Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

If its anything like this morning then OMG in huddersfield the black ice was totally unbelievable. I love the snow but black ice forget it

I am just down the road from you on Gledholt near near Green head park I must say i bet its been quite dodgy up scape over the last month

Or brilliant depending on your perspective ! And yes, got out of the village OK this morning, but once I got down into Huddersfield it was the most extreme driving conditions I've ever experienced in an urban area, cars sliding slowly and elegantly into each other like some kind of slow-motion bumper cars, and then the drivers falling over as soon as they got out. Almost comical if it hadn't been so unpleasant for those involved. Luckily I managed, more by luck than judgement, to avoid bumping into anyone else, although the sensation of slowly loosing grip going up a hill, then starting to slide back down, was rather unpleasant, and just goes to prove that even in a 4WD you're not immune to tricky conditions. I was only saved because I managed to drift into the curb where there were no parked cars, then very gingerly reverse against the curb until I got back to a more level piece of road, at which point I was able to turn on a snow-covered driveway and then very very slowly inch back the way I'd come. Not nice.

Posted

Just about stopped here too, the temperature as falled to 0.5 which is the coldest its been for nearly a week believe it or not. Really hope next week delivers for us again, I was getting use to the snow on the ground. Mr Hudson seemed quite confident, hope hes not jinxed it.whistling.gif

Whats your current depth mate, I ve friends in Mirfield who keep winding me upnonono.gif saying they have got tons.

LoLrofl.gif I am not sure about Mirfield, but here I would say about 2-3cms and still snowing!...havent been outside to measure it as I've got a stinking cold, but very easily the depth I've just mentioned if not a tad more. It started off very fine and grainey but gathered pace to give moderate but occasionally heavier burst.

I am a complete novice at all this but I do remember the early eighties event when I lived in south wales, it was so cold the very heavy and drifting snow was sticking to and coming into my bedroom window. We ended up with 5 foot snowdrifts ( a lot deeper in places) and had to dig our way out!!!.......although my memory isnt that good, this winter so far, reminds me of that winter in that the pattern that seems to be playing out right now is so similar.

Posted

Still snowing nearly 6 hours now....

Not anything major but certainly over 1cm

all surfaces covered

nightmare tomorrow

Edited by fazzafarrand

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters

Or brilliant depending on your perspective ! And yes, got out of the village OK this morning, but once I got down into Huddersfield it was the most extreme driving conditions I've ever experienced in an urban area, cars sliding slowly and elegantly into each other like some kind of slow-motion bumper cars, and then the drivers falling over as soon as they got out. Almost comical if it hadn't been so unpleasant for those involved. Luckily I managed, more by luck than judgement, to avoid bumping into anyone else, although the sensation of slowly loosing grip going up a hill, then starting to slide back down, was rather unpleasant, and just goes to prove that even in a 4WD you're not immune to tricky conditions. I was only saved because I managed to drift into the curb where there were no parked cars, then very gingerly reverse against the curb until I got back to a more level piece of road, at which point I was able to turn on a snow-covered driveway and then very very slowly inch back the way I'd come. Not nice.

Dont get me wrong the weather over the last month has what we have all been wanting (almost the holy grail lol) and I am eagerly awaiting the progged easterly for next week. But i could not agree any more about the conditions that you have described above. I drive a transit pickup van rear wheel drive and believe me trying to get up hills this morning was somthing that i would not want attempt again in a hurry i had to park up wait for daylight, but luckly I had some salt on the back of my van so i took it upon my self to salt the road just so I could get goin. Made my way to work in the end but was very difficult to get things done.

Posted

I could tell it was going to be bad when the ice scraper just slid smoothly across the wife's windscreen and then I had to hack at the ice with the corner of the scraper to get through it. Luckily, today, although I managed to sit with feet off the pedals spinning the wheels of the van to make 0.5m progress, my route was fairly ok (once I pulled over, reversed and laughed at those who were previously up my b'side failing in the same way) out to Elland via a looong route! Had the same horrible feeling last week though of going down a hill at Salendine Nook in the snow. Once I ran out of right steer I braced!! Not nice!

A nice covering down the hill here though, again, a good 2+ cm (still snowing slightly). Scar Lane, although gritted at 5ish this afternoon is covered and looks icy!

Posted

I have to say, I'm rather impressed With this spell of snow. It's not the most productive that I've ever had, but it's certainly turning out to be better than I anticipated. There's still a fair amount to come, judging by the radar :D

Posted

I have to say, I'm rather impressed With this spell of snow. It's not the most productive that I've ever had, but it's certainly turning out to be better than I anticipated. There's still a fair amount to come, judging by the radar :)

A nice dusting here mate,which is more than i was expecting if im honest :D

Posted

A nice dusting here mate,which is more than i was expecting if im honest :D

That just reminds me mate, have you remembered put your snow report in? :)

Posted

That just reminds me mate, have you remembered put your snow report in? :)

yep just posted mate.No chance of it thawing tonight, and it's turning rather misty now :cold:

Posted

yep just posted mate.No chance of it thawing tonight, and it's turning rather misty now :cold:

Nice one :) It's still snowing here mate, and there's still more to come. There should be a decent covering in the morning. I doubt that I'll be snowed in :)

Posted

Very suprised to hear Grimsby had snow tonight, here it was just sleet. It looks like we were just about the only area to miss out.

It wasnt really that warm either, with a temperature of 0.9C and dewpoint of -0.4C when the precipitation hit.

Posted

Nice one :cold: It's still snowing here mate, and there's still more to come. There should be a decent covering in the morning. I doubt that I'll be snowed in :)

A few flakes here again now mate,but it won't last long according to the radar.

EDIT it's snowing much faster at the moment :)

Edited by sufc

Posted

Just taken a picture of the snow that's accumulated on our little car. it was totally snow-free this evening, so it gives an indication of what's fallen tonight

post-5487-12634265152728_thumb.jpg

Posted

snizzle most of the evening turned everything white again which is nice

Yes, the snow was light and tiny, I didn't think it would stick to anything but it gave a good dusting. It even started sticking to the main roads that had thawed and were wet!

Just taken a picture of the snow that's accumulated on our little car. it was totally snow-free this evening, so it gives an indication of what's fallen tonight

post-5487-12634265152728_thumb.jpg

That's pretty much how it is here.

Posted

Yes, the snow was light and tiny, I didn't think it would stick to anything but it gave a good dusting. It even started sticking to the main roads that had thawed and were wet!

That's it for tonight I am off to bed

Started at 4.30pm still coming down but looking at rain today its running out

Road was pretty much clear down the middle

Over 7 hours of light snow nice sting in the tail..............

post-7734-12634272353828_thumb.jpg

Posted

It looks like that's nearly it now. There's a massive clear area on the radar which isn't too far away.

It's been a pleasing result, however, and much better than I expected. :cold:

Posted

It looks like that's nearly it now. There's a massive clear area on the radar which isn't too far away.

It's been a pleasing result, however, and much better than I expected. :wallbash:

Stuck it out a bit longer

Now over 8 hours of light snow wow fantastic..........................

Posted

Stuck it out a bit longer

Now over 8 hours of light snow wow fantastic..........................

Excellent :wallbash: I thought the snow had finished for the night, but having looked at the radar it seems

there's another batch of showers on the way

Posted

woohoo had an extra centimeter over night, so thats a nice topping up of 2cm since yestreday afternoon. Not very much but just covers up all the gaps that previously thawed and looks like weve had a good fall smile.gif

post-4607-12634629172728_thumb.jpg

post-4607-12634629551328_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

Not the best runs this morning wallbash.gif, but hardly a disaster!

If you look at the gfs 138h http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn1381.png http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn1384.png, a weather front pushes in from the west and seems to grind to a halt through the spine of england. This could easily turn to snow on its eastern edge and be really quite prolonged, with even the possibility of it to push back westwards with colder weather from the east just having enough of an influence.. I know that Ive hand picked one feature of one run, but it just highlights that the possibility is allways there and with so much weather to get through before 156-168h http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn1621.png where it appears to go seriously wrong, theres no way the models can have this set in stone at such a range.. nonono.gif

I think what is firming up though, we are not likely to have the BEAST from the EAST any time soon (deep cold and heavy snow showers from the east), because I could never really see the scandi high propping far enough north due to atlantic lows goin over the top of it and a lack of low pressure to the south to create a decent squeeze of easterly winds.. nea.gif And to add to that weve now had 2 ecm runs backing away and a couple of poor gfs runs, with the ukmo latest run a little too far from the idea...

But rather than having a seriouse easterly we may yhave a light easterly feed perhaps allowing encroaching atlantic systems to be snow/transiant snow in eastern areas.

What we need is for a AO/NAO heading into good negative territory and WAA heading into greenland, then the show should really be back on biggrin.gif Im not saying we need all those factors but would be nice.

AO http://www.cpc.noaa....ex/ao.sprd2.gif good forecast

NAO http://www.cpc.noaa....a/nao.sprd2.gif not bad

And lets not forget the ground temperatures are much colder than usual and so are our SSTs

http://weather.unisy...surface/sst.gif a good 1/2C colder than normal. So in what could be a future borderline snow event, this could just well tip the balance in our favour smile.gif

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

Hi Guys

Just to let you know the Regional Threads will be Closed at around Midnight tonight and a General Cold Spell Discussion for the Whole Uk Will be Opened at the same time.

Regards

Paul S

Posted

Max of 0.c today, max of -1.c yesterday, forecast max of 1.c tomorrow, hardly mild weather.

What are the chances of snow tomorrow? BBC seem to thinks so, and if the forecast is right there would be snow on Saturday.

Edited by 10123

Posted

Prognosis for tomorrow ?

Today we've lost perhaps an inch of the ten inches or so lying in the fields and moors around our location.

GFS has ppn arriving around 0600 tomorrow but what will it be ? I would expect snow at this height ASL (~1100ft) but Helen Willets was rather vague and did mention freezing rain which would put the kybosh on an early travel start.

Edited by galba