Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano

Coast

Posted

Where's this info from?

NATS Still stating as follows on their site:

Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Monday April 19, 1245

The Met Office advises that the Eyjafjallajoekull volcano is now less active than previously. NATS advises that the current restrictions across UK controlled airspace due to the volcanic ash cloud will remain in place until at least 0100 (local) on Tuesday 20 April.

Conditions around the movement of the layers of the volcanic ash cloud over the UK remain dynamic. We will continue to monitor the location of this ash cloud and look for opportunities to get aircraft moving again, whilst of course maintaining safety.

NATS is maintaining dialogue with the Met Office and with the UK's safety regulator, the CAA, in respect of the international civil aviation policy we follow in applying restrictions to use of airspace.

In the meantime, we continue to work closely with Government, airports and airlines, and airframe and aero engine manufacturers to get a better understanding of the effects of the ash cloud and to seek solutions.

Anyone hoping to travel should contact their airline before travelling to the airport.

The next update will be issued at approximately 1500 (local)

Posted

The is a possability that the Ash plume will hover over st albans,hertfordshire

for a few years due to the enclosed Valley

Edited by dogs32

Posted

So why haven't the RAF and other NATO forces wheeled out their C-130 Hercules turboprop transport planes and shoved everybody (90 at a go?) into the back of them and bought them home? Easier to get going a rescue plan using those than 3 Navy ships surely + the airports are sitting idle ready to receive them?

Because they're too busy using them to ferry troops in Afghanistan...

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

The is a possability that the Ash plume will hover over st albans,hertfordshire

for a few years due to the enclosed Valley

Oh right. :whistling: Oh well, as long as it guarentees the nice sunny weather we have been having.

Well, all Military aircraft based in Britain are still suspended.

Edited by saint

Posted

Currently out and about here in NI can smell rotten eggs. Can see ash on cars and some on my washing that had been hung out to dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

If the big bosses won and despite reservations, the monetary losses were allowed to dictate when airspace was opened up again, hands up all those who would leap aboard a plane?

Posted

Because they're too busy using them to ferry troops in Afghanistan...

Most European air forces have C-130's and not all are involved in the conflict. There must be another reason they aren't using them I guess.

Air traffic controllers may be able to start opening UK airspace tomorrow, the transport secretary, Lord Adonis, said todayas British Airways reported that results of airline test flights without passengers provided "fresh evidence that the current blanket restrictions on airspace are unnecessary".

The National Air Transport Service (Nats) was expected to update its advice this afternoon – a no-fly zone is at present expected to last until at least 1am tomorrow – but Adonis, who has been in constant contact with forecasters, air traffic bodies and European colleagues, said: "It may be possible to start opening UK airspace tomorrow."

There was also positive news for travellers from the volcano site. The UK Met Office, citing information from its counterpart in Iceland, issued an advisory note at 12.34pm which said: "Eruption has virtually ceased with only small amounts of ash up to 6,000 feet."

BA's chief executive, Willie Walsh, speaking after his company had analysed the jumbo jet's 2hr 40 min test flight out of Heathrow yesterday, said: "We believe airlines are best positioned to assess all available information and determine what, if any, risk exists to aircraft, crew and passengers.

"Since airspace was closed on Thursday our assessment is that the risk has been minimal and can be managed by alternative procedures to maintain the highest safest standards."

There had been a full re-inspection of the aircraft structure and engines as well as analysis of flight data recorders, said Walsh.

"We call on the government urgently to adopt new policies that would allow us to resume flying. Safety is the overriding priority for an airline. We use our expertise in risk-assessment across a wide range of safety issues to make decisions on the safe operation of flights every day.

"We believe that we should be allowed to take the same responsibility over safety issues over the recent volcanic eruptions in Iceland."

www.guardian.co.uk

Long article and answers a lot of questions being asked in here today!

Posted

If the big bosses won and despite reservations, the monetary losses were allowed to dictate when airspace was opened up again, hands up all those who would leap aboard a plane?

My hands stay firmly by my side. As the previous post from NI showed, this ash is still coming down and I for one think that is dangerous.

If I was sitting in a plane in the next couple of days I would be more than nervous, I would be wetting myself!

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Ahh ok, just didn't see it on BBC News 24.

See the BBC website - Breaking News bulletin indicating scottish airspace due to re-open. Rest of the UK due to remain closed until tomorrow.

Posted

Well NATS have announced flights starting in northern England and Scotland tomorrow, even though All the models are predicting ash still for most of Scotland and certainly n.england.

Looks like a suck it and see approach.

maybe a cost benefit analysis has been done by the airlines and have concluded that it will be cheaper to pay out any plane deaths and shift the blame to NATS so that they pay the compensation, than it would be to stay on the ground.

Posted

Well NATS have announced flights starting in northern England and Scotland tomorrow, even though All the models are predicting ash still for most of Scotland and certainly n.england.

Looks like a suck it and see approach.

maybe a cost benefit analysis has been done by the airlines and have concluded that it will be cheaper to pay out any plane deaths and shift the blame to NATS so that they pay the compensation, than it would be to stay on the ground.

If a plane crashes as a result...then people should make the moral decision of never getting on a plane again.

Posted

Posted

Full statement:

Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Monday April 19, 1530

The volcanic eruption has reduced and the volcano is not currently emitting ash to altitudes that will affect the UK. Assuming there are no further significant ash emissions we are now looking at a continuously improving situation.

Based on the latest information from the Met Office, NATS advises that the restrictions currently in place across UK controlled airspace will remain in place until 0700 (local time) tomorrow, Tuesday.

From 0700 (local time) tomorrow, Tuesday, Scottish airspace will be open, and south to a line between Teesside and Blackpool. Mainland Scottish airports will be open.

This is a dynamic and changing situation and is therefore difficult to forecast beyond 0700 local; however, the latest Met Office advice is that the contaminated area will continue to move south with the possibility that restrictions to airspace above England and Wales, including the London area, may be lifted later tomorrow (Tuesday).

We will continue to monitor Met Office information and review our arrangements in line with that. We will advise further arrangements at approximately 2100 (local time), today.

It is now for airports and airlines to decide how best to utilise this opportunity. Passengers should contact their airlines to find out how this will affect their travel plans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

If a plane crashes as a result...then people should make the moral decision of never getting on a plane again.

Well I'm supposed to be flying to turkey on Thursday and am begining to worry if I will go anyway now. It's either dangerous or it's not. It seems like all the officials are saying it's safe tomorrow even though the conditions seem the same as a few days ago here. Is it really worth the risk for one week in the sun? I'm not sure time will tell maybe. Not sure I would want to be on a flight tommorow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I'm due to fly to Poland first thing Thursday. Even if airspace opens in next day or so it'll be chaos in airports and I for one don't feel safe up there at the moment.

What rights to cancel would I get if my flight was still running but I didn't want to fly on it? I'm concerned I'll either have to fly or not get my money back (we're talking about Ryanair here!).

Any ideas?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Posted

Those worrying about getting flights out of the country might also do well to think about how they'd get home should this recur and maybe do some research so they have contingency plans should they be required.

Posted

Well heres the latest METO map for 01.00 tomorrow, From looking at this the ash will have to move at a rapid(unbelivable) rate of knots to be free from Scotland, NI and parts of n.england.

post-6326-12716901837298_thumb.png

Edited by Iceberg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

I'm due to fly to Poland first thing Thursday. Even if airspace opens in next day or so it'll be chaos in airports and I for one don't feel safe up there at the moment.

What rights to cancel would I get if my flight was still running but I didn't want to fly on it? I'm concerned I'll either have to fly or not get my money back (we're talking about Ryanair here!).

Any ideas?

My thoughts exactly. Not really to excited about a holiday now then the added worry of if we do have to fly will it errupt again then we can't get home

Posted

[/quote

What ? its called choice please dont slam what you think down other peoples throats , some of us have relatives far afield who we are willing to fly to see.

Posted

took some ash off of the car. Not sure if it is all ash but it does smell

[attachment=607:IMG_0791.JPG

Edited by jello