Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

we are having a heatwave here today, outside temp 3.1c with a keen breeze. all frost has melted.

Posted

getting heavy hail here. getting completely white

Edited by jello

Posted

Received a good covering this morning, unfortunately showers this afternoon have been sleety. Expecting very icy conditions tonight.

Monday night into Tuesday still looking very good. If this is still showing tomorrow morning, I would expect METO warnings.

Currently dew point 0.5oC, temp 2oC

Posted

Severe Weather Warning

Valid From 17:00 02/01/2010

Until 12:00 03/01/2010

Ice and frost will become a problem to travel networks this evening, overnight and tomorrow with black ice likely from showers of sleet and snow

You are advised to take care on untreated roads and to allow extra time for your journey.

Weather Advisory

06/01/2010

There is an increasing risk of severe weather on Wednesday. Heavy snow and freezing temperatures are likely to affect all areas. At this stage we are unable to forecast how much snow is likely to fall but some areas may receive in excess of 10 cm with more over high ground. We will be keeping a close eye on this event and will update warnings accordingly. If you are planning to travel on Wednesday please stay tuned to weather forecasts as travel disruption will be highly likely.

This warning will be updated throughout the week

The next update will be 12:00 03/10/2010

Posted

Still cloudy here in Dublin cc.very icey slightly over freezing +1 degree.not sure what the next few hours will bring to be honest.with the slightly milder temps things can go either way.

Would like to see some more Snow before i go back to work on Monday

Edited by cold snap

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

1.5C here, still just a light breeze and clear skies. Expecting the temperature to plummet soon as the sun starts setting.

Posted
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland
  • Weather Preferences: Storm-force northeasterly(with a high tide!).Blizzards.Sunny summer
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland

Very dark here now ,not sure if its false alarm.rain or snow shortly possible.

Am in Fairview, North City today, no sign of anything like that here - just patchy "dead" cloud, remnants of whatever came across the north and north west earlier today. Still bright with a little sun. Radar shows shower activity dying out over the north/northeast, but pepping up over the north/northwest and streaming down into Leitrim/Roscommon region or thereabouts.

Charts show all the signs of pressure rising and killing off most instability, whilst the airflow is now very slack. Have to hope the next system coming from the north has more penetration but as it already appears to be approaching very slowly I doubt that it will. I don't believe those predictions of more severe cold, I think this is about as cold as it's going to get

Posted

For most of Ireland, with the slight exception of the northwest, this cold spell has been fairly dry and quite tame as far as snow is concerned.

There seems to be very little snow associated with it. It seems like Tues/Wed will be are only real hope of any proper snow. Thereafter, it seems high pressure will be in charge, keeping things cold but as dry as a bone.

I feel this 'cold snap' is a damp squib in terms of snow. Loads of ice, yeah, but not much snow!

Edited by fear sneachta

Posted

I had about 3cm on New Years eve.

Does anybody think I could get more tonight , I'm 265 feet asl and 10 miles from the east coast and about 15 from the south coast.

Is it just me , or is the GFS really underestimating Irish sea covection? , it certainly did for Thursday night

Posted

The temperature drop has begun, now 1.1C.

Monday night looking quite good for snow across most of the country now.

Posted

Just had a very light sleety rain shower in Dublin. So much for it being 'bitterly cold'!

The temperature drop has begun, now 1.1C.

Monday night looking quite good for snow across most of the country now.

Met Eireann is saying Monday will be dry for most.

Apart from isolated snow showers near north and west coasts, Sunday night will be dry but very cold with very severe frost and the risk of freezing fog patches inland. Air temperatures may drop as low as minus 10 degrees in places. Monday will be mainly dry also with some pale winter sunshine, but very cold with frost persisting for most of the day and roads and pavements staying icy. Tuesday will be dry in most places, but it'll be very cold and snow showers will affect coastal areas with fresh accumulations in these areas. During Wednesday there will be an increasing risk of longer spells of sleet and snow.

Posted

was up for a walk in the sliabh beagh hills now. loaded with snow. above 300mts there is 7 or 8 inches with 2 foot drifts. zero thaw of wednesdays new snow. wind has scoured higher exposed areas but left some deep drifts and sastrugi. alpine conditions, best ive seen i think and that is day 17 of complete cover up there. a fantastic winter scene.

Posted

Just had a very light sleety rain shower in Dublin. So much for it being 'bitterly cold'!

Met Eireann is saying Monday will be dry for most.

The GFS 12Z seems to say differently.

post-6901-12624493797713_thumb.png

post-6901-12624493969713_thumb.png

post-6901-12624494099813_thumb.png

post-6901-12624494200913_thumb.png

Thats not to say it will definitely happen though!

Met Eireann often don't mention snow until the last second when they're 100% certain.

Posted

Temperature dropping fast now, down to 0.1C.

Nice pics BIG LAD, where did you take them?

Posted

Temperature dropping fast now, down to 0.1C.

Nice pics BIG LAD, where did you take them?

thanks. sliabh beagh hills which border Monaghan, Tyrone and Fermanagh. these were taken on the monaghan part at about 350mts.

Posted

Light Rain here now in Dublin cc.doing more damage to the icey snow cover.the snow cover is holding well in some areas,but not so well in others.

Black ice could be a big problem now i think.

Still only +1 degree.not sure on the weathers next move should be intresting.

Edited by cold snap

Posted

alot of excitement in the model thread now. models in agreement of up to 2 weeks more very cold weather!

Posted

alot of excitement in the model thread now. models in agreement of up to 2 weeks more very cold weather!

But how much snow will there be? That's the question. Been pretty much starved here in Belfast :wallbash: .

Posted

But how much snow will there be? That's the question. Been pretty much starved here in Belfast :rolleyes: .

Maybe you'll just have to walk in a Windsor Wonderland instead.