IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

You couldnt make it up - the ticker on the BBC news channel said all

"Snow fails to arrive as milder weather arrives from the East" :cray:

Majoring on the non event this weekend, panic buying, etc

Moderate sleet here for the last 30 mins-

thin layer of slush on the cars- probably a little dusting over shooters hill--

temp 0.6c- but I suspect the dewpoint is close to zero- making the melting faster than any fall rate-

S

Posted

You couldnt make it up - the ticker on the BBC news channel said all

"Snow fails to arrive as milder weather arrives from the East" :lol:

Majoring on the non event this weekend, panic buying, etc

Suspect this was a con to let people buy more to boost the economy :)

However check the Model thread and we have a possible re load in 7 days :cray:

Raining here in East London :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Well, we're now into a less cold regime and its back to more detailed model watching for a reload. This winter is different, so a week from now we could well be back in the freezing cold and snow. That's the hope anyway.

Posted

Suspect this was a con to let people buy more to boost the economy :)

However check the Model thread and we have a possible re load in 7 days :yahoo:

Raining here in East London :)

We've had light snow here for the last 30 mins, not settling though - the streamer of sorts is certainly in affect, raintoday shows it up well if you put in your postcode so it zooms in.

I think we should all look at possible re-load scenarios and where our next dollop is going to come from because we aint going to get anything from this setup anytime soon.

Posted

Thanks Tomo,i am going for that Drink as am fed up and disapointed but hey am very grateful for what snow we have had and had lots of fun with the kids in it,hopefuly see you all soon and no doubt we will all be fretting about how much we might or might not get as the case may be,see you guys and thanks for the good discussions and all your patience with me as you are probably all aware by now i have no clue what i am talking about half the time,but i love the weather and reading you guys posts,night nightdrinks.gif

I know the feeling wee. I am off for some of that nice sloe gin I made in October as I need to drown my sorrows before the slush does it for me! Perhaps if folks could post thier current temps (if they have them) we would know the coldest spots. Here it has been a maximum of 1.6C and currently 1C. Conditions have been no snow at all and just one very slight sleet shower this afternoon. dry apart from that and it is more a sort of shrinking of snow cover than an actual thaw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

A little more action showing up in the Estuary now. We have a window of a few hours with an easterly flow.

Its possible some of the higher ground near the Thames corridor could see a covering.

In N.Kent perhaps close to Strood, higher ground south of Dartford/Gravesend, perhaps up to SE London/NW Kent.

Higher ground also in S.Essex, sorry but do you have any? :)

Perhaps a dusting on some lower ground too.

Cast your minds back to last Sunday evening when we had a very slack flow from the east, we started to see light outbreaks of snow moving westwards along N.Kent, all the way to the SE.London border.

I saw evidence of this, with a slight dusting near the Kent/London border at Hayes, West Wickham and Shirley. Perhaps dew points a bit more marginal tonight though.

Seems so much harder to get a sustained easterly, than it is to get a nor'easter!

I'm also thinking of moving Steve, find me the highest village on the Downs between Bluebell hill and Capel-le Ferne!

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow of course

Just looking at the nonsense forcast the bbc put out Friday for SE which is still up talking about a thaw that will take weeks to melt mines nearly all gone! and the BIG FREEZE they are now calling it a cold snap!....my friend said this must be the most snow you've ever seen, for here 1978,1987 and 1991 were much better even if the cold has lasted longer...just my thoughtsclosedeyes.gif

Looking at the weatheroutlook's forecast for next week, they are replenishing our snow levels back up to about 15 to 17 cms on Wednesday at Watford - bit difficult to see that with thickness levels in the 536 dam area.

Looking at the fax charts this appears to be associated with a occlusion trying to get in from the southwest.

We will wait and see on this one - it seems to me that the precipitation could just as easily be sleet or rain.

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoforecasts/forday_det.aspx?day=3&postcode=wd25+0ag&selected=0

Posted

Um what is happening? Quite a lot of snow comign down now? Should I get excited or go back to watching the darts?

Always get excited when it snows and let the let down later take care of itself.

Posted

moderate snow here lol-

Temps down 0.5c - Sluch building up on the cars-

unlikely to last that long...

S

Light to moderate snow in Ealing. Looks like a rogue shower!

Posted

Looking at the weatheroutlook's forecast for next week, they are replenishing our snow levels back up to about 15 to 17 cms on Wednesday at Watford - bit difficult to see that with thickness levels in the 536 dam area.

Looking at the fax charts this appears to be associated with a occlusion trying to get in from the southwest.

We will wait and see on this one - it seems to me that the precipitation could just as easily be sleet or rain.

http://www.theweathe...+0ag&selected=0

Just tried this site and put my post code in ... still unsure if this is correct but may see a bit more snow by the looks of this ???

post-11103-12631522015342_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

A little more action showing up in the Estuary now. We have a window of a few hours with an easterly flow.

Its possible some of the higher ground near the Thames corridor could see a covering.

In N.Kent perhaps close to Strood, higher ground south of Dartford/Gravesend, perhaps up to SE London/NW Kent.

Higher ground also in S.Essex, sorry but do you have any? :shok:

Perhaps a dusting on some lower ground too.

Cast your minds back to last Sunday evening when we had a very slack flow from the east, we started to see light outbreaks of snow moving westwards along N.Kent, all the way to the SE.London border.

I saw evidence of this, with a slight dusting near the Kent/London border at Hayes, West Wickham and Shirley. Perhaps dew points a bit more marginal tonight though.

Seems so much harder to get a sustained easterly, than it is to get a nor'easter!

I'm also thinking of moving Steve, find me the highest village on the Downs between Bluebell hill and Capel-le Ferne!

Regards,

Tom.

Thin covering here Tom about 3cm at best. Everything covered again. Temp 0.3c DP 0.2c

Posted

Just looking at the nonsense forcast the bbc put out Friday for SE which is still up talking about a thaw that will take weeks to melt mines nearly all gone! and the BIG FREEZE they are now calling it a cold snap!....my friend said this must be the most snow you've ever seen, for here 1978,1987 and 1991 were much better even if the cold has lasted longer...just my thoughtsclosedeyes.gif

I totally agree Snowpro. Certainly more than we've seen for quite a few years, but nowhere near what we had in the years you mention. 1987 we were actually cut-off here, I remember walking our dog (off-lead) down the middle of the main road as there was no chance of any traffic!