Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The No Storms Club 2010

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Will Jane get a storm tomorrow? Best of Luck, AGAIN Jane. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Will Jane get a storm tomorrow? Best of Luck, AGAIN Jane. :D

Lol, I am charging up my camera batteries and have web cam and radio ready lol Please,please let me have a storm lol, Good luck to you too Blizzards.biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Wow, you should call Itv, BBC, Sky news, the lot if ever you hear a rumble of thunder! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

1 or 2 Rumbles of thunder counts as a thundery shower or thundery rain :( (runs and hides)

It has to be a storm lasting at least 10 minutes:)

We're entitled to our own definitions, but I always defined a "storm" as an occurrence of thunder or sighting of lightning- it's based on the Met Office definition of a "day of thunder heard". That said, I wouldn't think of a solitary rumble as constituting much of a "storm".

Interestingly I'm still in the no-storms club in the sense that I haven't had any thunder or lightning this year, but there was a torrential cloudburst at Norwich at 8pm yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

We're entitled to our own definitions, but I always defined a "storm" as an occurrence of thunder or sighting of lightning- it's based on the Met Office definition of a "day of thunder heard". That said, I wouldn't think of a solitary rumble as constituting much of a "storm".

Interestingly I'm still in the no-storms club in the sense that I haven't had any thunder or lightning this year, but there was a torrential cloudburst at Norwich at 8pm yesterday.

That is true, IMO i reckon if 2 claps of thunder and 2 flashes of lightning is seen then i count that as a storm but just 1 rumble and 1 flash i count that at just a thundery shower whether its smae thing or not lol

Edited by Stormyking

Posted

Had the year's first rumble of thunder in Buxton yesterday but obviously not enough to get us out of the "No Storms Club".

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Still a member of this terrible club. I cannot wait to leave this place with this horrible shower about, as seeing a storm would be 1,000 times more important, so their. And good riddons...

Wait, I was only kidding Jane, I do love this club. Really.

In fact, I would be very sad to leave the club. And don't worry you guys aren't a horrible shower really, well, except for JL. (*gulp* I'm going to be in for it now).

*runs off and hides from Jane* biggrin.gif

Yes, technically, just one flash of lightning and the sound of thunder can be classed as a thunderstorm, as defined by the World Meteorological Organisation. But, for me, I think thunder and lightning must be the more notable feature for it to be truly classed as a thunderstorm, rather than there just being heavy or torrential rainfall with the odd rumble of thunder. I usually call heavy showers with 1 or 2 flashes of lightning or rumbles of thunder an 'active shower', though if there is considerably more lightning activity, then I think it's fair to call it a weak thunderstorm, which is usually the terminology I use when posting in the 'Convective Outlook' thread.

*Slowly looks around to see if Jane is around. Doesn't see her, so the guy with a strange sense of humour (me) quickly sneaks back in a replies to 09's post*

Although I would agree with you about the fact that more than 1 or 2 flashes of lightning could be classed as a weak thunderstorm, I think for me, this would also depend on the precipitation intensity and type, how windy it was and the duration of the storm.

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Posted

:yahoo: RS:) :lol:

Not long until Proper Storm Season lol:whistling: I still would define a Thunderstorm as at least 10 minutes with plenty of flashes and rumbles! say...... about 6 rumbles and 6 flashes,I know The SE gets theses type of Storms,especially when a Spanish Plume happens.

Edited by Jane Louise

Posted

girl_devil.gif RS:) biggrin.gif

Not long until Proper Storm Season lol:whistling: I still would define a Thunderstorm as at least 10 minutes with plenty of flashes and rumbles! say...... about 6 rumbles and 6 flashes,I know The SE gets theses type of Storms,especially when a Spanish Plume happens.

So does that mean that you have experienced several days in the last 12 months where there's been some rumbles of thunder (but not enough to be out of the no storms club), or no thunder at all in that time? The latter would seem highly unlikely.

Edited by RichardR

Posted

Oh No! I'm ruined. I must try be more sneaky next time (lol).

Anyway, yeah, I don't think it will be too long until some of us get our first taste of some big or non-big thundery/stormy weather. smile.gif

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Posted

So does that mean that you have experienced several days in the last 12 months where there's been some rumbles of thunder (but not enough to be out of the no storms club), or no thunder at all in that time? The latter would seem highly unlikely.

I have had no thunder for at least 3 years and this Club is just a bit of fun:)

People can define a storm as they wish.But I count a storm as 10 minutes of thunder and lightning in one session !!

Posted

Considering it is possible to have occurances, where a ten minute shower can sometimes be more powerful than a one hour storm that produces little thunder and rain, I see why people would class these as storms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

I had 1 rumble of thunder in march this year, Sunday got very ominous but there was nothing more then a bit of drizzle.

I hope to be out of this club by the end of may fingers crossed! :lol:

Posted

I have had no thunder for at least 3 years and this Club is just a bit of fun:)

People can define a storm as they wish.But I count a storm as 10 minutes of thunder and lightning in one session !!

Have to say it seems very strange that there wouldn't be ANY thunder in a single location in that length of time, even in England.

As for how I would personally define storm. Not that there is any particular right or wrong way.

The word "storm" by itself to me implies an event of heavy wind/rain and/or hail, for (a rather extreme) example the September 24th 2007 squall line, which caused severe damage but didn't produce a single lightning discharge.

Or the January 18th European wind storm.

A "thunder-storm" to me is an event with multiple lightning discharges but including some kind of notable wind/rain and OR hail.

I would call anything without notable rain/wind OR hail but with lightning a "thunder-shower".

Terms like "thunderstorm" and "thundershower" say nothing about the intensity of lightning, but the nature and intensity of the parent storm itself.

For my statistical purposes a "thunderstorm day" is any day thunder is heard in the 24 hours even if only once. I have to say I always feel a bit cheated marking a day as a "thunderstorm day" in my Excel weather records when it was just one rumble of thunder. Clearly my definition of "thunderstorm" is a bit stricter than most so I could well be in this club a long time yet by my definition!

Edited by RichardR

Posted

I had 1 rumble of thunder in march this year, Sunday got very ominous but there was nothing more then a bit of drizzle.

I hope to be out of this club by the end of may fingers crossed! smile.gif

Welcome aboard the site, Mesodiscussion. I see that you have used the logo. smile.gif

I think with the sun becoming stronger and with the convective potential growing stronger by the day, hopefully May, or June, should be the best time to see some thunderstorms.

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think that's a good point. I would certainly take the spectacular cloud displays and cloudburst that Norwich had yesterday over a weak electrified cell with ill-defined, unspectacular cloud displays, a sprinkling of rain and a couple of distant rumbles of thunder.

Regarding noting of days of thunderstorms, I usually stick to Met Office conventions when taking weather records, so if thunder is heard at some point during the day it counts as a "day of thunder heard", but there seems to be no such official guideline for defining a "thunderstorm" as an electrical event above a certain threshold of intensity and/or duration, like there is for snow cover with the >50% cover rule. For that, there may be no substitute for keeping a personal weather diary.

I think in this thread the term "storm" is usually taken to refer specifically to electrical displays, but it is true that other types of dramatic and/or severe weather can be termed "storms", whereupon talking of the No-Storms Club becomes more complex, take Wikipedia's definition for example:

A storm (from Proto-Germanic *sturmaz "noise, tumult") is any disturbed state of an astronomical body's atmosphere, especially affecting its surface, and strongly implying severe weather. It may be marked by strong wind, thunder and lightning (a thunderstorm), heavy precipitation, such as ice (ice storm), or wind transporting some substance through the atmosphere (as in a dust storm, snowstorm, hailstorm, etc).

So by that measure, the very intense bout of rain I had in Norwich yesterday may well count as a rainstorm, though I am still waiting for my first occurrence of thunder this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! smile.gif

I like the forum design, very easy to get about.

wt i especially like about netweather is i get heavy rain notifications awsome!

For me a thunder storm is classed as heavy rain/hail, multiple lightning and lasting for any amount of time.

I have some footage of a huge thunderstorm last year that i will post later on its not the best quality but im hopeing someone with a little bit more knowledge can explain it!

btw theres a WHOA!!!! everytime theres lightning and i know its annoying but bare with it!!! smile.gif

Edited by Mesodiscussion

Posted

Yeah, I think since thunderstorms vary from time to time and just like parcels, they can come in different shapes and sizes and also form from different setups, there is not really any specific rules to what makes a thunderstorm and/or whether it was a "proper" storm or not.

Posted

Edit: Unless, by intensity you mean the amount of thunder and lightning, in which case I would disagree. I'm was assuming you meant the term thunderstorm says nothing about the intensity of the actual lightning discharges within a storm.

That's correct.

However just as an extra note. the issue with a more powerful thunderstorm with a lot of lightning is that, because the heavy rain/winds are often quite localised most people may just experience some lightning and a bit of light rain, and consider it more of a thundery shower than a storm, whereas those under the heavy rain/wind may find it a lot more fierce, so really yes it does just often come down to a matter of perspective.

It's just simpler to say any event which produces lightning is a "thunderstorm".

Edited by RichardR

Posted

I've always thought of the "No Storms Club" as meaning "no thunderstorms" and, because of the difficulty in determining what a "proper" thunderstorm is and isn't, I count myself out of this club as soon as I see lightning or hear thunder. There's always the chance of feeling a bit cheated when it only involves one or two rumbles of thunder, but I can't think of a better way of classifying it for my own purposes. Otherwise there would be a risk of my own standards varying with time depending on my recent experiences, e.g. a typical Tyne and Wear thunderstorm pales by comparison with a typical Norwich thunderstorm, which in turn pales by comparison with a typical thunderstorm anywhere in eastern or south-western France.

Posted

I like the way you have given the thunderstorms names (lol), like the Norwich thunderstorm and the Tyne and Wear thunderstorm.

Have some great expectations to see some spectacular Birmingham thunderstorms this year. But I wonder which thunderstorm will appear first. The Birmingham thunderstorm vs the Norwich thunderstorm. I think it is going to be a tough battle (although I think I know who might win). biggrin.gif

@Mesodiscussion: Love the colour change you have done to the logo.

I think we should all have a No Storms Club party one day.smile.gif

(Edit: To NetWeather and the moderators: Apologies, I was meant to edit my other post, but clicked on the Add Reply button by mistake, so feel free to delete my post above).

Edit 2: Thankyou.

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Think im gonna join the NO storm clubs, , i reckon i will be the last one in here by the end of the year rofl

Posted

Welcome Mesodiscussion and stormchaser1:hi::blink:

If I can remember I think you were in the NSC last year stormchaser1:)

Good Luck for this year both of you.:)