• Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

you lucky so snd so's - enjoy!!

Hasn't happened yet :):)

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

While many wait for what might be, I've just calculated my mean temperature since the snow first fell on December 17th, and it's a bone-chilling -1.6C.

Yeh impressive isn't it. Only thing that is missing is a foot of snow. If this was late seventies or early eighties I would have a six foot pile of snow on the grass verge while people further up the road would have had 15ft to 20ft piles.

Amazing thing about the present cold. The longevity and yet again when a front shows up how quickly it still goes to a marginal setup.

Posted

I've never gone below several inches over the past fortnight myself, but I know I'm in an unusually good location for snow. Even having said that though, this is the longest I've ever had snow lying in my lifetime, and be it a foot or 4 inches, the landscape looks pretty much the same.

Today's probably going to end-up the coldest day for just over a year, with the maximum temperature earlier on reaching -1.6C (now down to -2.6C); on New Year's Eve 2008 it didn't rise above -3.6C and Nov 30th that year reached just -1.6C.

My coldest ever day was New Year's Eve, 2001, when the maximum was just -4.3C. There's something about New Year in Cumbria which makes it frigid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Very similar to John Ketleys Farmers forecast in Jan 1987 where he started the forecast by saying "The brightest part of this forecast is my tie!" "It's going to be a bitterly cold week across the whole of the country, most area's will see some snow and some area's will see a lot of snow!"

Excellent, we got lots of snow here then I believe, only moved to the IOW in 1990.

Regards,

Russ

Posted

Just go to the bbc iplayer website, you will need the latest flash player. Here's a link to iplayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk.../2010-01-03/day

If you want to go to the forecast direct, it starts at 46:15

Posted

You can get it on Iplayer....

Friday's forecast is a tease, wish that was 24 hours out and not 5 days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Yikes, supposed to be going to London next weekend for my misses 30th Birthday, might not be able to make it.

Good to see the south west seeing some snow this week.

Posted

A goold olde' style forecast. Of course one of the most influential forecasters made it even better.

0c or London...haven't seen that for a while.

As for the youtube video...fast forecast a minute or so and it comes up.

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted

Captain Sensible, wasn't meant to be rude. It was just perhaps a slight tongue in cheek. Next time I'll ensure I add a :lol: smiley to keep you happy. Cheers

Anyway, great forecast. Those maximas look bine chilling.

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

It's ridiculous how SE-orientated the media is, Scotland has widely got 4-12 inches (obviously the most in the Highlands), and is barely getting a mention by the media! Even down here there is 4-6 inches of snow on the ground with the potential for the same again but the media is ignoring that :lol: I bet by the end of the week when London gets 4 inches the media will go crazy. :lol:

Still, it has been a brilliant cold spell so far, the 30th Dec didn't have <50% snow cover, but every other day since the 17th Dec has at some stage during the day. This will, imo, go down as NE England's snowiest week since the 80's.

Edited by alza

Posted

It's ridiculous how SE-orientated the media is, Scotland has widely got 4-12 inches (obviously the most in the Highlands), and is barely getting a mention by the media! Even down here there is 4-6 inches of snow on the ground with the potential for the same again but the media is ignoring that :( I bet by the end of the week when London gets 4 inches the media will go crazy. :drinks:

Still, it has been a brilliant cold spell so far, the 30th Dec didn't have <50% snow cover, but every other day since the 17th Dec has at some stage during the day. This will, imo, go down as NE England's snowiest week since the 80's.

I take your meaning the coming week.

Excellent duration of cold but deep snow here is the missing element. Had deeper snow last Feb which wasn't as deep as feb 2005 never mind some snow events in the winter of 95/96.

Mark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I take your meaning the coming week.

Excellent duration of cold but deep snow here is the missing element. Had deeper snow last Feb which wasn't as deep as feb 2005 never mind some snow events in the winter of 95/96.

Mark

Yes I mean the coming week, but there is 5-6 inches of snow already on the grass, the deepest it has been here since Dec 2005. However, that was a very local fall, and most parts of Newcastle have got their deepest snow since Feb 2005.

The cold spell is still here, i've only managed one average max day since around Dec 11th, pretty amazing really, pretty funny to see people on the forums mention the breakdown all the time everyday making it like the movie groundhog day and it doesnt arrive, they were mentioning it a few weeks back for now but its still cold, so any breakdown shown over a week away should be taken with A HUGE PINCH OF SALT.

Edited by Eugene

Posted

Nice images OON. Hopefully have a top up in the next few days.

Mark

Posted

Dan Corbett bbc - The cold air is just sitting there doesn't want to move even if you ask it nicely, + Its like lumps of cement won't budge,

Ahh he's geat hehe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Day eighteen...

Great pix , can i ask how do you upload them? , i presume you upload them somewhere else first then post the link , can you recommend a good site?

Thanks

Ian

I must be looking in the wrong place; I can't remember seeing anyone talk of a breakdown.

I think i might have one if Wigan misses out again this week :)