Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I hope a slight detection of negativity isn't creeping in for Londoners. The forecast is superb for snow to become widespread across the region, and Monday looks good as well. Of course there is some favourable rural areas that will over shadow any of our snowfall, but for all of tonight beyond 9pm, it's looking overcast with snow, heavy at times.

Posted

Temp at -1.1 :rolleyes:

Edited by Snowblower

Posted

Maidstone has been absolutely hammered since around Noon and at least 5cm/2ins have fallen, probably more but its been blown around. Usually the hills to give us some protection but i think the strength of the wind has blown the showers straight into the river valley that Maidstone sits in and the snow has been unloaded on the poor burgers of the County Town! It appears to have eased off at last.

Your not wrong Chris I've never seen so much in such a short time. Eased off a little bit but looks like its starting up again. I wonder what it will be like in the morning :rolleyes:

Posted

Wow :rolleyes: When was Monday Upgraded LOL

Forecast from Mr Corbett

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/util/setpreference/SetPreference.xhtml?type=node&state=vi:V

Click Forecast Video and Play Button

Paul - Have to say I havent paid too much attention to the beeb forecasts for this spell. The models have been changing so much recently (where it will snow) that by the time they update the forecast, the next model run is out and things change again!

Must be a nightmare, and I think I will take Monday with a pinch of salt for now. Ive noticed that the beeb can be quite literal with the snow graphics recently - reflecting the uncertainty, large areas are shown with snow.

Mr Corbetts earlier forecast (around 2pm I think online) had Sundays snow much further north than SE Essex, and now its back again!

Nightmare for the BBC & Met and roller coaster for us. I find the updates here far more accurate - although it helps with real time snow updates from everyone (mainly Kent!)

Edited by malc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Manston now reporting Heavy Rain

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/observations

Incidentally if you want to see whats coming over from France, use this site, hit "select Preferences" and choose.

Posted

Cheers Steve/Blackie. Just the right side of marginal atm. Please dewpoint gods shine down on all of us tonight! With a warm front approaching this is going to be a close one. Watch those air temps and dps like hawks!

Dewpoint down to -3c now LS :rolleyes:

regards,

Steve

Posted

Snowing now for 15 hours non-stop and substantial amounts have now fallen and are laying in Eastbourne - approx 8" in places in our garden.

Was a little concerned earlier when I walked up to our local with Miss Shoreline to enjoy a pint by the log fire. A fire engine, on its way to an emergency with blues and two's, started to go sideways almost as much as it was going forwards :rolleyes: . Luckily the driver kept it from snaking and regained some forward motion - I had a vision of trying to rescue 6 fireman from an overturned fire engine.

Not a problem now, as the main road past our estate is now snowed under and impassable.

Posted

Erm

Latest Radar Update at 1850 shows the Thames Estuary looks like a 4 year old has just painted it Pink rofl.gifrofl.gifyahoo.gif

It has filled Up with Snow PMSL!

drinks.gifdrunk.gif

Benn quite good here today - enjoying it! Hope more to come tonight/tomorrow. Off out now for a beverage or two - wonder what I'll be walking home in later!

Posted

To all those in London. Just be pateint and one day you will get another thames streamer. That deliver the real business. Gave 6 inches here over night on feb 2nd and we didnt even get hit the hardest!

Feb 09 was the best snowfall i've ever seen.

n510156220_2556805_5467.jpg

n510156220_2556811_3392.jpg

n510156220_2556799_4998.jpg

Since then, i've moved, but only about 3 miles East, i'm still in North Central London.

Believe it or not, today has been the best day for snowfall throughout the whole of this cold period.

We've had around 3 hours constant snowfall today, with about 1cm on the ground.

This cold spell is prolonged, and it's been exciting watching the news and going North to see the family with a lot of snow, but for London, Feb 09 is the best i've seen.

Let's hope for a streamer tonight!!!

Posted

I hope a slight detection of negativity isn't creeping in for Londoners. The forecast is superb for snow to become widespread across the region, and Monday looks good as well. Of course there is some favourable rural areas that will over shadow any of our snowfall, but for all of tonight beyond 9pm, it's looking overcast with snow, heavy at times.

i was a little down on the london snow situation too, but then i went to richmond park today and changed my opinion.

i would urge londoners who feel they've missed out to just go to the parks and you will be surprised.

the snow is around 4 inches deep, there are frozen lakes, ice and snow aplenty and its a very wintry , arctic scene.

couldnt be more differernt from the gritted pavements and roads of westminster which are free of snow.

Edited by jimmyay

Posted

Looks like some more, lightish showers heading this way. Temps 0c/-1c at the airport.

regards,

Steve

Cheers Steve/Blackie. Just the right side of marginal atm. Please dewpoint gods shine down on all of us tonight! With a warm front approaching this is going to be a close one. Watch those air temps and dps like hawks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow; Thunderstorms; Heat Waves

I'm just bored of reading about Kent having tons of snow, then whinging when it's stopped. Annoying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

You got whacked in Feb 09... well, whacked as in 3 inches, compared to the zero we got here! :)

We need to watch out for a Beast from the ESE. Low pressure moving west from the continent bringing seriously cold air with it. Check wetterzentrale archive for 13 Jan 1987 and Feb 6 1991. We need that.

All very strange indeed, strong NEly blowing and -10c hpa air, wheres all the convection, should be lots and lots of hefty showers moving inland by now and certainly No marginal temps, was better than this even in March 05!!! :unknw::doh: This is mid winter!!!

Can someone please explain why its mainly dry apart from deapest Kent?

Glad I stayed out in N Italy now, we have 50/60cms now over here and still snowing.

Posted

I fear I may need to borrow a metre rule from someone shortly if this snow doesn't stop - my 30cm ruler won't be long enough I fear. Goodness knows how many weeks it's going to take to melt this lot! :unknw:

Posted

i was a little down on the london snow situation too, but then i went to richmond park today. i would urge londoners who feel they've missed out to just go to the parks and you will be surprised.

the snow is around 4 inches deep, there are frozen lakes, ice and snow aplenty and its a very wintry , arctic scene.

couldnt be more differernt from the gritted pavements and roads of westminster which are free of snow.

Tried to get Mrs Downpour to go but she moaned something about it being too cold. Hanger Hill Park was great in Ealing on Thursday but we need a top up now. Did people in N/S/SE London get a cm or two today?

Posted

Dewpoint down to -3c now LS :unknw:

regards,

Steve

Your kidding?! Keep praying! Whats the radar saying steve/paul/blackie?

Posted

Tried to get Mrs Downpour to go but she moaned something about it being too cold. Hanger Hill Park was great in Ealing on Thursday but we need a top up now. Did people in N/S/SE London get a cm or two today?

We got 1cm here this afternoon.

BBC Weather latest forecast shows a MASSIVE upgrade for Monday... Widespread snowfall for the whole of England?!

Posted

I'm just bored of reading about Kent having tons of snow, then whinging when it's stopped. Annoying.

I agree. And I am also doubtful about tonight. Looking like a Kent event yet again. I hope to be pleasantly surprised in the morning. But I think I will be stuck with my 1-2 inches of old gear (which I accept is more than our brethren in central and south London have)

Posted

Snow stopped here. Not much coming our way either by the looks of it. Showers had disapeared west of London in the lat 45 mins or so.

Did I hear someone say earlier that BBC said cold is going to win next week. Part of me hopes so but also i cant work when its like this. Anyone shed any light?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Your kidding?! Keep praying! Whats the radar saying steve/paul/blackie?

Yep..confirmed on Weatheronline at 19:00, Southend DP down to -3c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow; Thunderstorms; Heat Waves

No, my snow just melted. Shall I tell everyone it's melting? Because, obviously, everyone cares about that.

Posted

I feel worse....if London can only just manage then I'm further West. Sky is overcast but nothing is falling. I've seen some BBC forecasts that blow any hope out the water nonono.gif