Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & Ea Cold Spell Discussion Part 10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Two surprises in the last few minutes a heavy sleet/graupel shower, didn't last long though, and a Met O 'advisory' for heavy snow on Mon 22nd (possibly upto 7cm for MK /Bucks) issued at 16:34 today (thought this was off altogether now ?). Keeps us all on our very cold toes for a bit longer then I guess !

See the METO warning is back ON FOR EA AND COUNTIES...drinks.gif

drinks.gif You beat me to it 'sl'

I am hoping it's not quite so cold here tonight as it was today, I will be leaving the house at 6.30am again, it was -3 according to the car at that time this morning and thick frost to scrape of the windows cold.gif

Note to self: leave gloves to warm on radiator overnight so fingers don't drop off in the morning !

Posted

See the METO warning is back ON FOR EA AND COUNTIES...drinks.gif

To be honest, i've had enough now of this cold weather.

it started in mid-late December and it's still going strong in late Feb.

hopefully, spring is just aound the corner, with temps of +14C and +16C. yes please !!

Posted

hopefully, spring is just aound the corner, with temps of +14C and +16C. yes please !!

Hahaha no way mate! I want snow snow snow!!!!! Im hopeing for one more decent snow event before winter's out! Btw, for once Bolton scored a goal by passing the ball around nicely!! How often do you see that! :cc_confused:

Posted

Btw, for once Bolton scored a goal by passing the ball around nicely!! How often do you see that! laugh.gif

Hi mate.

Watched the match in a bar last sunday..

Threw my pint everywhere when Big Kev scored , no long ball stuff LOL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

You're just whimping out now, just 'coz you've been somewhere warmer.

I suppose you just don't want that tan to fade do ya blum.gif

Looks like somewhere is gonna get it, just hope it's us !

I hope March comes in like a (white) lion and out like a spring lamb cold.gif

Posted

You're just whimping out now, just 'coz you've been somewhere warmer.

I suppose you just don't want that tan to fade do ya blum.gif

Tis just a feeling i'm getting now Angel!!

Feeling the warm sun on my cold bones has just turned my feelings towards a Mild March rather than a Snowy, cold March.

Oh, yes, I'm sun tanned biggrin.gif

My kids are even more tanned than me. and yet they moaned when we came home because they missed a snow event in Northampton laugh.gif

Posted

Tis just a feeling i'm getting now Angel!!

Feeling the warm sun on my cold bones has just turned my feelings towards a Mild March rather than a Snowy, cold March.

Oh, yes, I'm sun tanned :whistling:

My kids are even more tanned than me. and yet they moaned when we came home because they missed a snow event in Northampton laugh.gif

Is that the snow event you said would be rain? :D

Posted

Can anyone explain why the METO warnings are back? :whistling:

Saint, look at the METO 48 hour fax. Basically main risk is for very similar area to Thursday, but I think on this occasion, quite a bit of PPN around and the potential of everything being just that little bit more SE'wards hence why currently we are in advisory.

But quite possible we won't really know until 18-12 hous before what is likely to happen.

Posted

Is that the snow event you said would be rain? biggrin.gif

Not me mate, not been in the country for a week.biggrin.gif

Would like to hear from some Northants posters on here !just how heavy the snow fell on thursday.

Still got a 2-3 inch covering in my back garden.

Posted

The frost was so thick here we had to scrape it off the car windscreen at 10.30 am

we went to Norwich it wasn't too cold although turning colder the nearer it got to nightfall, not raining, quite bright with some sunshine which was warm through the windows.

At Trowse it looked like a dusting of snow onthe ground in the fields.

When we parked the car in st stephens car park at around 12:30, we actually parked on a layer of very sippery sheet ice, but when we got back to the car at about 2:30 it had turned to slush.

Reports of laying snow in Cambridge this morning from relatives.

Edited by jennyjane

Posted

Can't keep up with the models / warnings etc at the moment! This morning thet remove all warnings, 3hrs later they are back and extend from north midlands to the south coast! NAE precipitype is very good for most of the region on monday and the fax looks good. Then the 12z charts come out and push everything further north! I think this is all going to come down to 12hrs before the event. Last night an area of precipitation was due to cross our region from the west and this morning it was running along the channel! Tommorow we could see rain, snow or be completely dry! As for monday....Ask me on monday morning lol!

Edited by Tim Bland

Posted

Saint, look at the METO 48 hour fax. Basically main risk is for very similar area to Thursday, but I think on this occasion, quite a bit of PPN around and the potential of everything being just that little bit more SE'wards hence why currently we are in advisory.

But quite possible we won't really know until 18-12 hous before what is likely to happen.

Yeah the MET 48hrs chart is obviously very close to the 12z NAE given its fro mthe same output, obviouslt the 12z NAE would giveyou guys an even better shot at geting a snow event. It suggests a decent area getting 5cms by Monday 12z so its well worth watching to see if the 18z is as keen on that as the 12z was.

As for the set-up past Monday, who knows, I'd argue this area loses its risk somewhat but is obviously far from out of it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Well here i am hoping we all GET one big final event from this pretty amazing winter. Obviously we are approaching the end over the next few weeks,NEVER mind only another 8-9 months till maybe we get another VERY COLD WINTER.

I suppose after this winter the BIG question IS WILL WE ACTUALLY GET A SUMMER, as the last three have been S - - T. Heres praying the JETSTREAM fires up and climbs up the uk HEADING NORTH.drinks.gifdrunk.gifgood.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

A strong northerly tracking jet would usually mean a pronounced N-S split- so dull and damp in the north but dry and sunny in the south with a pronounced ridge from the Azores High. Precipitation tends to be mainly frontal rather than convective in origin in that setup.

My preference is for a weak jet and HP over and to the east of Britain, maintaining an emphasis on convective rather than frontal precipitation and ensuing that nearly all parts see the hot sunny weather. But the differential is largely a matter of taste, especially for those living in the south who end up mostly warm dry and sunny either way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

A strong northerly tracking jet would usually mean a pronounced N-S split- so dull and damp in the north but dry and sunny in the south with a pronounced ridge from the Azores High. Precipitation tends to be mainly frontal rather than convective in origin in that setup.

My preference is for a weak jet and HP over and to the east of Britain, maintaining an emphasis on convective rather than frontal precipitation and ensuing that nearly all parts see the hot sunny weather. But the differential is largely a matter of taste, especially for those living in the south who end up mostly warm dry and sunny either way.

I think we will go for your setup,I agree aslong as we all get a good summer, there has been SO much precip over the last 36 months that we really need dry up time.drinks.gif

Posted

I look at the models now and see really only Monday as the chance for snow, which some parts of the region could see, Its going to be if you are on the northern/north western flank of the front, this is where the snow is going to be. Ideally for the whole region to be in the chance for snow on Monday we will want the low a little further south, which appears to be the trend from a couple of models. We will see come tomorrow morning.

Posted

So, wots the latest.? Been out all day so ive missed the usual roller-coaster type day. When i left this morning, a band of rain was crossing from west to east overnight,resulting in a slight covering of snow in my region by late morning. Ive heard someone say it will now be of rain ?

I would appreciate if someone could enlighten me as to the current predictions ??? ta..

Posted

Just a quickie about tomorrow.

At the moment the front should arrive in W parts of this region around 7am. Now I feel N Cambs, Northants, Norfolk could see around 5-7cm of snowfall during the morning. This could turn to sleet/rain before clearing in the afternoon. As for the rest of this region and its a tough call. I would say the chance of snow but accumlations will be slight.

I could be wrong and after my outing today I realised just how localised our weather can be. Here in Peterborough I still have a decent covering of snow on the grass and yet when I travelled to Spalding which is 15miles NE of Peterborough they had very little snow in comparison!

Unfortunately the 18Z NAE isn't available so I won't comment about Mondays prospects just yet.

Posted

I think the 48 detailed forecast having problems as well as i have a temp tom of -263 max,min and wind chill, oh and also dew point!!!help.gif

Posted

Very wet snow here in St.Neots. Not settling, as i dont think it can make its mind up if it wants to rain or snow. Very marginal, but at the minute anyway its snowing so hey ho. Dont think it will stick.

Posted

Just a quickie about tomorrow.

At the moment the front should arrive in W parts of this region around 7am. Now I feel N Cambs, Northants, Norfolk could see around 5-7cm of snowfall during the morning. This could turn to sleet/rain before clearing in the afternoon. As for the rest of this region and its a tough call. I would say the chance of snow but accumlations will be slight.

Look out the window TEITS lol pardon.gifyahoo.gif

Gorgeous scene to wake up to here, falling snow given a good covering everywhere..... Powdery stuff so laying all bumpy on paths, but fence top estimations are 1-2cm approx biggrin.gif

Edited by Mrsf16