Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Volcanic Activity Thread!

Coast

Posted

Hekla has unusual activity according to the volcanologists.

This unusual activity is almost certainly the recent uplift on the GPS recording. This is likely to be evidence of magma movement., therefore an eruption is more likely than in recent months.

Don't be made nervous by recent newspaper reports of historical devastating eruptions from this volcano. It is always possibly for a severe eruption but since the relatively recent series of eruptions on an approximate decade long cycle the eruptions have been of a VE3 size. The really severe eruptions from Hekla have all been when it hasn't erupted for 60 to 100+ years.

So the next eruption, whenever it comes, (could be tomorrow, could be months or even years) is more likely to be between the level of the recent Grimsvotn eruption and the Eyafjatlajokul eruption of last year. Really no reason for panic I reckon.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I get the feeling Hekla will not erupt, this is just movement that happens normally(some say) and they have new sensors all over the place on Iceland now, which pick up what previously went unrecorded etc'

To tell the truth Iceland has had more Volcanoes erupt recently than is average slightly, now the reverse perhaps could happen in balance, no eruptions for 20 years :shok: , it is possible.

Well that sounded like party pooping, I'll get my coat...

Sorry but that may be it.

Then again there is always Katla :D

Posted

jon frimann - hero to zero?

putting the daily mail in their place on his blog - brilliant! :

The media hype: To Daily Mail in the UK. I am not an volcano expert. I also don’t claim to be one. You can’t find that claim on this blog. Because I am not an volcano expert. You also got an wrong volcano in your news and you spelled the name wrong on Hekla volcano. You should correct your news if you want to call your self an newspaper. Also, nobody sad anything about possible size of an ash cloud from Hekla volcano. You just made that up. The media should also relax, drink less coffee. There is nothing going on at the moment. You can hype all you want when something interesting is going on. If the media doesn’t get what I am saying, this

(Youtube, Newswipe) should help you get the clue. I at least remain hopeful, or something.

begging for money on his blog?... not so good...

Help needed!: I need help. I am broke again (demit!). I might be having an low paying job. But my pay goes mostly up to my debts and July was an bit harder then I expected (I try to leave something for food, but this time around it did not work out as I planned it). But that was due to the last VISA payment that I am ever going to make. I am going to get paid on the 1 of next month at least. I am now only left with 2500 ISK (€15) and €24 (182 DKK) to buy food (total 39€) for the rest of the month or until I get paid from my job. My social welfare (that I working toward getting off one day) is always paid on the 1st of every month. My rule about asking for donations is that it is the only option that I have left. Besides not eating anything. But I don’t really regard that as an good option. My status is that the worst is most likely over now, since no more surprise VISA bills (I closed it and I am glad!) and now it is just steady payments of the overdraft until it is finished. But that going to take about 6 to 11 months to finish. Depending on the work income that I have until the end of October this year. If anyone wants proof of how broke I am, I can provide it.

So I once more ask again for donations so I can eat something this month. I am living cheap, but at the moment it did not work out as I planned. Thanks for the help in advance!

i had to cringe...

swarm of very shallow earthquakes at Katla

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/myrdalsjokull/#view=map

(by the way i'm skint if anyone fancies giving me some money....)

Edited by bobbydog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Jon is reporting a lot of activity in Katla tonight.

Harmonic tremors are continuing to increase this evening following earlier earthquake swarms.

From Jon's blog:

When this is written around 00:36 UTC on 9. July 2011 the harmonic tremor levels on SIL stations around Katla volcano have continued to increase. The latest spike in harmonic tremor levels happened after an ML1.5 (automatic size) earthquake that took place at 22:13 UTC. There has been an small earthquake swarm in Katla volcano caldera yesterday. But the largest earthquake in that earthquake swarm had the size ML2.4.

The harmonic levels are getting so strong that they have started to appear on stations around Hekla and on my own geophone, even if it is located almost 60 km away from the source of the harmonic tremor. Currently there is little to suggests that this is slowing down at the moment. But that might yet happen. But it is impossible to know for sure at the moment.

The lack of earthquakes tells me that the magma has not yet reached the surface. When or if that might happen is an good question that I do not have the answer to. But this might take several more hours until something happens in terms of earthquakes or other activity in Katla volcano.

Harmonic tremor can clearly be seen on this SIL station at the end of the tremor chart. This is saved around 00:36 UTC 9. July 2011. Copyright of this picture belongs to Icelandic Met Office.

As sad before the harmonic tremor can now be seen on SIL stations far away from Katla volcano. But the maximum range so far is around 65 km or so at the moment.

This is the last update for tonight. I am going post an update tomorrow on what has happened during the night. Even just to say people that things have slowed down or gone back to normal. Whatever happens. I am going to post information about it tomorrow when I awake up.

Posted

Katla is causing a glacial flood at the moment. Eruption is near now, it must be. The small earthquakes continue in the main caldera. I wonder will it make the final edition of the News of the World?

The Iceland met-o site has become hard to get just now...

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

Katla is causing a glacial flood at the moment. Eruption is near now, it must be. The small earthquakes continue in the main caldera. I wonder will it make the final edition of the News of the World?

The Iceland met-o site has become hard to get just now...

It's very exciting! all these volcanoes going 'bang' in the northern hemisphere.

Are Katla's eruptions historically big ones? I mean, could they affect t climate for a year or two?

There seems to have been so much volcanic activity the past few months, that surely it will have an effect?

Posted

somethings happining because i have lost most of the webcam links in that area.

Posted

It's very exciting! all these volcanoes going 'bang' in the northern hemisphere.

Are Katla's eruptions historically big ones? I mean, could they affect t climate for a year or two?

There seems to have been so much volcanic activity the past few months, that surely it will have an effect?

Historically Katla is overdue an eruption and quite often goes off with a bang (VEI4-6 as an average). She is one of the bigger volcanoes in Iceland and often a eruption is marked by glacial floods as it is completely covered by a glacier.

Posted

The harmonic tremors at Katla are still pretty high and intense and are being picked up quite far away (about 65km) from the volcano. So far it seems to have quietened slightly but the tremors are not back to any kind of background level. Whether there is enough ooomph so to speak to initiate a full eruption is still to be seen.

Posted Image

As can be seen... the background noise is around the 3000 Hz range with the event overnight being clear towards the end of the chart

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Is katla really getting close to an eruption you think!? I keep hearing about tremors etc but I thought these were all normal daily events?

Exciting though if she really is about to blow as she is a big one and could add an extra catalyst into the equation ragarding the next winter... :whistling:

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Any activity reported near Vesuvius?

Want it to go bang within my lifetime (67 years since an eruption and counting).

Posted

Is katla really getting close to an eruption you think!? I keep hearing about tremors etc but I thought these were all normal daily events?

Exciting though if she really is about to blow as she is a big one and could add an extra catalyst into the equation ragarding the next winter... :whistling:

difficult to tell at this stage, there is speculation that it is a small eruption under the glacier or a geothermal event. harmonic tremor is dropping off and there is no earthquake swarm as yet. however, it is too early to say yet how events will pan out. there is definitely activity and it could be a prelude to a big one, but we will have to wait and see...

Posted

As bobbydog mentioned, there is speculation that a small eruption may have taken place overnight but it was not large enough to break through the glacier. I think this assumption is being made due to the glacial flooding that has taken place with some of the local infrastructure being damaged. Authorities are also evacuating the immediate area around the volcano although i would guess at this time that thats more a precaution due to the flooding.

Katla did have a phase like this around Easter however there was no apparent eruption with instead just the increases in harmonic tremors that we are seeing now, this could be due to magma moving within the system but may not be indicative of a imminent eruption. Still, exciting as ever in Iceland and worth watching.

http://www.vegagerdi...velar/sudurland

Above link to surrounding webcams... will give an idea if large flooding occurs

http://www.ruv.is/katla

Above: the view from south east to Myrdalsjokull glacier which covers katla.

Etna is also putting on a bit of a show at the moment too and has been so for the last week... worth a look at the cams to see some of the lava bombs being thrown out

Edited by Argyllcraig

Posted

The last 2 eruptions in Iceland were VE4 it takes a VE6 to alter the climate much. A VE6 is 100 times as powerful as a VE4.

Katla went off at 0300ish this morning. Here is the crater in the glacier http://www.ruv.is/sites/default/files/myndir/myrdalsjokull_sig.jpg.crop_display.jpg that is a VE1 at the minute.

Oh no... It has stopped for the moment apparently. Maybe Hekla wants to join the party lol.

More news http://www.ijsland-enzo.nl/ijsland/actueel_nieuwspagina.asp bridge out flood etc'

http://www.visir.is/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=XZ&Date=20110709&Category=FRETTIR&ArtNo=709009998&Ref=PH#

Here is a quote using google translate:-

Jelly was started last night in Múlakvísl. Scientists are not sure whether these eruptions have occurred under Mýrdalsjökull at night or if the water flow from a geothermal power generators under the glacier. Has been to close one road east of Vik and Ãlftaveri after the race swept away a bridge over Muli Whispers.

The Jelly frightens me a lot I must admit.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

Couldn't access Icelandic sites so was looking at the webcams in Italy. There seems to be renewed activity from Etna.

On the Montagnola thermal image there is intense white image 100's of metres into the air and their volcanic tremor sensors registering it nicely.

Check out Link , for Etna , webcams or volcanic tremor !

Posted

Etna really putting on a show again..

Posted Image

Edited by Argyllcraig

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

The service at Etna keeps going off line no doubt to the extra traffic

Posted

English version of the Icelandic Met Office is back up it seems. Looks like they've recovered from the earlier mass of visits after Katla's hiccup early this morning.