Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Ross B

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Was snow until about ten minutes ago, but as I expected, the wind has picked up off the North Sea and precipitation has immediately turned sleety- temperature responded, shooting up to 1.7C. For areas near the east coast it would be nice if this main band could shove off southwards as I think it will mainly be sleet here which will seriously damage the snow cover- whereas the showers to the north of it will be of snow as they are associated with much colder upper air.

The cold uppers must be very close as temps appear to be falling here as winds (strong 20mph gusting to 40+) are now coming from a Nor'easterly direction, as you said earlier moderate snow then rain/sleet, now the ppn is mostly of snow although very light at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

It will probably turn the snow to wet stuff, but not necessarily sleety like the stuff currently affecting Cleadon- every mile inland helps! It will only be temporary anyway as colder air is set to dig in this afternoon.

So i should get snow anyways im off now ill be back at 2 to report what i have smile.gif

Posted

Currently turning slushy out there.

Hi TWS, we do keep seeing bursts of snow though in amoungst this sleet, as heavyer stuff moves in surely it will fall as wet snow or snow rather than just sleet?

I can still quite clearly see snow flakes flyinf past my window in whitubrn.... big ones too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Well I hope all this cold air is lowering SSTs so later in the winter there will be less of a cooling effect. Its a catch 22 situation at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Hi TWS, we do keep seeing bursts of snow though in amoungst this sleet, as heavyer stuff moves in surely it will fall as wet snow or snow rather than just sleet?

I can still quite clearly see snow flakes flyinf past my window in whitubrn.... big ones too

Yes, the temperature is dropping slowly- the rise stopped abruptly at 1.7C, and then fell to 1.6C. It reminds me of the sleet/snow events of 4 February 2001 and overnight 27/28 February 2001 (don't know if you remember them) when we had prolonged sleet and snow throughout, sleet and 1.5C during the lighter phases and then snow and 1C in heavier bursts. I recall that on both occasions, nothing settled at Cleadon but there were significant accumulations further inland. However, on neither of those occasions did we have sub -10C 850hPa air knocking on our door, which gives some cause to be hopeful here.

It does seem to be turning more to proper snow again for now, with larger, slower-moving flakes visible.

I'm sure it will be a case of falling and lying snow by late afternoon- it's just a question of how much slushy sleety stuff we have to go through before that happens.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Light wet snow here, its been a snow to rain and back to snow event :) I would really like an inch of snow to fall today to cover up where the snow has thawed :cc_confused:

Posted

Light wet snow here, its been a snow to rain and back to snow event :) I would really like an inch of snow to fall today to cover up where the snow has thawed :D

ppn is too light and to slushy for any accumlations i think. hope the showers behind this are better.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Getting a bit wild up here now. Strong and gusty winds and heavy snow.

Gaps are covering and even the east facing windows are getting covered by snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

ppn is too light and to slushy for any accumlations i think. hope the showers behind this are better.

I've got my eye on those showers, if they hit us hey will settle. Radar watching is needed.

Posted

Its all weakening as it slowly arrives towards teesside, yet again the north seeing more. Be surprised if I don't get rain!!!

Posted

Getting a bit wild up here now. Strong and gusty winds and heavy snow.

Gaps are covering and even the east facing windows are getting covered by snow.

Wouldn't like to be driving out there at the moment,the roads around here will be very poor now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The period of slush may be nearing its end in Cleadon- turning more to proper snow now and although temps are only falling slowly, at 1.5C, the rate of thaw is now very slow, compared with the fairly rapid thaw I was seeing half an hour ago.

Posted

Its all weakening as it slowly arrives towards teesside, yet again the north seeing more. Be surprised if I don't get rain!!!

dont worry you havnt missed much!

having said that sleet has turned a bit heavier here now.

Posted

Raining in Middlesbrough, very lightly, see the slashes in a puddle over the road!!

Very disapointed again, the pile of crap is weakening and holes appear as it reaches teesside,

SO ANNOYED!!!

Posted

Anyone notice those pretty potent snow showers heading south and west towards us behind this band of sleet and snow? Could be some pretty significant accumulations, maybe even isolated occurrences of thundersnow, during late evening and overnight.

Posted

dont worry you havnt missed much!

having said that sleet has turned a bit heavier here now.

Actually was hoping it would snow hard and get the boro match called off, can't cope with getting battered from city this afternoon!!

Posted

Anyone notice those pretty potent snow showers heading south and west towards us behind this band of sleet and snow? Could be some pretty significant accumulations, maybe even isolated occurrences of thundersnow, during late evening and overnight.

Already ha thundersnow TWS, on New Years Eve there was a huge flash of lightening during the late evening period towards our SW, then again last night to our south! Quite spectacular really :D

Posted

Already ha thundersnow TWS, on New Years Eve there was a huge flash of lightening during the late evening period towards our SW, then again last night to our south! Quite spectacular really :D

I must have missed last evening's lightning (or maybe it was just a lot more visible from Whitburn than Cleadon as it is further south & closer to where the lightning was) but I certainly saw lightning on New Year's Eve- from Cleadon I saw sheet lightning to the NW at around 9:30pm, and then the sky lit up again a couple of minutes later (this may have been the lightning to the SW you saw).

But this evening's setup is also a pretty good thundersnow setup- as is the setup projected for the 5th-7th January for that matter.

I won't be surprised to see a few snow flurries hanging around the east coast tomorrow, even though the GFS shows no precipitation- and then there's the showers heading down the North Sea on the 4th to watch for as well, which I think a few others have commented on.