Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 14

Ross B

Posted

Just phoned my parents who live a few hundred metres from Carrbridge station. They have 50 cm of snow and falling branches (due to weight of snow) has been a big problem; trains from Inverness having to stop all the time to clear them.

Apparently, the train was coming south from Inverness. The descent from the Slochd summit is very steep and goes through a deep problem cutting (problem for drifting, mini avalanches onto the line) before coming onto a high embankment/bridge over the river before entering the station.

Well, my folks say the whole house started shaking. At the same time, the train was blasting it's horn continuously as it approached the station.

Seems the train may have come down the descent too fast and hit some snow/branches derailing one of the cars. This led the driver to sound a warning as houses line the track on the approach to the station.

As far as they can tell, nothing came completely off the rails; i.e. the train is still in one piece. Only two people on board with one slightly injured.

Police etc all over the place.

Could have been a lot worse as 5 houses lie within 10 m of the line.

Pics here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roybrown/

This is a very serious incident.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

PPVO89.png

Just when we thought quieter weather with high pressure was going to come in...drinks.gif

Love that - yes please!

Posted

This 120 hr FAX chart actually looks quite good for much of Scotland.

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax120s.gif

It brings the easterly feed further North than what the ECM 12z Op was showing and the 12Z UKMO

ECM 120 hrs http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1201.gif

UKMO 120 hrs http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm1201.gif

Maybe the METO used the ECM ensemble mean.

All in all, a slight tweak here and there with either bring us in on the fun or have us miss altogether.

EDIT: Great minds think alike LS :cold:

Edited by Sawel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Pics here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roybrown/

This is a very serious incident.

Yes, the guy that took the flickr photos is my parent's next door neighbour. Seems it was quite a crash after all; which explains the house shaking. The line will be shut for quite a while; tracks torn up, platform damaged and a lot of the train off the track.

thankfully, no houses hit and the drivers are ok.

From what I hear, the train lost brakes (maybe ice/snow) coming down the steep from slochd and I guess ploughed into the points/station too fast. Whether that is true remains to be seen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

This 120 hr FAX chart actually looks quite good for much of Scotland.

http://www.meteociel...fax/fax120s.gif

It brings the easterly feed further North than what the ECM 12z Op was showing and the 12Z UKMO

ECM 120 hrs http://www.wetterzen...cs/Recm1201.gif

UKMO 120 hrs http://www.wetterzen...cs/Rukm1201.gif

Maybe the METO used the ECM ensemble mean.

All in all, a slight tweak here and there with either bring us in on the fun or have us miss altogether.

EDIT: Great minds think alike LS smile.gif

Indeed they do Sawel. Snow must be heavier here, as I can see it out of the window without any lights on outside! Back to the Fax chart, what I like about it is that the block being further north is not only good at bringing snow to most of eastern Scotland, it's also good for those further south as it gives them a stronger flow and also good for the long term evolution as it avoids any breakdown! This appears to be supported by teleconnections/long range expert GlacierPoint, who doesn't see a breakdown till at least late January. All very problematic for Fife Council and motorists, as the lack of road gritting materials becomes evident:

salt-shaker.jpg

yahoo.gif

Posted

Yes, the guy that took the flickr photos is my parent's next door neighbour. Seems it was quite a crash after all; which explains the house shaking. The line will be shut for quite a while; tracks torn up, platform damaged and a lot of the train off the track.

thankfully, no houses hit and the drivers are ok.

From what I hear, the train lost brakes (maybe ice/snow) coming down the steep from slochd and I guess ploughed into the points/station too fast. Whether that is true remains to be seen.

Aye thankfully everyone's ok. But as you say that's the Highland mainline shut for a few days just as the weather affects the A9.

Posted

anyone know what that blob of cloud is to the ne of scotland and where is it going as ii am on lewis and only have dial up its kind of hard to figure it out cheers

Was wondering about that blob too. :oops:

We have had an evening of showers. First it looked fantastic as it was big flakes and lying but it only lasted ten nimutes. Since then it has been shower after shower of hail and very fine stuff.

Still it is snow. Just not nearly enough for a day off.

I hope everyone gets lucky.

Edited by waxwing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Was wondering about that blob too. :good:

We have had an evening of showers. First it looked fantastic as it was big flakes and lying but it only lasted ten nimutes. Since then it has been shower after shower of hail and very fine stuff.

Still it is snow. Just not nearly enough for a day off.

I hope everyone gets lucky.

Had an hour or so of sleet round about teatime then the ppn just fizzled out totally and we've been missed by all showers, which have been dying out as they come south. All a bit of a let down really because northerlies give us proper snow usually. By the time ppn builds again tomorrow it'll be back to warm soggy north-easterly which never settles properly.

Driving around today within a 10 mile radius of Muir of Ord showed spectacular accumulations in some places though. I don't think I've seen anything like this since Carlisle 81/82 for prolonged cold and snow; this includes 2 mega-blizzards in Warwickshire (possibly 86 and 91) and the intense but shorter Xmas 95 to New Year 96.

Posted

Heavy snow settling here looking at the radar can see why big yellow patch right on top of us this cold spell has been immense.Cheers

Scott

Jst an update what I thought was going to be 30 mins of snow has turned out to be 2 hours and its still chucking it down infact heaviest snow I have seen for a week looking at the radar the precipitation seems to have intensified just in time for my area way its going could end up with another 3inches on top of god only knows will need to get an accurate measurement of snow depth tomorrow :cold: Cheers

Also heading up aviemore tomorrow should be fun :cold:

Scott

Edited by scott_anthony_glasgow

Posted

Came up to stay in Glasgow with a friend and have ended up stuck here, started snowing again, ugh its redic now I couldn't get home today because the trains along the line up here were suspended whats the chance they will be tomorrow as well. Oh well lol!

Posted

came out of no where this snow getting a pasting at the momment I was expecting a dusting ha. heres the kingston bridge you wont see it like this very often!post-704-12626583092425_thumb.jpg

Im sure Ross will appreciate this picture when he sees it.

Scott

Edited by scott_anthony_glasgow

Posted

Hi Scott!

It has been snowing here aswell for about 2 hours now, mostly light but in the last 30 mins it has turned heavy. Another top up once again :D

All the roads and cars are all white again, I don't know how many inches of snow is lying out there now, this is the best ever winter so far for me :lol::D

Posted

came out of no where this snow getting a pasting at the momment I was expecting a dusting ha. heres the kingston bridge you wont see it like this very often!post-704-12626583092425_thumb.jpg

Im sure Ross will appreciate this picture when he sees it.

Scott

Like that up here again! (Staying around Alexandria Parade) the mainroads white! My lord! I can't remember a winter like this, best one of my lifetime so far! I just wish they would give us salt or smething for the pavements up here its like a deathtrap!

Posted

Hi Scott!

It has been snowing here aswell for about 2 hours now, mostly light but in the last 30 mins it has turned heavy. Another top up once again :lol:

All the roads and cars are all white again, I don't know how many inches of snow is lying out there now, this is the best ever winter so far for me :D:D

hi Cookie :D yeah very pleasent suprise I thought we were in for a dusting and we got this excellent. off to bed now the front seems to be clearing now so should be off soon the morning will be interesting for people going to work!Cheers

Scott

Posted

Nice! Just woke up and its snowing :lol: Already got a decent covering (on top of the ice!) with a good bit more to come :D

Posted

Like that up here again! (Staying around Alexandria Parade) the mainroads white! My lord! I can't remember a winter like this, best one of my lifetime so far! I just wish they would give us salt or smething for the pavements up here its like a deathtrap!

yeah I was in Inverary today absolutely no snow there at all even in arrochar nothing at sea level! I am 700 feet above sea level which help with accumulations:) Cheers

Scott

Nice! Just woke up and its snowing :D Already got a decent covering (on top of the ice!) with a good bit more to come :D

Hello Ross :lol: hows this spell been for you? One thing I will say even if snow isnt forecast it always seems to pop up so I dont really pay attention to forecasts ( Especially bbc) this forum is the best for seeing if snow is going to fall

Posted

yeah I was in Inverary today absolutely no snow there at all even in arrochar nothing at sea level! I am 700 feet above sea level which help with accumulations:) Cheers

Damn you!! I couldn't get back to helensburgh most of the trains via Alexandria Parade and Partick were off due to poor rail conditions. Bloody weather needs to stop! Chances of me getting back tomorrow are not high, at least my friends done mind me staying longer.

Posted

Scott

Hello Ross :D hows this spell been for you? One thing I will say even if snow isnt forecast it always seems to pop up so I dont really pay attention to forecasts ( Especially bbc) this forum is the best for seeing if snow is going to fall

Hi Scott. It's been amazing, not had huge totals of snow or anything but it always seems to be getting topped up. Snow now lieing for longer than 14 days (nearly 3 weeks now?!) at 33m asl on the west coast, unbelievable! I've seen snow falling nearly every day of the cold spell as well :lol:

Off back to bed, gotta be up for work in 2hours!

Posted

Total whiteout here and it's still snowing really heavy with big fat flakes, but looking at the radar it won't last much longer but hey this was totally unexpected and it has made everything look nice and fresh once again. Amazing stuff!

Enjoy it Ross, looks like you will get lots from this aswell:drinks:

Posted

Hi Scott. It's been amazing, not had huge totals of snow or anything but it always seems to be getting topped up. Snow now lieing for longer than 14 days (nearly 3 weeks now?!) at 33m asl on the west coast, unbelievable! I've seen snow falling nearly every day of the cold spell as well :D

Off back to bed, gotta be up for work in 2hours!

yeah thats amazing statistics giving your location, will be an interesting drive for you tomorrow. Also I think catchmydrift looks as if he has had a good top up judging by the radar will see when he comes on :) Cheers

Scott

Posted

yeah thats amazing statistics giving your location, will be an interesting drive for you tomorrow. Also I think catchmydrift looks as if he has had a good top up judging by the radar will see when he comes on :) Cheers

Scott

He only saw snow because he was driving to Edinburgh everyday :D

Any way I'm off out for a walk. It's not often I get this :)

Posted

He only saw snow because he was driving to Edinburgh everyday :)

Any way I'm off out for a walk. It's not often I get this :)

Yep, can't get away from it! Probably about an inch of fresh snow has fallen overnight although i can't tell easily from my bedroom window.