Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell 9

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

wow my snow cover is taking a serious ponding tonight!!! :D

Moderate rain since about 6pm,could be all gone by sunday at this rate!

Dont worry mate, weve plenty of supplies just up the road if ya need any and theres enough to go around :lol:

Posted

The snow was nice a few days ago when it fell, but now it's all turning very slushy on the paths and roads. Still lots of snow on the fields, and my mother's two dogs (bordie collie, and german shepherd cross) took great delight in running through it earlier today. Sadly no falling snow today, so my avatar stays in situ, with no further update.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas :(

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!!!

hello all, hope you all had a lovely day and the brussels sprout fallout doesnt cause any trouble - well with it being a little warmer perhaps it'd be a good idea to open the windows til it passes...? :)

pets are always handy after the festive excesses eh?

We had heavy rain during the night, but still have a load of the cold stuff left, but it's beautiful sunshine and a lovely wintry scene down on the water park. Hoping that the snow makes its way back over here for next week but since we've had such a lovely one perhaps that would be too much to ask? here's hoping though... :)

Posted

Weve recently had a fresh 1cm layer of wet snow here !! but it had recently turned to moderate rain, still virtually no thaw and roads are covered :smiliz19: ! I reakon the magoirty of our snow cover will remaing until the cold bites in again on sunday.

Yep same here.....turned out to be a white Xmas after all! Was really pleased ;o)

Posted

After a wonderful day yesterday, a very cold icy start at -6 degrees with blue sky and sunshine and temps remaining below freezing, deep snow cover and icicles everywhere, we then saw an official white christmas with a cm or two of wet snow yesterday evening accompanied by rapid rise in temp.

Overnight was mainly cloudy allowing the thaw to set in in earnest. This morning has been cold but wet and it is exceptionally icy, really difficult walking conditions.

Signs of brightness now, tonight is looking quite chilly with temps possibly going below freezing and tomorrow.

I imagine that the fells have taken some hefty snow this morning, can't begin to imagine what depths are like up there.

Still the run up to this christmas and christmas day itself have been the most snowy and cold since 1981, beating Dec 1995 which saw less snow overall (although the final week was exceptionally cold with snow), beating 1996 which though cold was mainly dry. A very memorable wintry christmas and we still have New Year - potential for a 1979 start!!

Often the final week of Dec has brought significant wintry conditions at some start either lasting the whole week such such as in 1992 (dry and cold) 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2005 and 2008 or a couple of days or so think 1998, 2003, 2004 (christmas day and boxing day snow), but rarely in recent times has it extended into Jan (last year the exception and to a lesser extent 2001/2002).

Posted

After a wonderful day yesterday, a very cold icy start at -6 degrees with blue sky and sunshine and temps remaining below freezing, deep snow cover and icicles everywhere, we then saw an official white christmas with a cm or two of wet snow yesterday evening accompanied by rapid rise in temp.

Overnight was mainly cloudy allowing the thaw to set in in earnest. This morning has been cold but wet and it is exceptionally icy, really difficult walking conditions.

Signs of brightness now, tonight is looking quite chilly with temps possibly going below freezing and tomorrow.

I imagine that the fells have taken some hefty snow this morning, can't begin to imagine what depths are like up there.

Still the run up to this christmas and christmas day itself have been the most snowy and cold since 1981, beating Dec 1995 which saw less snow overall (although the final week was exceptionally cold with snow), beating 1996 which though cold was mainly dry. A very memorable wintry christmas and we still have New Year - potential for a 1979 start!!

Often the final week of Dec has brought significant wintry conditions at some start either lasting the whole week such such as in 1992 (dry and cold) 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2005 and 2008 or a couple of days or so think 1998, 2003, 2004 (christmas day and boxing day snow), but rarely in recent times has it extended into Jan (last year the exception and to a lesser extent 2001/2002).

Having had a look at the charts the setup looks amzingly good around the 31st. Especially into the 1st with the potential for the whole of the north west to get the biggest dumping we have had for a good few decades, uppers being at -15C 0.o Of course until we get to wednesday it will be pretty much up in the air imo. The setup looks too good to be true because it would give us a good couple of feet of snow not an inch or two..even at the coasts with the amount of precip and temps combined..it would definitely suit the north west (south westerly low p moving across the country dragging down the cold air while depositing a hell of a lot of snow at the same time! I can't remember the last time I saw uppers as cold as it's potentially showing in many years. But as always we'll know more come Tuesday/Wednesday when the low begins to make itself felt more. Still great potential for a big dumping.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Hi,

My name is Luke and I am new to this forum, I live in Garston in South Liverpool but I do have quite an interest in this sort of weather myself and I enjoyed getting the numerous snowfalls we got in the last week but what interests me is how us in the Liverpool/Merseyside area fared in past cold spells I would like to know what was the deepest snow ever recorded in the Liverpool area and when did it occur? Also what is the best sort of synoptical set up to bring significant snowfall to Liverpool/Merseyside - I remember we got quite a significant dumping of snow in February 1996 (I was of school that day because the snow was so thick) does anyone on here remember that and what sort of synoptical situation brought us that snowfall I have read that it was a stalling low pressure system hitting cold air in situ over the British Isles so did it get very frosty in the night before this snow event and how well was it forecast at the time as I remember flash warnings for heavy snow put out at the last minute for NW england. Also I am interested to know did Liverpool/Merseyside (including my area) get any lying snow of measurable depth during the February 1991 event? Considering this was an Easterly I would not think we would have did as well for snowfall as areas in Eastern England but did quite a few snow showers make it across the pennines giving Liverpool a bit of a dumping? Also how well did Liverpool do for snowfall during 1981/82 I have read somewhere that we got a considerable dumping then but exactly how much did we get and from what sort of setup? Also does anyone else have any other examples of lying snow in the Liverpool/Merseyside area in the last 20 years or so

Best regards,

Luke

Posted

Hi,

My name is Luke and I am new to this forum, I live in Garston in South Liverpool but I do have quite an interest in this sort of weather myself and I enjoyed getting the numerous snowfalls we got in the last week but what interests me is how us in the Liverpool/Merseyside area fared in past cold spells I would like to know what was the deepest snow ever recorded in the Liverpool area and when did it occur? Also what is the best sort of synoptical set up to bring significant snowfall to Liverpool/Merseyside - I remember we got quite a significant dumping of snow in February 1996 (I was of school that day because the snow was so thick) does anyone on here remember that and what sort of synoptical situation brought us that snowfall I have read that it was a stalling low pressure system hitting cold air in situ over the British Isles so did it get very frosty in the night before this snow event and how well was it forecast at the time as I remember flash warnings for heavy snow put out at the last minute for NW england. Also I am interested to know did Liverpool/Merseyside (including my area) get any lying snow of measurable depth during the February 1991 event? Considering this was an Easterly I would not think we would have did as well for snowfall as areas in Eastern England but did quite a few snow showers make it across the pennines giving Liverpool a bit of a dumping? Also how well did Liverpool do for snowfall during 1981/82 I have read somewhere that we got a considerable dumping then but exactly how much did we get and from what sort of setup? Also does anyone else have any other examples of lying snow in the Liverpool/Merseyside area in the last 20 years or so

Best regards,

Luke

Having checked the setup today with the charts, it seems as though the low will now track a lot further south than initially thought..seems the gfs are having a difficult time of it at the moment. Yesterday the low was expected to track further northwards and today it looks like it will track through the channel. If this setup would occur, it would give quite a bit of snow to the southeast with bugger all to the northwest. We'll have the cold air over us and it will be bitterely cold, but the precip in the atlantic doesn't see to be over us, and the low in the south is looking far too south to make any difference to use. The limit to the northerly flank of the low looks to be around the south midlands at the moment.

Hi Luke welcome to the forums.

For Garston and surrounding areas (not Liverpool) there are two ideal setups to bring snow to our region. The first is a northerly with a westerly component (note not northwesterly). Essentially precipitation from the Irish Sea with a bitingly cold Northerly wind. The second type of synoptic setup is what we have just had. A southwesterly feeding moisture to us in the north west, while a meeting up with either a very cold northerly or North easterly. North westerlies rarely bring snow or showers due to temperature modification once it hits the irish sea (allowed to warm).

I am sure there must be some sort of almanac for Garston. The last time I remember a good dumping was back in the early 80's where we got several feet. That setting had high blocking in the atlantic with a northerly wind with a low sneaking in through the west (sw?) if I remember correctly. ironically a similar situation that could happen again next weekend.

My guess for 1996 would have been around 3 / 4 inches laying snow maximum. So far in rural Hale we have had 4½ inches of snow which fell over a 2 day period. I honestly dont remember any easterly every giving us a dumping, like i said above my recollections seem to recall it was a southwesterly system with a north, north eastely that gave around 5 inches in 91. The last dumping (more than 1 foot) that Liverpool got as far as I remember was back in 81/82 when upto 2/3 feet fell and upto 6/10 feet in drifts out in the country

-------------------------------------------------

Just checked the charts for the up coming cold spell. It looks like we'll be well within the dam line and the very cold upper air..but there is what looks like being a problem. The low tracking in from the southwest is definitely a lot further south than expected, and looks like it will try to track across the channel, bringing quite a bit of snow to the southeast, with a cold easterly, north easterly winds. In the North west even though we have the ideal setup it looks like being dry (precip northern extent perhaps the south midlands) Precip in Atlantic is a little too far away.

The good thing though we have atlantic high blocking..so i guess anything can happen, though on these charts it looks like the southeast and east coast are once again the best places to be to see any snow, which if it falls as the potential to be a big dumping.

Still as anything the charts to me cant nail this system at all at the moment so we'll have to see what occurs from Tuesday Onwards..on another note sunday night might give us a slight dusting.

Considering the time of year its pretty mild out there. Currently 8.1C with a dewpoint of 3.7C not that far off my prediction of 10/12C that I stated about 2 days ago

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Just been out for the past 21/2 hours with a few of the neighbours, breaking up & shovelling the 11/2" thick ice off the road outside. We live on a cul-de-sac which is on a slight incline with a river at the bottom, and to say it was slippery is a vast understatement!

Absolutely lethal, cars simply couldn't get anywhere. Did about 30 metres of road + driveways (except those who were indoors but couldn't be bothered to help lol). All done now but boy is my back aching!!!!!

Good way to keep warm though, helped out the elderly folk & nice community spirit (and free coffee)

Edited by sconetone

Posted
I remember we got quite a significant dumping of snow in February 1996 (I was of school that day because the snow was so thick) does anyone on here remember that and what sort of synoptical situation brought us that snowfall I have read that it was a stalling low pressure system hitting cold air in situ over the British Isles so did it get very frosty in the night before this snow event and how well was it forecast at the time as I remember flash warnings for heavy snow put out at the last minute for NW england.

Remember it well. This was the only occasion I missed school because of the weather - my mum simply refused to take me because of how deep the snow was. As it turned out the next day, school WAS open and only about half the class turned up. My teacher was pretty annoyed and was talking of making all those who didn't turn up stay in at lunchtime to catch up - I simply told him I was sick the previous day, and he bought it and let me off! You see, I was generally a well-behaved kid at school and so thought myself entitled to a lie quota in case of such an emergency. :yahoo:

Besides, it was definitely harsh to moan about kids not turning up that day. The snow was so deep I could hardly move in it! Plus, my mother was always serious about me being punctual at school - she knew what she was talking about.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

Hi,

Is it possible we could see some more snow next week as some of this evenings chart output places the low pressure further north? And if we do get any will it be convectional showers or frontal and how much could we expect? Would Tuesday into Wednesday be the best bet? Also I an in Garston as I have said just asking will be get an air frost tonight with temps going below freezing? And if not can we expect a few this week?

Luke

Posted

3 Degrees and raining here now, has been for most of the day which has melted a large amount of the snow away now.

The compacted stuff is not moving however and has frozen solid making pavements and side roads slippery as hell, the piles at the side of the roads where they have been ploughed have frozen solid as well, you could probably cut them in to blocks and build igloos out of them as they can easily take my weight of 14 stone walking along them so I doubt they will melt away any time soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Went up Anglezarke moor from Rivington reservoir, still some serious amounts of snow and ice left there, particularly in areas sheltered from the wind and sun with little evidence of much melt but slopes exposed to wind/sun are melting fast. Got to the top as snow was going down behind a cold, just before sunset and it felt pretty nippy to say the least. That's a ready made ice cover for next week.

Some of the country lanes were awful, the ice thickness means it sticks despite the rain and milder winds.

Posted

Hello again,

Did Liverpool get any lying snow during the January 1984 "cold zonal" spell and if yes how much did we get?

Luke

As far as I am aware we got level 2/3 feet snow the further out of the city the deeper it seemed to get of course throught drifting.

As for any snow..the gfs is all all over the place. This morning's run had the low much further south towards the channel (Dec 31), last night it was further north. Id say wait until around 24 hours to see what the event will be tbh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Back after filling my face the past few days! lol hope everyone has had a nice Christmas! Well it turned out to be a white Christmas after all yesterday when snow fell in the evening, it even left a dusting for a little while but eventually turned to rain and a proper thaw set in. Still however quite a bit of snowcover around even today, enough to count as the 10th day of lying snow, it's probably going to take a while to melt it all.

Edited by James M

Posted

Hi,

Best regards,

Luke

Hi-Luke, Im just up the road from you. I remember the 81/82 dumping-that was a maasive dumping all in one day, I can't remember it lasting very long on the ground though.

I also remember the winter of 1963, snowed boxing day here and stayed on the ground right through January/February and it was very cold. There was no horse racing in UK till March that year.

I'm sure we had more snow in the 60's early 70's-I remember sledging a lot down Camp Hill in those days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Morning all,

Seems to be an undercut of colder air moving into the region. Notice snowfall on the Cat & Fiddle web cam. Anyone reporting wet snow in the region. The cold air definately moving SEwards, which is good news. Moderate Frost tonight and yes icy again !!

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Morning all,

Seems to be an undercut of colder air moving into the region. Notice snowfall on the Cat & Fiddle web cam. Anyone reporting wet snow in the region. The cold air definately moving SEwards, which is good news. Moderate Frost tonight and yes icy again !!

C

Hi, Latest shot from Flash web cam shows rain turned to snowfall.Just about in NW England or No Mans land more likely. Good to see anyway!!

C

post-3489-12619092503213_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hi, Latest shot from Flash web cam shows rain turned to snowfall.Just about in NW England or No Mans land more likely. Good to see anyway!!

C

Yep, that's nice to see. Same wind direction as the snow last Sunday and Tuesday, but more "normal" winter temperature of 3c here today. Rapid melting of lying snow.

The track of the low pressure to the SW this week seems to be fluctuating wildly at the moment on the models. Wonder where the battleground will eventually lie?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I'm not in NW England but Flash is only 18 miles north west of me and there's wet snow and sleet falling here.

Just too low/warm for anything to settle here unless the showers become heavy and drag down cooler air.

Temp' is 1.4c which would make it around 0c or just above at Flash.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Yep, that's nice to see. Same wind direction as the snow last Sunday and Tuesday, but more "normal" winter temperature of 3c here today. Rapid melting of lying snow.

The track of the low pressure to the SW this week seems to be fluctuating wildly at the moment on the models. Wonder where the battleground will eventually lie?

Models seem all over the place this morning,however the latest on the BBC at 10am this morning

Had some great snow graphics over parts of NW England for Tues Evening/Night the female forecaster

Stated they are watching closely as there is a risk of severe disruption might all change by the end of

Play today but so far so good

Areas at risk W/midlands Mid to North Wales and as stated most of NW England which would

Co-inside with the early warnings on the METO website

C.S