Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 7

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

we've got 25cm (not exaggerating) of snow here in gifford (4 miles south of haddington) , stayed the night at me dad's and can't beleive the amount of snow that's on the ground. Snowplough/Gritter has still not been round and the B6369 to haddington will be worse than it usually is

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Now throwing them out fast and furious. Looks like ass-covering for tomorrow so they can clock off at mid-day today and head to the pub :)

Met-O playing catch up :)

http://www.metoffice...ings.html?day=2

Although this may now be a curse :)

Edit: very very light snow here, adds to the feel of the day if not the snow cover !

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Met-O playing catch up tongue.gif

http://www.metoffice...ings.html?day=2

Although this may now be a curse whistling.gif

Well still no advisory here so I think we can safely say we're getting another 4 inches or solaugh.gif

It does seem a bit of a curse, as most of the major snow events I can remember only had a warning out when snow was actually falling!!

Wait, no, warning here for widespread ice and heavy snow -covering all bases I guess!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

This is a strange one for the Highlands...warning for just widespread ice on the roads but also: "The snow giving further falls of several centimetres in places."

Is this perhaps the most creative way of warning for heavy snow but trying to save their own skins?

Posted

Yes.

Seriously though, does no-one in that organisation actually read warnings before they go out, to see if it makes logical sense !

This is a strange one for the Highlands...warning for just widespread ice on the roads but also: "The snow giving further falls of several centimetres in places."

Is this perhaps the most creative way of warning for heavy snow but trying to save their own skins?

Met report just in from my in-law (ahem) observers in the higher part of town (Liberton, Gracemeount)

Having cleared the car/driveway by last night, they called to say another inch has fallen on those surfaces. I can confidently translate that to mean in reality another fresh centimetre (they don't do metric) :)

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I'm going to be honest, the lack of forecasts even from the BBC for the Highlands is beginning to slightly get to me. Just watching the most recent BBC forecast and they don't even both mentioning north of Glasgow <_<

Posted

I'm going to be honest, the lack of forecasts even from the BBC for the Highlands is beginning to slightly get to me. Just watching the most recent BBC forecast and they don't even both mentioning north of Glasgow <_<

I agree NR..........it's almost as if we dont exist. :angry:

I should also add the Met O has issued a warning.

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of Eastern and Northern Scotland overnight and during Friday morning.

Outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow are likely to fall onto frozen roads and paths overnight causing widespread ice. The snow giving further falls of several centimetres in places.

Issued at: 1002 Thu 24 Dec

I would have thought there could something a little more certain would have been available at this late date for tonight and tomorrow and as for the rain......well that is unlikely if we still have such low temps.

Edited by Gilly

Posted

If I'm being cynical, it co-relates with the current end of their own cold spell. If its not happening down there, then they don't give a monkeys.

I agree NR..........it's almost as if we dont exist. <_<

Posted

You have to remember that those based in the SE think Scotland is a suburb of London and think it is enough to mention "north" as covering the entire country of Scotland.

As has been suggested before, how on earth can Scotland be lumped together (seemingly as one region) when it is vast in a meteorological sense.

Net Weather should take a lead and actually do something about it. Split us up into various areas.

Anyone for speed skating along the Forth and Clyde canal? :angry:

By the looks of the pics from STV last night it'll be skating on the Clyde itself as they showed what was thin ice floating along the top of the river <_<

The Forth and Clyde canal was frozen last winter in Clydebank, not sure how much weight it could have carried though??

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Give it a week or two mate, give it a week or two !

Nostalgia alert: in the bitter bitter December of 1981 (we're not close to that level of cold yet), my mate and me walked home from the student union along long stretches of the union canal from Tolcross (middle of Edinburgh basically) to Slateford where I lived. I can only guess how thick the ice was ... 6 ...12 ...18 inches ... not a clue. Thick enough to take the weight of 2 drunken students larking about on it for a couple of miles !

Once we get past any weekend (ahem) warm-up then the next phase of the cold-spell could start to see frozen canals/lochs country-wide !

Anyone for speed skating along the Forth and Clyde canal? <_<

Posted

You have to remember that those based in the SE think Scotland is a suburb of London and think it is enough to mention "north" as covering the entire country of Scotland.

As has been suggested before, how on earth can Scotland be lumped together (seemingly as one region) when it is vast in a meteorological sense.

Net Weather should take a lead and actually do something about it. Split us up into various areas.

Spot on Mondy, the weather varies quite dramatically at times over Scotland.

Posted

i just had a walk to down to drumpelier loch near my work in coatbridge and had a cautious stroll onto the frozen surface. It seems brick hard and you could probably walk all the way across but the furthest i went was about 10 metres, what a cracking winter scene .... But still got minus 6 just now

Posted

If I'm being cynical, it co-relates with the current end of their own cold spell. If its not happening down there, then they don't give a monkeys.

Hi by-tor, Are you still getting heavy snow in Edinburgh?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

Good morning everyone, here just 7 miles to the Northeast of Glasgow the temp is at -10, has been many a year since that level of cold has been reached here approaching midday, and the charts are showing a slight warm up followed by another cold spell.

SS2

Highland Region on its own in Scotland is 50% larger than Wales and more than twice the size of Northern Ireland, so you would expect the odd difference in weather across that region, let alone Scotland.

Anyway, if we were split into regions on NW then we'd each only have about 4 people to talk to, so far that reason alone it is perhaps best to lump us and like us :)

Posted

I'm going to be honest, the lack of forecasts even from the BBC for the Highlands is beginning to slightly get to me. Just watching the most recent BBC forecast and they don't even both mentioning north of Glasgow dry.gif

I've noticed that. There seems to be a kind of assumption that "they're used to it so we'll focus elsewhere".

I dont think the Met Office/BBC has done too well with predictions of localised severe weather but the sheer number of different events, especially snowfall, must have made their job difficult.

However, an example of them maybe focusing on what is happening elsewhere was yesterday on radio 5 live when Philip Avery confidently said that "much milder conditions speading in for Christmas with no White Christmas - grey for all". I was thinking "I dont think so".