Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Any Snow Left ? How Long Did It Last ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Still a small patch hanging on up near Dovestones!

Edited by James M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I noticed one or two drifts remaining late last week on the moors near the Cat and Fiddle close to the Derbyshire/Cheshire border.

I noticed one or two drifts remaining late last week on the moors near the Cat and Fiddle close to the Derbyshire/Cheshire border.

There are still quite a few snow patches on the lower hills here too, I can still see snow out of my living room window although for how much longer I don't know.

Any time I've been out and about and caught sight of Ben Lomond and Ben More away to the north they don't seem to have that much snow on them. Not a complete cover even at the top, just speckled with snow and bare patches. Although it is the southern slopes I see from the central belt, there may well be a lot more snow on the northern/eastern flanks of the mountains.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

There are still quite a few snow patches on the lower hills here too, I can still see snow out of my living room window although for how much longer I don't know.

Any time I've been out and about and caught sight of Ben Lomond and Ben More away to the north they don't seem to have that much snow on them. Not a complete cover even at the top, just speckled with snow and bare patches. Although it is the southern slopes I see from the central belt, there may well be a lot more snow on the northern/eastern flanks of the mountains.

Is that unusual for the time of year ?

Posted

Still quite a bit of lying snow in the Monadhliath range and even more in the Cairngorms. Certainly not unusual for up here, have seen snow fall in June and some gullies have snow all year round in a cool summer.

I have loved this winter but am ready for warmer weather now. Maybe further snow to come sunday/ monday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

The last few spots I could see on the north slopes of Holme Moss disappeared last week. Do you have any records for continuous snow patches on the southern Pennines/Peak District, because by my reckoning those patches have been continuous from December 16th (I think, it was certainly around that time) right through to April 6th-7th - around 112 days unbroken

Is that unusual for the time of year ?

Snow on the low hills is fairly unusual at this time of year, some of the snow patches are only 300m up. The higher hills like Ben Lomond or Ben More quite often have snow at this time of year. There is a snow patches thread on NW which documents the snow from last year, I think Ben More still had a patch well into May.

Edit: Make that July for the snow patch on Ben More, I should know since I reported it although I have scrubbed the photo from NW now:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/54859-2009-snow-patches-surviving-on-scottish-mountains/page__st__57

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Just a little bit... :lazy:

White Lady, CairnGorm Mountain, Wednesday 14th April 2010.

That looks about right Skifreak!:drinks:

Posted

Have driven Edinburgh - Oban and back this week for work, and there's plenty of snow up high, with say 25% coverage. Even the Pentlands next to Edinburgh have a handful patches left.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Up visiting my mum today in Highland Perthshire. Had a sleety shower on the back edge of the rain at about 900 feet followed by a hail shower at low altitude in the afternoon.

Back to topic. The snow shifted from the pavements by lorry from Aberfeldy at the end of Feb is still surviving in a field to the East of town. Now very much shrunk and down to around 6 feet deep at most but still there. You would have to know it was snow or look very closely now as it is so mucky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Spotted a few small patches on the hills near Hay on Wye yesterday, I did a double take as I didn't expect to see snow this far south. Unfortunately i didn't take any photo's as i was driving at the time.

Posted

found some snow patches on sliabh beagh hills yesterday at about 300mts altitude. biggest one was about 20mts long and a couple of foot deep. post-7812-12717911976598_thumb.jpg