Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)

wind veering more ENE I think .

The dark sky might just be sunset.....

LOL - the sunset has gone backwards (getting brighter now) :oops:

Posted

Thats just the cloud, don't worry people! no snow there just yet.

So you think this could be something? I'll let you know if anything does fall. :oops:

Posted

I always thought in a Thames streamer set up, the showers never tend to migrate further north than the M25 and effect mainly South London, North Surrey, sussex and north Kent.

Is this correct?

Posted

Hi Hammer,

Would Hertfordshire benefit from this though?

Archie, hard to say at the moment, possibly not, thinking more N Kent. However you may get some snow soon from that stream of showers just to your NE.

Posted

I firmly believe that the 'streamer' you want to be watching is the one out to sea off the EAST coast of EA (that I mentioned about 30 mins ago)

It is clearly starting to tilt NW'wards and I feel this indicates it is coming over the top of our small low. As the low slips SSW this will come more into play, firstly over Suffolk, and Essex, then through the estuary, and as history shows, it doesn;t take too much through the estuary to start picking up energy................

I have been wrong before tho :-)

SS

Posted

I always thought in a Thames streamer set up, the showers never tend to migrate further north than the M25 and effect mainly South London, North Surrey, sussex and north Kent.

Is this correct?

Hmmm..... We got affected here in St. Albans by the streamer back in Feb I think.......

(You in St. Albans Archie?)

Posted

Is this correct?

Completely depends on the prevailing wind, any Easterly with a southerly component will shift precip to places north of the Thames and vice versa for a northerly component.

Posted

Is this correct?

The Feb 09 streamer pasted S/SE London and NW Kent (though not exclusively). Wallington, surrey, for example received around 30cm from that and I recorded well over a foot of snow in Bromley.

For those locations to get hit again you need a steady ENEly.

Edited by pureasthedriven

Posted

Completely depends on the prevailing wind, any Easterly with a southerly component will shift precip to places north of the Thames and vice versa for a northerly component.

Thank you.

So if a thames streamer does set up I take it, its Kent and areas to the south of London that will be the lucky ones today.

Posted

Is this correct?

We bagged six inches of powder on Feb 2 from one, although as you say I think S London tends to do better. Personally I hope they do, I have three plus inches of powder already in Ealing (Hanger Hill Park excellent tobogganing conditions for any snow starved west central Londoners, just get on the fully operational Central Line) but my mate in Brixton is well irritated with his 2cm! Good luck to the guys in south central London who have seen dismal amounts so far!

Posted

post-10736-12628778681152_thumb.jpg

Current data for Linslade

07 January 2010 15:21:12

Temperature (°C):

Current -0.8

Trend (per hour) +0.3

Average today -4.0

Wind chill -0.8

Humidex -3.8

Dew Point -3.6

Rel Humidity 81%

Wind (mph):

Current Gust 9.2 NW

Average Speed 1.6 NW

Pressure (mb):

Current 1011.5

Trend (per hour) +0.3

Posted

Thank you.

So if a thames streamer does set up I take it, its Kent and areas to the south of London that will be the lucky ones today.

the wind has had too much of a northerly component for most of today but is forecast to veer more ENE later, so SE London could be lucky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Is this correct?

It depends on the wind direction. A straight NE'erly will give showers to south London, NW KentSussex and Surrey.

A straight Easterly, ENE'erly or ESE'erly will affect the whole of London, south Essex, and the north coast of Kent (except in an ESE'erly)

Posted

I can see the edge of your clouds, looks to be upto Jct 10 - Under clear blue skies here.

Same as you Paul

It seems to be all round us

Posted

MetO seem very excited about the amount of snow SE England could get in the next two days - judging by what's on the radar I don't see much happening at least today.

DS

Posted

here in gravesend North West Kent. The Wind has changed direction to a ENE over the past 30 mins or so...

Streamer Time! :yahoo:

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

MetO seem very excited about the amount of snow SE England could get in the next two days - judging by what's on the radar I don't see much happening at least today.

DS

Run the radar loop for tomorrow

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weathermap/