Jump to content
Coast

General Volcanic Activity Thread!

Recommended Posts

Here's a fascinating story.. until we wait on Agungs next move. Seriously, there is too much I don't know about the first Australians and their story telling over the ages.

When the bullin shrieked: Aboriginal memories of volcanic eruptions thousands of years ago

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-23/aboriginal-stories-of-volcanic-eruptions-when-bullin-shrieked/8835402

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't seem a lot of news about Mount Agung anymore (apart from the usual Express nonsense) so I assume the chance of an eruption has lowered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, karyo said:

I don't seem a lot of news about Mount Agung anymore (apart from the usual Express nonsense) so I assume the chance of an eruption has lowered.

No, the opposite really. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

No, the opposite really. 

 

 

Thanks. So the emergency status is extended till the 15th October.

I guess the news media have gone tired of waiting and stopped reporting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, karyo said:

Thanks. So the emergency status is extended till the 15th October.

I guess the news media have gone tired of waiting and stopped reporting.

Yeah, earthquake activity has remained constantly high. Could be days, weeks, months, or not at all. The uncertainty must be awful for the residents, not least because the whole Island's economy is dependent on tourism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Yeah, earthquake activity has remained constantly high. Could be days, weeks, months, or not at all. The uncertainty must be awful for the residents, not least because the whole Island's economy is dependent on tourism.

In a way it would be better if it erupts sooner than later. The longer it takes the higher the chance that people will return to their homes. For example, a few years ago, Mount Sinabung killed many people when they returned to their homes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mount St Helens was two months between onset of activity and eruption, Pinatubo was three.  Not unusual for Volcanoes to take time clearing their throats before bursting into full song - makes calling any evac very tricksy for the authorities.  Then again, Agung could simply go back to slumbering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice little drum beat Magma moving around there then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And still could fade away into nothing. Now we need the quakes v depth plot too see if the quakes are getting shallower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mount Agung was hit by 73 shallow earthquakes, 135 deep volcanic quakes and nine local tremors between midnight and 6am local time today.

Thick white smoke was observed rising about 200m above the volcano’s crater, according to Bali’s Geological Agency.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, weirpig said:

Mount Agung was hit by 73 shallow earthquakes, 135 deep volcanic quakes and nine local tremors between midnight and 6am local time today.

Thick white smoke was observed rising about 200m above the volcano’s crater, according to Bali’s Geological Agency.

It continues to be rather agitated! 

https://magma.vsi.esdm.go.id/live/seismogram/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Volcanic eruptions with spewing ash is absolutely stunning must see it in person one day.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Even more so now.

Oh yes, quite an increase in the last few hours!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, karyo said:

Oh yes, quite an increase in the last few hours!

She ready to blow?:hi:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

She ready to blow?:hi:

Magma must be trying to make more progress but the seismograph does tell us how deep the activity is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×