Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Im pushing an iceday here, it's -0.4c currentlly... YOU CAN DO IT! :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

No ice day here, 1.0C at the moment, rapid melt of snow going on in the sun!

Posted

Yea saw that but there's still time for changes. I don't think we've seen the end of our share of snow just yet. There's always the possibility of a snowfest breakdown at the end of all this, but I'm not thinking that far ahead just yet. Sunday's still 72 hrs away. That far in the past I was expecting sleet at best!

Snowdrifter,

Yep, 72 hours away is a long time to forecast exactly where troughs/ disturbances will form in a showery airstream. Look for the main high pressure to be as far north as possible and the winds as strong as possible to maximise our chances. Further south and east most at risk, but don't count us out yet. Unlikely to be a snowfest though - we need our own Irish sea streamers for that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

0.4 Here, Sun is melting the snow on house roofs and trees but not affecting the ground at all.

It just goes to show how deep the snow it influences the temp - Im 0.8c colder than you, due to my 9 inches of snow. :nonono:

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

Stockport College closed again, theyve heeded warnings from the Council that have had advance warnings from the MetO of snow due later on today/overnight which could pose problems for tomorrow and over the weekend. Aswell as plummeting temperatures past Sunset giving severe dangerous conditions underfoot.

Many other palces in/around Stockport are also now closing with this advice in mind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Some more pics of snow in our region

this is Hollingworth Lake - near Rochdale

post-8860-12628733179952_thumb.jpg post-8860-12628733564852_thumb.jpg post-8860-12628733800452_thumb.jpg

post-8860-12628734149152_thumb.jpg post-8860-12628734523252_thumb.jpg

hope you enjoy - don;t worry - I have plenty more to bore you all lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Bottomed out at -12.4°C this morning and the highest it's got so far today is -3.8°C! hasn't budged for a little while so possibly the max for today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Some more pics of snow in our region

this is Hollingworth Lake - near Rochdale

hope you enjoy - don;t worry - I have plenty more to bore you all lol

Great pics V - many thanks! I remember driving up there many times when we used to live in Blackley in north Manchester.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!!!

absolutely freeeezing out there. thank heavens for tea and cheese on toast. If the kids were in school it'd be welsh rarebit and old speckled hen.

Meto now warning of a band of heavy snow over gtr manchester...? from midnight til about 6 could happen.

school just said they are opening tomorrow but we'll doubtless get the text in the morning if snow arrives...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Already dropping here too, so I sympathise with the above, will I finally make -10C tonight? I imagine it's a good bet given that there will be no wind at all tonight, whereas at times there was last night.

Posted

Already dropping here too, so I sympathise with the above, will I finally make -10C tonight? I imagine it's a good bet given that there will be no wind at all tonight, whereas at times there was last night.

The latest bbc forecast went for -9c in Manchester for tonight! The only thing that will interfere with the temperature's free fall is the band of cloud and associated snow showers coming from the northeast!

Karyo

Posted

absolutely freeeezing out there. thank heavens for tea and cheese on toast. If the kids were in school it'd be welsh rarebit and old speckled hen.

Meto now warning of a band of heavy snow over gtr manchester...? from midnight til about 6 could happen.

school just said they are opening tomorrow but we'll doubtless get the text in the morning if snow arrives...

I've seen the advisories for the weekend on the MetO site - where are the warnings for tonight? probably me being stoopid lol

Posted

Excellent piccies V! Ive been to Hollingworth a few Xmases ago and it was partially frozen. I'm going to have one of those piccies as my desktop piccie, hope you don't mind :D

Some snowmelt here off roofs etc where sun has been on it all day, forming quite interesting icicles!

Posted

The latest bbc forecast went for -9c in Manchester for tonight! The only thing that will interfere with the temperature's free fall is the band of cloud and associated snow showers coming from the northeast!

Karyo

I dont think thats due til about 1 or 2am though is it? if that's the case and given Manchester was probably already below -10C by 1am last night maybe there's a good chance, especially if there's no wind!

I can very much imagine how cold Woodford was this morning, I used to have to go in the freezers at work which are set at -18C, and it is not a nice experience, even if you're the most hardcore snow/cold fan, -18C is a good figure but it's absolutely horrible to be in. I was stuck in that freezer for half an hour and it was very painful!

Posted

Check that little feature on netw radar spiralling off the E coast of Scotland, looks really weird...

Posted

Excellent piccies V! Ive been to Hollingworth a few Xmases ago and it was partially frozen. I'm going to have one of those piccies as my desktop piccie, hope you don't mind biggrin.gif

Some snowmelt here off roofs etc where sun has been on it all day, forming quite interesting icicles!

Daz - no - I don't mind at all - I take that as a very great compliment actually - I'm actually blushing here. I actually lowered the resolution of the files to make them quicker to upload - if you would prefer the full resolution, tell me which on and I will upload it

thanks for the vote of confidence smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Posted

I dont think thats due til about 1 or 2am though is it? if that's the case and given Manchester was probably already below -10C by 1am last night maybe there's a good chance, especially if there's no wind!

I can very much imagine how cold Woodford was this morning, I used to have to go in the freezers at work which are set at -18C, and it is not a nice experience, even if you're the most hardcore snow/cold fan, -18C is a good figure but it's absolutely horrible to be in. I was stuck in that freezer for half an hour and it was very painful!

Yes, it might hit -10c before the cloud moves in! There could be an increasing northeasterly breeze ahead of the cloud which can limit the fall of the temperature. At the moment, there is no breath of wind and the sky is totally clear, just like under a strong high pressure cell. If it wasn't for the radar and the forecasts, I wouldn't expect any cloud for tonight.

I can imagine that half an hour in the freezer was very painful for you! I waited for the bus for half an hour this morning when it was -10c here! It couldn't feel my feet but I liked it! lol

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

think ive reached my max temp today -2.9c at 13.50, now fallen to -3.1c

lovely winters day clear skies and all day frost.....

altnaharra highlands -12c already!! -20c or less possible?

Edited by james12

i dont think the word marginal will be cropping up tonight! :fool::D