Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

In what way? To be honest I would rather miss the ppn this eve if its nailed on sleet/rain. Dont want that at all. Bloody marginality sucks. I knew this would be the case 48hrs ago, so not too downhearted. Still sucks big time though.

Guys, come on cheer up.... it's not all over yet... from reading some of these recent posts it seems that if snow is NOT exactly falling out of the sky at a lampost near you then some are instantly becoming negative and givin up.

Be patient and give nature a chance to develop... good things come to those who wait rolleyes.gif

Edited by Suttonian

Posted

Can someone on here spare a thought for us snow starved londoners? Nobody looks after us and let's us know what we are likely to see. We have now had four very near misses with snow and one decent fall that was restricted to us in the northern and western suburbs. Yes we know Kent gets snow, but this is not going to be a classic cold spell unless central London bags 7cm plus at some point. I'm starting to lose faith, all the snow is in the same old places. Any advice or forecasts for us londoners?

Posted

i know subscribe too and watched the threads for about 6 years now just tend to lurk, was just getting behind u on the doom and gloom front but thanks 4 putting me in my place

I wasn't trying to sorry lol just that some people are too quick to say it's over when if they look they can see it clearly is not. Welcome lurker no offence meant.

Posted

Put it this way - I have seen 8 hours of non-stop blizzard-like snow giving some 8cm or more on top of the lying snow. Pretty much 1cm / hr now that ain't bad, and most unforecast (scattered showers was the forecast). So I'm not complaining :lol:

Basically anything could pop-up this evening, don't give up just yet!

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted

So with the expected sleet/rain for ne kent and imby. Maybe us folk can have a drip rate challenge this evening? Im going for 3 drips per minute here. Anyone fancy topping that?

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

I wasn't trying to sorry lol just that some people are too quick to say it's over when if they look they can see it clearly is not. Welcome lurker no offence meant.

no worries none taken, got the impression that some of the posters weren't aware of the "blob" and thought it was all over! like a roller coaster in here most of the time! :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

So with the expected sleet/rain for ne kent and imby. Maybe us folk can have a drip rate challenge this evening? Im going for 1 drip per 20 seconds here. Anyone fancy topping that?

I really can't see sleet/rain personally but could be wrong. Have you not had much today? We're right on East Beach so catching the edge and thats been pretty much non stop. Enough to stop buses coming out to Shoebury this evening according to the 2 drivers I spoke to so they are obviously expecting more. Everything is still heading in for this are though and we are still under a severe weather warning until midnight tomorrow, so more to come yet.

Posted

no worries none taken, got the impression that some of the posters weren't aware of the "blob" and thought it was all over! like a roller coaster in here most of the time! :hi:

You're absolutely right, it is exactly like a rollercoaster....... and I HATE rollercoasters!!

Never mind, I took my 6 year old son out for a walk this afternoon in the heaviest snow he's ever seen and his face was an absolute picture, so if I don't get any more I'll still be happy! (Although of course I'm secretly hoping for lots more tonigt) :clap:

Posted

Can someone on here spare a thought for us snow starved londoners? Nobody looks after us and let's us know what we are likely to see. We have now had four very near misses with snow and one decent fall that was restricted to us in the northern and western suburbs. Yes we know Kent gets snow, but this is not going to be a classic cold spell unless central London bags 7cm plus at some point. I'm starting to lose faith, all the snow is in the same old places. Any advice or forecasts for us londoners?

I agree. Kent got similar snowfalls throughout the 00s. So did parts of the North and Wash area. It's not been a big snow event for London and even the majority of Essex in this region.

This cold spell has had one spectacular event for W and SW of London, Surrey, Hampshire and W Kent, other than that it's notable not for its snowfall but for the sustained cold and repeated small snowfalls that have lead to gradual accumulation.

Edited by AtlanticFlamethrower

Posted

Put it this way - I have seen 8 hours of non-stop blizzard-like snow giving some 8cm or more on top of the lying snow. Pretty much 1cm / hr now that ain't bad, and most unforecast (scattered showers was the forecast). So I'm not complaining :clap:

Basically anything could pop-up this evening, don't give up just yet!

MW, Obviously without giving me the keys to your house, where roughly in Maidstone are you, it covers a big old area and snowfall totals around the West fringes, Aylesford/Ditton/Larkfield are no where near yours, probably half. I'm hazarding a guess at Bearstead or maybe Boughton Mon' way.

Posted

Being an older fossil, I think it's probably now 50/50 , the precipitation is so raggedy it appears convection reliant which is not always easy to pin down. We all know London has it's own climate in some ways so it's wait and see time but i wouldn't hold out a lot of hope unless something miraculous changes things.... the radars are not overflowing with reliable precipitation for the London area unsure.gif

Posted

I agree. Kent got similar snowfalls throughout the 00s. So did parts of the North and Wash area. It's not been a big snow event for London and even the majority of Essex in this region.

This cold spell has had one spectacular event for W and SW of London, Surrey, Hampshire and W Kent, other than that it's notable not for its snowfall but for the sustained cold and repeated small snowfalls that have lead to gradual accumulation.

Glad it's not just me. When, if ever, is London going to get smashed?

Posted

MW, Obviously without giving me the keys to your house, where roughly in Maidstone are you, it covers a big old area and snowfall totals around the West fringes, Aylesford/Ditton/Larkfield are no where near yours, probably half. I'm hazarding a guess at Bearstead or maybe Boughton Mon' way.

We've actually moved to Staplehurst just before Christmas, but sadly I'm stuck with this username lol which tends to cause some confusion admittedly.  :D I seem to be within the western edge of the shower train, the eastern edge being Ashford way and all points in between here and Ashford having significant snowfall :)

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted

no worries none taken, got the impression that some of the posters weren't aware of the "blob" and thought it was all over! like a roller coaster in here most of the time! :D

Thanks we are singing from the same hynmn sheet. lol I have done well today and may have more to come later but it is a shame the dark is here now as it is not so easy to see the snow fallinf i have to keep leaving the computer to have a look

Posted

You're absolutely right, it is exactly like a rollercoaster....... and I HATE rollercoasters!!

Never mind, I took my 6 year old son out for a walk this afternoon in the heaviest snow he's ever seen and his face was an absolute picture, so if I don't get any more I'll still be happy! (Although of course I'm secretly hoping for lots more tonigt) :)

Me 2!! we took our two boys 6 and 4 and our mad labrador out sledging (not the dog she just sort of ate snow and tried to knock everyone over) lol :)

Great fun and kids now snow hooked too so all good, snow man tomorrow!! :D

Posted

Hear, hear!

Posted

I really can't see sleet/rain personally but could be wrong. Have you not had much today? We're right on East Beach so catching the edge and thats been pretty much non stop. Enough to stop buses coming out to Shoebury this evening according to the 2 drivers I spoke to so they are obviously expecting more. Everything is still heading in for this are though and we are still under a severe weather warning until midnight tomorrow, so more to come yet.

It's been the same here in Great Wakering, I think maybe we have been lucky!!

Posted

Been snowing here for an hour or so, a slight covering where any gaps had appereard. cant seeing it lasting much longer according to the radar. Can anyone please shed any light as to whether south east surrey may see any more tonight. thanks

Posted

Me 2!! we took our two boys 6 and 4 and our mad labrador out sledging (not the dog she just sort of ate snow and tried to knock everyone over) lol :)

Great fun and kids now snow hooked too so all good, snow man tomorrow!! :)

:) I also have a mad labrador!!

Let's hope we get some more tonight and tomorrow, on the News 24 forecast a few moments ago Monday looked pretty good too! :D

Posted

Hear, hear!

Thanks but we will now be hit with a wall of silence from our "drat the snows stopped and we only have 10cm" friends in Kent.