Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

So, the snow showers for East Anglia and the SE seems to be upgrading slightly for tomorrow. Anyone want to give their opinion on how much we're likely to see?

Posted

About 10cm level snow in South Maidstone. Apparently both Bluebell & Detling Hills closed by snow, ice & abandoned vehicles. Radio Kent providing a great public service, don't travel in this part of the world unless you have to.

We had heavy snow from 4pm to about 7pm, since then its been lighter and intermitent.

i got into work tonight and the day shift guys are staying here tonight. they all live medway area and apparently its virtually closed off :)

Posted

Hmmm Saturday/sunday's set-up is a real tricky one, a very broad region of precip could move in from France and spread across...however I suspect it won't be heavy but rather the light and presistant type...

Before then though could well see some showers moving off the north-sea into this region...

However one snow event at a time!

Yes, atm it does like light,but it does like very persistant and quite slow moving, although at the moment it appears to be light, I think there could be still quite decent snowfall out of it, and the PPN could be upgraded nearer the time. Still, 4 days away at least...

Posted

Another Great Update from Paul Blight (PJB) Ukww

A few points bolded which will give a good indication of what we could get over the next 4 days

Briefly looks like Snow Tomorrow, More in the way of Convective Showers for Friday and ANOTHER Channel Low Scenario for Sat/Sun - LOL

The last of the Last nights Low pressure is now finally easing from the SE, and should be largely clear of the SE by Midnight. The UK is then in a firmly blocked scenario. An upper and surface high remains over Greenland. A weak low is moving south through the developing ridge (currently nr 62N 10W), this low coming South and reinforcing the block as high pressure then establishes itself to the North of the UK into Scandinavia as a new upper high develops nr the Faeroes. The sharp upper trough currently stretching from Scandinavia to France will disrupt over the next 72 hrs with a cut off upper level low becoming slow moving over Southern Europe with an extension towards the British Isles. OVer the Weekend a shortwave comes SW into the western end of this cutoff low and extends west forming a new cutoff low to the south of the UK with a surface inflexion across the southern British ISles bringing more snow.

The trend into next week is for less cold air to advect across the UK at least aloft, though with the lower level airmass likely to be coming from the continent, its likely to remain chilly to say the least.

Of more immediete concern are the constant snow showers streaming into NE England and the Polar Low type feature (not a true Polar Low) coming west across the North Sea, models indicate further persistent Snow showers coming into NE England tonight giving (another!) 10-15cm in places, as contour heights build we will gradually see a slow reduction.

The low over German Bight will comes west then SWto cross East Anglia and the SE later tomorrow and then relax west through the Eastern Channel into Friday. Models will not advect the convection inland far enough, therefore further Snow sHowers coming into East Anlgia and SE England later tomorrow, A very cold and icy night first with snow freezing quite hard overnight tonight. Snow Showers coming into the SE on Friday and extending west at times giving another several cms in the east and lesser amounts inland. However largely dry now for the next few days across SW England , Wales, NW England, Midlands with sunshine by day and harsh frosts overnight. its really the East and SE for any snow over the next 72hrs.

Late on Sat, into Sunday developments become complex, but I am glad to see more agreement between the GFS, ECM and UKMO GM in developing the new upper level low to the SOuth with a surface weakness moving west. This instability spreads snow into Southern England on Sunday and north into Wales, the SW and the Midlands into Sunday night. Higher WBFL's coming into the SE and East Anglia meaning more of a mix of rain/sleet and snow here with windward coasts likely to see more liquid precip, however inland we will see Snow with further possible significant accumulations coming North.

INto next week and GFS and UKMO have low pressure ganging up to the SW of the UK, the GFS taking this NE and allowing milder air into the UK, however the 12Z ECM remains firmly blocked with a low running east over N France threatening more problems (though airmass is generally less cold but still negative dewpoints inland) with high pressure remaining firmly in change to the north of the UK right out to t+240. The GFS Ensemble was more mixed with a scattergun of solutions portrayed after the 14th ...

Only downside with the above would be Sleet and Rain on English Channel Coasts it seems

Paul S

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

All stopped , we ended up with 3cm!

Plus the 2cm on some of the previous snowfall on the grass

Posted

i just posted this in the model section all i can is more snow snow and dumping snow!!!!! 10 and the 11th of Jan, plus my sister in lawphoned us she 10 miles at the coast in felixstowe they had 8 inches us hardly an inch !!!!

Cheers for that. Wow if that come off forget work monday! Think the ECM has gone a bit crazy with the crayon, nice to look at constant snow for 24hrs on a chart though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Only downside with the above would be Sleet and Rain on English Channel Coasts it seems

Paul S

Bit like last time then? which did turn to snow even on the iow!. So north kent is looking favourable still @:cc_confused:

Posted

So, the snow showers for East Anglia and the SE seems to be upgrading slightly for tomorrow. Anyone want to give their opinion on how much we're likely to see?

This is my opinion:

North EA (Norfolk, Cambs, Peterborough, Maybe Suffolk) 2-7cm

South EA and London 1-4cm

Of course locally there could be more than this

Posted

Hubby has to get from work on sheppey to herne bay tonight....anyone know what the M2 is like? ( presuming he can get off the island!)

Is that him lol,he has the M2 to himself :cc_confused:

post-8172-12628081965152_thumb.jpg

Posted

Sorry this might sound lazy but i have gone back through most of the threads today to find the picture posted earlier in i think surrey with the two cars? anyone point me in the right direction? also last year was there not a snowman competion? would be nice to see all the pics of all the snowmen built

Posted

BBC Kent just said, cars coming from Sheppey must use the Kingsferry Bridge.. the new bridge is closed it seems.

Hi all,first post and I must thank all at at NW for "accurate forecasts" so glad I didn't venture out to work today....I would have had a nightmare journey home. Seems there's problems entering my profile details so, as for this asl, realised I'm not in a chat room so my age, sex, location doesn't matter....only location....(phew) I'm in Chattenden, Rochester(sort of) more towards Isle of Grain more precisely on Four Elms Hill......had lots of snow here, especially the blizzard around 4pm!! Just an update as people here earlier were asking for details this neck of woods

Posted

i just posted this in the model section all i can is more snow snow and dumping snow!!!!! 10 and the 11th of Jan, plus my sister in lawphoned us she 10 miles at the coast in felixstowe they had 8 inches us hardly an inch !!!!

Its no way near that! 4 at most

Posted

Another Great Update from Paul Blight (PJB) Ukww

A few points bolded which will give a good indication of what we could get over the next 4 days

Briefly looks like Snow Tomorrow, More in the way of Convective Showers for Friday and ANOTHER Channel Low Scenario for Sat/Sun - LOL

The last of the Last nights Low pressure is now finally easing from the SE, and should be largely clear of the SE by Midnight. The UK is then in a firmly blocked scenario. An upper and surface high remains over Greenland. A weak low is moving south through the developing ridge (currently nr 62N 10W), this low coming South and reinforcing the block as high pressure then establishes itself to the North of the UK into Scandinavia as a new upper high develops nr the Faeroes. The sharp upper trough currently stretching from Scandinavia to France will disrupt over the next 72 hrs with a cut off upper level low becoming slow moving over Southern Europe with an extension towards the British Isles. OVer the Weekend a shortwave comes SW into the western end of this cutoff low and extends west forming a new cutoff low to the south of the UK with a surface inflexion across the southern British ISles bringing more snow.

The trend into next week is for less cold air to advect across the UK at least aloft, though with the lower level airmass likely to be coming from the continent, its likely to remain chilly to say the least.

Of more immediete concern are the constant snow showers streaming into NE England and the Polar Low type feature (not a true Polar Low) coming west across the North Sea, models indicate further persistent Snow showers coming into NE England tonight giving (another!) 10-15cm in places, as contour heights build we will gradually see a slow reduction.

The low over German Bight will comes west then SWto cross East Anglia and the SE later tomorrow and then relax west through the Eastern Channel into Friday. Models will not advect the convection inland far enough, therefore further Snow sHowers coming into East Anlgia and SE England later tomorrow, A very cold and icy night first with snow freezing quite hard overnight tonight. Snow Showers coming into the SE on Friday and extending west at times giving another several cms in the east and lesser amounts inland. However largely dry now for the next few days across SW England , Wales, NW England, Midlands with sunshine by day and harsh frosts overnight. its really the East and SE for any snow over the next 72hrs.

Late on Sat, into Sunday developments become complex, but I am glad to see more agreement between the GFS, ECM and UKMO GM in developing the new upper level low to the SOuth with a surface weakness moving west. This instability spreads snow into Southern England on Sunday and north into Wales, the SW and the Midlands into Sunday night. Higher WBFL's coming into the SE and East Anglia meaning more of a mix of rain/sleet and snow here with windward coasts likely to see more liquid precip, however inland we will see Snow with further possible significant accumulations coming North.

INto next week and GFS and UKMO have low pressure ganging up to the SW of the UK, the GFS taking this NE and allowing milder air into the UK, however the 12Z ECM remains firmly blocked with a low running east over N France threatening more problems (though airmass is generally less cold but still negative dewpoints inland) with high pressure remaining firmly in change to the north of the UK right out to t+240. The GFS Ensemble was more mixed with a scattergun of solutions portrayed after the 14th ...

Paul S

Very nice. But being picky, not another channel low that misses us?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

Hi all,first post and I must thank all at at NW for "accurate forecasts" so glad I didn't venture out to work today....I would have had a nightmare journey home. Seems there's problems entering my profile details so, as for this asl, realised I'm not in a chat room so my age, sex, location doesn't matter....only location....(phew) I'm in Chattenden, Rochester(sort of) more towards Isle of Grain more precisely on Four Elms Hill......had lots of snow here, especially the blizzard around 4pm!! Just an update as people here earlier were asking for details this neck of woods

HA HA HA!! ASL is 'Above Sea Level' (for your location) !!

Very important meteorologically

Edited by winterfreak

Posted

Son still stuck on coach, apparently the police have shut the A20 roundabout for the junction of M20 at Hollingbourne, traffic queuing to get onto Motorway, reports of Willington St also shut

Posted

still snowing heavily here in the Low Weald, 2 inches this evening at just 35m ASL.

Bad road conditions in town then k66yla. The M20 might as well close, it's absolutely gridlocked for the whole stretch around Maidstone.

Edited by maidstone weather