Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion.

Methuselah

Posted

5 minutes of heavy dandruff in Newport, which has just turned back into full on rain. Fantastic. This 'snow event' has been more dissapointing than last week. At least then it was either cold and sunny or snowy. I hate in bewtweens! cc_confused.gif

In many ways I am not surprised that we have got a wintry mix here, we don't tend to do well out of this set-up. But I am surprised that other areas further inland are not doing that well.

If this event has happened into the embedded really cold air before Christmas, there would have been a different result.

Posted

Frurstrating isn't it... most overhyped winter ever so far (for this area at least). I actually did get a decent covering last week but most other areas of Wales haven't even had that so far.

I'd take this everytime over watching cold air never reach our shores. At least we have potential.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Heavy rain at times, turning to sleet and hail occasionally

Posted

What's potential if nothing materialises ok its turned back to sleet here now but nothing will acummilate not even the higher hills i can see wich are 400m ones 450m abs have a covering of snow, not looking good I'm sorry. We had a covering last week too but i wouldnt rate it one bit compared to previous snowfalls.

Edited by adamjones416

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Its been snowing most of the morning here in Blaenavon in the north of the eastern valley around 1250 ft above sea level.

See attached pic!

How much can we expect to have today and tomorrow?

For your area maybe 10-15cm, possibly 20cm before the day is out.

Posted

Yup, snowing nicely here too.

The ground is very wet. It's trying to settle though.

Posted

What's potential if nothing materialises ok its turned back to sleet here now but nothing will acummilate not even the higher hills i can see wich are 400m ones 450m abs have a covering of snow, not looking good I'm sorry. We had a covering last week too but i wouldnt rate it one bit compared to previous snowfalls.

Potential gives you another 2 months during which snow can fall, ice can form and frosts can be amazing. If you want no potential, 12 degrees and persistent rain then good luck to you. This is a marginal event. It's DECEMBER and we've already had snow. To often we've been pinning our hopes on that easterly in March. This is shaping up to be a good winter. Enjoy it.

Posted
Notably, the NAE and high-res models remain keen - even after the earlier more widespread rain - to call for around 10-15cm snow potential in lowland Wales, West Midlands, Forest of Dean, Cotswolds and some other areas north of the M4.

This is from Ian Fergusson, the BBC weather presenter in the SW thread. Sadly I just can't see how lowland areas of Wales could get 10-15cm out of this when I'm in a relatively high area near the Brecon Beacons and have got a 3mm layer of wet slush from over 1 hr 30mins of snow.

Posted

Its been snowing most of the morning here in Blaenavon in the north of the eastern valley around 1250 ft above sea level.

See attached pic!

Nice pic! Wish it was like that here :lol:.

You can expect to see quite alot of snow in the near future :).

Posted

See attached pic!

snowing bad in pontypool aswell [waunddu] me mammy phoned me and sais so

but here in port talbot yes you guessed it it's rain and more rain odd sleet shower now and again

Posted

horrible wet sleet here,had a drive up over gilfach goch this morn and back past the windmills,it was white over up there but slushy on the roads..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Just coming back from cardiff and it was snowing, big proper flakes and everything, got back to bridgend and rain! hope we get some of that snow!!

Posted
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL

heavy snow now in cwmbran

woohoo