Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Sensationalist Media Storytelling Has Started..

Posted

Had hoped that this winter may be a bit different in TV/Media land compared to the over sentationalism that was used to describe last Febs snowfalls in the south east. Alas, it seems today that they have all reverted back to type, I just wish they got there quotes and facts regarding statistics right when it comes to comparing the current spell of weather to previous years. I've lost count of the number of times they seem to like to round things up.

Sorry but this is going to be a bit of a winge of a post - but it would be nice to see if others share my views.

Take yesterday, on one BBC report they were calling this winter the worst in 15 years - I think they were referring to winter 95/96 which is actually 14 years.

Then today, they are saying the longest cold snap in nearly 30 years - but at other times since 1981/82 why not just keep with the 1981/82 nearly 30 years doesn't tell you when exactly..

The use of the word snap annoys me this infers to me just a few days, they should be saying at least spell if not period..

Oh dear I'm going to carry on here..

In terms of actual comparisons to winter 81/82, well I think they are incorrect, in my book this cold spell set in just over two and half weeks ago (17th dec) away from Scotland when it set in over 3 weeks. However, in the south it has not been a continuous cold spell.

Dec and first half of Jan 97 was a longer protracted cold spell, this was only 13 years ago, we had a cold spell of equal intensity during late jan 96 - mid feb 96 nearly 3 weeks beating the current timescales and also dec 95 nearly 4 weeks.

Examples of longer cold spells are late jan 91-mid feb 91, definately feb 86 - they seem to have forgotton and jan/feb 85 all longer in duration than this one.

The only reason why they are comparing to 1981/82 is because it sounds better to say nearly 30 years than the actual truth which is 13 years, and also so the inevitable comparisons to a period of general economic uncertainty as occured in that winter can also be made. Watch by next week they will be comparing it to 78/79 and then they can throw in the general election coming up comparisons in - its senationalist media hyping - and it is really annoying me.

If we have the cold spell with us in about 2 weeks time then yes they will be right in comparing to the length of 81/82 which was about 5 weeks, but its a bit premature saying it now.

There I've got that off my chest..

Now breathe..

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

Had hoped that this winter may be a bit different in TV/Media land compared to the over sentationalism that was used to describe last Febs snowfalls in the south east. Alas, it seems today that they have all reverted back to type, I just wish they got there quotes and facts regarding statistics right when it comes to comparing the current spell of weather to previous years. I've lost count of the number of times they seem to like to round things up.

Sorry but this is going to be a bit of a winge of a post - but it would be nice to see if others share my views.

Take yesterday, on one BBC report they were calling this winter the worst in 15 years - I think they were referring to winter 95/96 which is actually 14 years.

Then today, they are saying the longest cold snap in nearly 30 years - but at other times since 1981/82 why not just keep with the 1981/82 nearly 30 years doesn't tell you when exactly..

The use of the word snap annoys me this infers to me just a few days, they should be saying at least spell if not period..

Oh dear I'm going to carry on here..

In terms of actual comparisons to winter 81/82, well I think they are incorrect, in my book this cold spell set in just over two and half weeks ago (17th dec) away from Scotland when it set in over 3 weeks. However, in the south it has not been a continuous cold spell.

Dec and first half of Jan 97 was a longer protracted cold spell, this was only 13 years ago, we had a cold spell of equal intensity during late jan 96 - mid feb 96 nearly 3 weeks beating the current timescales and also dec 95 nearly 4 weeks.

Examples of longer cold spells are late jan 91-mid feb 91, definately feb 86 - they seem to have forgotton and jan/feb 85 all longer in duration than this one.

The only reason why they are comparing to 1981/82 is because it sounds better to say nearly 30 years than the actual truth which is 13 years, and also so the inevitable comparisons to a period of general economic uncertainty as occured in that winter can also be made. Watch by next week they will be comparing it to 78/79 and then they can throw in the general election coming up comparisons in - its senationalist media hyping - and it is really annoying me.

If we have the cold spell with us in about 2 weeks time then yes they will be right in comparing to the length of 81/82 which was about 5 weeks, but its a bit premature saying it now.

There I've got that off my chest..

Now breathe..

Couldn't agree more - EVERYTHING is getting sensationalised nowadays, presumably to grab our gnat-like attention spans! I heard 'Des' on BBC East Midlands TV the other day describe -4C as an 'incredibly severe frost'. Now he is a laugh, granted - a nice guy too, I'm told - but in my book -4C is surely nothing more than a 'sharp frost'. The sort we used to get quite often in most winters when I was younger (late 60s/70s - 54 now).

Today I have heard BBC Radio journalists describe how 'the blizzard hit late yesterday'. Blizzard? What blizzard?? A blizzard is a full-blown snowstorm. Moderate/heavy snowfall, perhaps, but surely a blizzard involves appreciable wind and whiteout conditions? We have had several Met Office warnings this winter of 'heavy snow', when what they mean might only amount to 1". That's little more than a dusting, not 'heavy snow'! Heavy snow is 6"+ to me.

It seems to me that our official forecasters are desperately trying to cover their proverbials all the time in case they get it wrong. Sadly we live in a 'blame and compo' culture and take no responsibility ourselves. So we end up getting forecasts that go wildly over the top: those of us who take any notice at all prepare for the worst and are continually made to look stupid by far less severe outcomes. Is it any wonder that forecasters have become a joke to many people?!

WARNING: There is a chance of further moderate to severe rants over the coming days..... :lol: