Posted

Massive convection happening south of me... no thunder heard yet.. but wasnt there 10mins ago!!

Posted

Hmm, just looked at the extra data and theres heavy showers with lightning detected not far from me which has come as a surprise to me as it has been overcast with low cloud all day here.

Does feel very storm weather like though, very warm and sticky almost tropical feel to the atmosphere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Some torrential rain around 8:30 this morning but otherwise its been dry all day but the first showers are approaching now. Seems theve only just bubbled up most of them.

Posted

Showers gathering again west of Norwich. Yesterday they inched eastwards and gave thunder, but I have my doubts about them doing the same today.

Hi TWS,

I agree, if only for the fact that temps have managed the giddy heights of 18 here today, also, there's a bit more of a drift off the sea, pushing the clods and showers further West, it does look REALLY dark to the West but quite bright here. Can see some convective towers to the south, but nothing to the southeast which is where I'd expect anything coming from today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Only now have some really nice solid looking tower gone up nearly all around. A dark cloud that moved overhead has now developed rainshafts to the SW of here and probably giving Weston a downpour. More ones developing east of here too so hopefully something before the day is out. :)

Posted

Massive convection happening south of me... no thunder heard yet.. but wasnt there 10mins ago!!

Oh yes, so there is :)

Skies are looking quite interesting off in that direction - hopefully I will get to drive through it en route home, but it may slip just to the South of me (as per the norm lol)

Nice looking towers appear to be going up N of London also!

The sun has been out now for a little while so obviously a bit of heating may be doing the trick :D

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Large downpours have developed top my East recently. All seems to have only recently sprung up. Crackles on AM radio. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

We have thunder!!, First time I thought it was a jet going over as they have been practising for cosford, but that CG in the field behind my house prooved that theory wrong. WooT!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Amazingly it has managed to stay dry here all day, with some very heavy showers breaking out just north of here and also plenty of convection looking out to sea over SW England. It has felt humid and muggy with light winds. Lets hope for a downpour but looking at the current radar, looks like most of the coasts will stay dry.

Posted

Oh yes, so there is :)

Skies are looking quite interesting off in that direction - hopefully I will get to drive through it en route home, but it may slip just to the South of me (as per the norm lol)

Nice looking towers appear to be going up N of London also!

The sun has been out now for a little while so obviously a bit of heating may be doing the trick :D

Radar looks pants for this 'development' in S London...I'd say false alarm lol...excitement well and truly subdued.

Posted

Hmm, just looked at the extra data and theres heavy showers with lightning detected not far from me which has come as a surprise to me as it has been overcast with low cloud all day here.

Does feel very storm weather like though, very warm and sticky almost tropical feel to the atmosphere.

Manchester Airport report has Thunderstorm in the area according to XC Weather.

Posted

It looks like a funnel or tornado wants to form from the clouds right now. Its torrential just to my East too.