Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

We seem to be between streamers at the moment: check out HU17 and you will see what I mean cc_confused.gif

Temp here is -3.9°C with a DP of -6.2°C, which is only 0.3°C off my coldest temp this winter.

I am a bit freaked by that low in the N Sea, it seems at the mo to making a beeline for here. I can remember the blizzard of January 1982 and the associated ice storm and, whilst I love snow, blizzards are scary things and I really don't want one. I am worried by reports of 35mph winds from the East as I vividly remember no electric for three weeks and no traffic, food etc.

I guess that's what the winters of old were like: I remember other REAL blizzards too: January 1978 for instance.

Oh well, let's see what Lewis' chart has in store......

EDIT: temp now -4.1°C

Posted

Noticed that shower activity has really pepped up over the last hour in Lincolnshire and these might make it down to Northants. In the Midlands thread they are too interested comparing temperatures to be bothered with precipitation anymore, it would seem. Can I stay here for a while. And right on, it starts snowing, huzzah.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

you can but i think everyones gone to bed :cold: temperature back up to minus 5 now with them showers passing by for now...snow blows horizontally more so than falling vertically when they do come.

Posted

We seem to be between streamers at the moment: check out HU17 and you will see what I mean cc_confused.gif

Temp here is -3.9°C with a DP of -6.2°C, which is only 0.3°C off my coldest temp this winter.

I am a bit freaked by that low in the N Sea, it seems at the mo to making a beeline for here. I can remember the blizzard of January 1982 and the associated ice storm and, whilst I love snow, blizzards are scary things and I really don't want one. I am worried by reports of 35mph winds from the East as I vividly remember no electric for three weeks and no traffic, food etc.

I guess that's what the winters of old were like: I remember other REAL blizzards too: January 1978 for instance.

Benson in Oxfordshire is recording a staggering -15 & -17 DP :rofl::cold::rofl: . Hope you beat your record :rofl: .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Noticed that shower activity has really pepped up over the last hour in Lincolnshire and these might make it down to Northants. In the Midlands thread they are too interested comparing temperatures to be bothered with precipitation anymore, it would seem. Can I stay here for a while.

Hi Mackerel.

I guess if any of our resident south Lincs contributors start reporting snow, then you've got a fighting chance. For what it's worth, it's snowing here in Louth at present.

Posted

If the low pressure carried on as it is (travelling from east to west), it would be to the north of me, the low pressure will have to make quite a dramatic turn south to be where the GFS/BBC predicted. Maybe further north than predicted?

Posted

Benson in Oxfordshire is recording a staggering -15 & -17 DP shok.gifcold.gifshok.gif . Hope you beat your record good.gif .

Brass monkeys anyone? Wonder what it is in hay on Wye and Braemar? I dread to think....

Posted

The weather station I use has been showing winds from the North-North West for the last two hours, if this is correct then maybe the low could be further north than predicted?

Edited by 10123

Posted

here ya go guys, hope this is of any help.

The occluded front, notice the black line, it's where i expect the main area of precip to align.

chart.png

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

here ya go guys, hope this is of any help.

The occluded front, notice the black line, it's where i expect the main area of precip to align.

chart.png

Very Interesting, what has made you put West Yorkshire/North Yorkshire and more especially North West england in red, has there been any changes? Because this isn't in line with the BBC

Edited by 10123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Wow what a shock coming into Leeds after a relatively shower free day.

Coming home, the roads are a total mess. My street is a total mess. I somehow managed to do a parallel park in deep snow, a gap just bigger than the car. Must be used to it now.

I got out and my foot and ankle just disappeared into the snow. Totally shocked me as I wasn't expecting it at all.

Been in the back and on the bike cover there's 7 inches but that is shaded. Exposed areas will be around 8 inches.

Is there more snow to come? If so, i'll put the orange flag on the house so that it sticks out of the snow, telling all that there is a house underneath. :good:

Sorting pictures out now.

Posted

Very Interesting, what has made you put West Yorkshire/North Yorkshire and more especially North West england in red, has there been any changes? Because this isn't in line with the BBC

Lewis,

Should the spiral not go the other way? I'm confused!

Tony

Posted

i forgot to remove them area's but them areas are on my risk map for a lot of snow friday/saturday :lol:

Posted

The weather station I use has been showing winds from the North-North West for the last two hours, if this is correct then maybe the low could be further north than predicted?

I have the same since 16:00, however, the wind has been virtually non-existant. I hope its not the calm before the storm.....

Posted

Thanks for spotting it,

I forgot to rotate it lol.

Updated

This LP looks like really bad news to me and it looks like it is heading for here or just South of here. The problem with blizzards is they are really bl**dy scary things. Roads block in minutes, powerlines come down and its hard to keep warm (especially if you are old etc.).

This really doesn't look too good at all: there is lots of powder snow on the ground here which can blow around, it won't need much new snow to cause very serious problems indeed. However, I can't see us escaping this one if that LP keeps its course. Is the Met Office not worried about this? If we escape somewhere down South won't.

Posted

Stay safe everyone. This cold snap could turn from joyful to dreadful in a day. The fun is starting to wear off now.

Anyhow, my pictures are up on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=168543&id=734994082&l=410c88b5bc

One to look at is my kitchen view. I take one every morning when there is a snow risk. Compare them and you can see the depths grow.

Posted

Thanks for spotting it,

I forgot to rotate it lol.

Updated

Has this low moved a fair bit further north than was expected mate?

Posted

Stay safe everyone. This cold snap could turn from joyful to dreadful in a day. The fun is starting to wear off now.

Anyhow, my pictures are up on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=168543&id=734994082&l=410c88b5bc

One to look at is my kitchen view. I take one every morning when there is a snow risk. Compare them and you can see the depths grow.

Fantastic pictures there, thanks for sharing, i especially like this one :)

20263_257033279082_734994082_4339543_2647471_n.jpg

We have been having snow showers in Boston for the last hour. It has stopped now but it looks like on the radar that there is more to come.

I really hope we don't get a blizzard here. I lived through too many of those in Oregon, USA. I am getting too old for them. :unsure:

Posted

Has this low moved a fair bit further north than was expected mate?

Hard to say, it's definitely what i would call "more slow moving on it's track SW'wards" but look below at the image i made, i cannot see the center of the low being that far south.

post-2644-12628235760552_thumb.png

Posted

Fantastic pictures there, thanks for sharing, i especially like this one :)

20263_257033279082_734994082_4339543_2647471_n.jpg

Thanks, glad my link works :unsure:

I can say that the snow is deep enough for me to get my roof avalanches now. Seen some already on the A1 near J38 which now have icicles hanging from the snow.