Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

well it looks like its are turn for the snow over yorks/lincs drinks.gif when is that LP going to come inland 5am 6am cc_confused.gif

temp here on the coast -2.1c, dew point -5.4c at 22:44pm

Posted

if mother nature wants to be fair she should send this low to south lincs bringing accumulations because we have had barely anything fall since saturday afternoon. :unsure:

nearly -6 here now :)

Edited by dapick2002

Posted

The radar is showing rather frequent light showers round my area, but the sky has been completely clear for hours :unsure:

Posted

The radar is showing rather frequent light showers round my area, but the sky has been completely clear for hours :unsure:

It was snowing lightly around 15-20mins ago!

Posted

It was snowing lightly around 15-20mins ago!

I hope we get a top up tomorrow,as we've been rather unlucky lately by being stuck in the gap :blush:

Posted

The radar is showing rather frequent light showers round my area, but the sky has been completely clear for hours :blush:

well one of those heavier blobs happend to hit here which was very lucky!

Posted

I hope we get a top up tomorrow,as we've been rather unlucky lately by being stuck in the gap :blush:

Yeh, you guys deserve a good pasting :) I really need to get to York on Friday, so I could do without being snowed in.

Posted

Iam going to gess the best place for the humber area to get lots of snow is if the LP come inland between Mablethorpe and Skegness so we get the most snow cc_confused.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

well it looks like its are turn for the snow over yorks/lincs drinks.gif when is that LP going to come inland 5am 6am cc_confused.gif

temp here on the coast -2.1c, dew point -5.4c at 22:44pm

It probably won't - As Lewis said (and as recent experience has shown) these features are a sod to accurately forecast - for what it's worth, the 18z GFS operational has it tracking more or less due south down the north sea tomorrow bringing near gale NNE to parts of the East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire coast. Fortunately it's not a particularly deep low and the tides are not progged to be very high, as winds in that direction can be problematic in terms of over-topping of coastal defences. Wouldn't surprise me if tomorrow morning's High Tide comes close to 8 metres, somewhere like Mablethorpe or Saltfleet on the Lincs Coast. With the wind and potentially some sleet/snow, tomorrow might be quite a wild one. We then get another windy and potentially difficult period Friday and into Saturday.

Edited by Just Before Dawn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.

snowing steadily in louth now. It seems the showers in the north sea seem to be intensifying and gathering into streamers.

kev

Posted

Yeh, you guys deserve a good pasting :) I really need to get to York on Friday, so I could do without being snowed in.

Since Net Weather took of the additional overlays on the Radar+, it's making my life a little harder as to which way the uppers are moving :( , looking at the low in the N.Sea (through Sat24) it does look an impressive feature, it has maintained a western momentum but looks likely it will soon start to move SW as it interacts with forcing from the North, nice rotating loop on it.

Posted

It probably won't - As Lewis said (and as recent experience has shown) these features are a sod to accurately forecast - for what it's worth, the 18z GFS operational has it tracking more or less due south down the north sea tomorrow bringing near gale NNE to parts of the East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire coast. Fortunately it's not a particularly deep low and the tides are not progged to be very high, as winds in that direction can be problematic in terms of over-topping of coastal defences. Wouldn't surprise me if tomorrow morning's High Tide comes close to 8 metres, somewhere like Mablethorpe or Saltfleet on the Lincs Coast. With the wind and potentially some sleet/snow, tomorrow might be quite a wild one. We then get another windy and potentially difficult period Friday and into Saturday.

Even if the LP goes south the size of the clouds spiralling out should hit the E Yorkshire and Lincolnshire coasts whistling.gif . Will a high tide tonight make the difference between lot of snow or no snow cc_confused.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.

Even if the LP goes south the size of the clouds spiralling out should hit the E Yorkshire and Lincolnshire coasts whistling.gif . Will a high tide tonight make the difference between lot of snow or no snow cc_confused.gif

it shouldnt make any difference clee

Posted

Warning just put out from Met office -

Yorkshire & Humber: E Riding of Yorkshire

NE Lincolnshire

Heavy Snow 2251 Wed 6 0800 Thu 7

Sleet and snow showers are expected to give further accumulations of around 5cm overnight. This will fall onto frozen surfaces causing icy stretches on untreated surfaces. Some drifting and blowing snow is possible in strong winds.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advise on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 2253 Wed 6 Jan

Posted

Totally agree with you JBD, spot on.

See i have an idea of what will happen, but i don't want to say it and disappoint folks, plus i don't want to loose any credibility with you guys if it goes wrong, it is very very hard to forecast it.

All i can say is keep the radar watching, and keep checking the sat images http://www.sat24.com/scan

If your in Lincs, and with 40 miles from the coast, you should be quite happy tomorrow, that's all i shall say :nonono:

Regarding E Yorkshire, i'll keep it in my head rofl.

Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

No it won't, but it is a potentially concerning feature in the 24 hours if the wind really does back. there's a 6.5m tide forecast for the lincolnshire coast - 35mph NE winds (on-shore) can lift a tide 2m -8.5m tides are the point at which people like me who work in flood risk management start to get a bit twitchy. No likely effect on snowfall, but potentially something to keep half an eye on, especially if the lp centre moves further west than progged. Fortunately, it's fairly benign in low pressure terms, and it's forming inquite a southerly location in the North Sea basin, so no chance of surface water forcing ahead of the low which is what creates storm surge tides. Might make for some good photography though, if you're in the area and have 19 layers of clothes on!

Yes, the precipitation should come a fair way inland tomorrow, though the airflow and wind speed on Friday Night and Saturday look more favourable for dragging snow further inland. I thought you were asking whether they LP system itself would come inland. :nonono:

Edited by Just Before Dawn

Posted

Since Net Weather took of the additional overlays on the Radar+, it's making my life a little harder as to which way the uppers are moving :nonono:

Yeh, sorry about that Cal. Although it doesn't help us this-evening, I'm sure we'll have it back on as soon as it's possible :o

Posted

Yeh, sorry about that Cal. Although it doesn't help us this-evening, I'm sure we'll have it back on as soon as it's possible :)

I understand mate, it's not as if this kind of prolonged situation happens every winter :) !

Snowing lightly again.

Edited by Cal

Posted

havent been on here for a number of days, but cannot get over this snow and the cold so far this winter. unbelievable, yesterday we got sent home from 6th form/school and the snow on the ground covered your feet as you walked in it and the snow on the grass was around 20 cm deep in my garden and the snow has drifted alot too. i walked home after 6th form got shut yesterday and i walked through a footpath whic is seperated by wonderful fields and scenary and on the sides of the footpath the snow was brilliant, it was all blown to the sides and it really did pile up. i havent seen anything like it and the snow is thicker than that of feb 09. i also woke up to find the front of my house breeding more and more icicles. yesterday there was only few and now they have breeded and grown. bless them lol.clap.gif

3486amc.jpg

OMG I haven't seen icicles like that in a long time! When we kids we used to break them off the gutters and pretend they were ice loolies, nice!!!lol

Posted

Right, i have decided to do a chart, for tomorrow. I'll make it now.

If i get it wrong, sorry smile.gif

Gimmie 20 mins guys.

Lewis

If you do, its all part of forecasting ! ... we all will appreciate the time taken and for sticking your neck on (when most of us wouldn't dare)