Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Been out, exactly 5cm here, there aren't any drifts this time so easy to measure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Got a good covering here of about an inch I would guess. Far more than I could have imagined this time yesterday!

Here's a couple of pics from my phone...

post-3392-12648439869488_thumb.jpgpost-3392-12648440078888_thumb.jpg

Quite insignificant compared to this from 21 days ago!

post-3392-12648440230688_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

A covering of lumpy snow here but only around 1cm and when you stand in it the floor appears oh well better than nothing. Any more snow coming in the next few days?

Posted

Got a good covering here of about an inch I would guess. Far more than I could have imagined this time yesterday!

Here's a couple of pics from my phone...

post-3392-12648439869488_thumb.jpgpost-3392-12648440078888_thumb.jpg

Quite insignificant compared to this from 21 days ago!

post-3392-12648440230688_thumb.jpg

Thats amazing! barely a centimetre of snow here just a couple of miles away.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Even from here looking west I can see only a thin dusting over towards you!

Here's the last 12 hours accumulated snowfall...

post-3392-12648474609588_thumb.jpg

Posted

A covering of lumpy snow here but only around 1cm and when you stand in it the floor appears oh well better than nothing. Any more snow coming in the next few days?

Oh dear I was wrong about Teesside then, the snow seems to have affected Tyneside more (2 inches inland, 4 inches right near the coast). I'm going to build a snowman, I never bothered last time :)

That radar image for the last 12 hours demonstrates last night well - the snow just came far enough inland to give 2 inches here, but then it fizzled before it reached Durham, so around the Teesside area there was quite a bit of snow by the coast but just inland there was less.

Edited by alza

Posted

A decent covering of snow here, i actually did watch it last night(sad i know) and at times it was close to being whiteout conditions and the snow was comign down really heavy. Never huge sized flakes but still more than good enough.

A nice surprising snow event when yesterday morning, the only white stuff i thought i would see on the ground is frost.

Looks like we were the lucky ones as the band of snow gived us quite a bit of snowfall whilst other parts of the country appeared to of missed out.

The only downside i suppose it did not occur during the daytime because if people went to bed, they missed out on quite a snow event.

Posted

A decent covering of snow here, i actually did watch it last night(sad i know) and at times it was close to being whiteout conditions and the snow was comign down really heavy. Never huge sized flakes but still more than good enough.

A nice surprising snow event when yesterday morning, the only white stuff i thought i would see on the ground is frost.

Looks like we were the lucky ones as the band of snow gived us quite a bit of snowfall whilst other parts of the country appeared to of missed out.

The only downside i suppose it did not occur during the daytime because if people went to bed, they missed out on quite a snow event.

I did look out just after midnight and it was snowing hard, but then I just went to bed. Clearly the heaviest snow occurred after that.

Posted

Oh dear I was wrong about Teesside then, the snow seems to have affected Tyneside more (2 inches inland, 4 inches right near the coast). I'm going to build a snowman, I never bothered last time smile.gif

That radar image for the last 12 hours demonstrates last night well - the snow just came far enough inland to give 2 inches here, but then it fizzled before it reached Durham, so around the Teesside area there was quite a bit of snow by the coast but just inland there was less.

Anymore snow events coming up? blush.gif

Posted

Anymore snow events coming up? blush.gif

I doubt it, early next week looks like the breakdown may contain some snow, but personally I think that its too marginal. If you've got snow today enjoy it while you can, whether it be 1cm or 10cm. :D

Edited by alza

Posted

I doubt it, early next week looks like the breakdown may contain some snow, but personally I think that its too marginal. If you've got snow today enjoy it while you can, whether it be 1cm or 10cm. smile.gif

what do you think of our chances of the easterly next friday and onwards? and how would if it effect us if it comes to fruition?

in the model output thread they always seem to be negative about f.i all of the time but i think if its showing up enough it will increase the chances smile.gif i don't understand why people write of f.i all of the time too, if it was wrong then they wouldn't show it when they release the model output right? obviously things can change but i like to look at f.i as an indication as to what the models think is the most likely outcome tbh, especially if it repeats the same outcome for a number of runs smile.gif rant over anyways aha rolleyes.gif

edit: just seen the gfs 6z easterly type flow by thursday now, pretty sure thats not really f.i anymore lmao :whistling:

Edited by Andy Sabb

Posted

Whilst I still stand by my 5cm reading on the drive, there is actually 7cm on the table and the grass. Good quality snow as well, just had a snowball fight with the neighbours but its too dry to make a snowman.

I think we will get some sort of continental flow next week, whether it be a snowy easterly or a brief flow of air from France I don't know yet. I'll concentrate on the easterly after this weekend!

Just for a bit of fun, the GFS 6z brings a 1979 style blizzard on the 12th and 13th January! Anyway it shows an easterly next weekend again, and I'm travelling to the Lakes for a long weekend on Friday, I hope it doesn't start before when I get back next Monday (if it does start)!

Edited by alza

Posted

Just for a bit of fun, the GFS 6z brings a 1979 style blizzard on the 12th and 13th January! Anyway it shows an easterly next weekend. I'm travelling to the Lakes for a long weekend on Friday, I hope it doesn't start before when I get back next Monday (if it does start)!

Posted

Woke up to a covering of about 0.5cm snow this morning, didn't bother trying to measure, but everything was white so its a snow lying day, yeah!

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

According to the GFS 06z the cold air is with us for some time yet apart from this coming monday when a finger of relatively milder air (still -5°C @850hpa) crosses our region, but whether it gets this far east is still open to question.

Amazed to see the heaviest snow hit Tyne & Wear when it looked like places to the south of Tyneside would be hit hardest, just goes to show no matter how long youve studied maps, conditions and 'live' radar/satellite images these events can suprise the most ardent weather watchers..'.

I havent been out yet (apart from getting my milk in, Yes he did make it although he usually delivers about 4am he arrived around 7am) but i'd say we have 13-14cm of laying snow and although the sun is out and hardly a cloud in the sky a thaw is just about non-existent.

Satellite image shows just how localised this snowfall was..

post-5386-12648548019088_thumb.gif

http://www.sat24.com/gb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

3 inches fell here. I woke at 3.30am to get a drink and the heaviest snow I have seen in years was falling. Almost a whiteout with the wind creating small drifts.

Posted

For people with the Netweather radar:

1) How useful is the radar compared to a free one such as the Metoffice radar?

2) Do you pay for 1 month if an interesting weather event is coming up, or just pay for 12 months?

3) Finally, how accurate would you say it is?

I'm thinking about getting the radar but I'm not sure how much better it is than free radars.

Edited by alza

Posted

Father in law has 5 inches in Washington. Not a flake in Hexham, it was like a spring day here this morning. I was shocked when we got into Newcastle and saw the snow.

Posted

For people with the Netweather radar:

1) How useful is the radar compared to a free one such as the Metoffice radar?

2) Do you pay for 1 month if an interesting weather event is coming up, or just pay for 12 months?

3) Finally, how accurate would you say it is?

I'm thinking about getting the radar but I'm not sure how much better it is than free radars.

I had no hesitation in purchasing the radar and i renew my subscription every year.

The radar is updated every 5 mins but is still 15mins behind as the data from satellites has to go and be processed so we can see it... All radars around the globe are never in 'real-time' as this is as quick as we can possibly process all the necessary data.

Well worth every penny to see those huge thunder cells coming our way...only to fall apart when they approach our region...Ha ha..!!

Posted

Is it me or is there potential for tommorrow night for some snow showers?

Posted

Must admit I'm a bit jealous of you people in Tyne and Wear today, having lived in Newcastle for the best part of 12 years until just over a year ago and worked in Sunderland for 6 years until just over a year ago, I know too well how good a northerly can be in delivering hefty localised snowfalls in Tyne and Wear.

Sunderland looks to have got a real pasting it seems. I remember a similiar set up back in early Feb 99 when coastal parts received much snow courtesy of a northerly. Watching the snow shower clouds over the North Sea heading towards inland parts on my journey to work in Sunderland was always a joy.

Still its been a glorious day here in the Lake District and the highest hills still have a good cover.

Posted

well guys, If we see any snow over the next few days, I really think thats prob the last snowfall we'll see this winter, if some of the charts are correct tonight, once that atlantic kicks in, its hello mild and hello spring, if we do see major cold or snow over a period of time I'll be very surprised now, still been one of the better winters of recent times anyway.

Posted
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea

well guys, If we see any snow over the next few days, I really think thats prob the last snowfall we'll see this winter, if some of the charts are correct tonight, once that atlantic kicks in, its hello mild and hello spring, if we do see major cold or snow over a period of time I'll be very surprised now, still been one of the better winters of recent times anyway.

Unfortunatly I agree and i think it will be a very much milder month ahead.mad.gif