Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion Part 18

Methuselah

Posted

Woah...... -6.0c being record Luton way/Dunstable way.

-4/-5 towards Wycombe.......... This shows where the thicker fog is combining with snow cover to give very cold temps....... Snow cover here but fog isn't as thick.

Posted

-6.5C here in very snowy north hampshire.

We often get lowish temps here in Bramley being in a slight hollow --- but this has really suprised me!

Worrying now abot my various palms in the garden -- my butia eriospatha won't like it.

Posted

... S-UK ...

An isolated tornado risk could arise over S-UK, as modest onshore flow beneath cold mid-levels causes some weak instability over land. Shear and low LCLs would be adequate for an isolated tornado report. Uncertainties are still too large for any level area.

Just read this at the bottom of the estofex report. Now that really would make this a spell to remember, Tornado snow?? biggrin.gif

Edited by mesocyclone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Minus -4.5° C here. Not a lot of fog as I can still see the stars. I just can't see this depth of cold disappearing overnight without a fight.

Posted

Minus -4.5° C here. Not a lot of fog as I can still see the stars. I just can't see this depth of cold disappearing overnight without a fight.

it went pretty quickly yesterday before being reinforced in the afternoon. south herts started the day at -6c and rose quickly towards lunchtime to be +1c when the rain started. the continent is no longer freezing to our south and immediate southeast. if a less cold flow arrives the weather will respond with rain rather than snow - physics i'm afraid. i agree about the strength of a cold pool. yesterday afternoon illustrated that in parts of the se. however, with each influx of slightly less cold air, the chance of the cold holding out becomes lower.

Posted

it went pretty quickly yesterday before being reinforced in the afternoon. south herts started the day at -6c and rose quickly towards lunchtime to be +1c when the rain started. the continent is no longer freezing to our south and immediate southeast. if a less cold flow arrives the weather will respond with rain rather than snow - physics i'm afraid. i agree about the strength of a cold pool. yesterday afternoon illustrated that in parts of the se. however, with each influx of slightly less cold air, the chance of the cold holding out becomes lower.

Enjoy the snow in St. Albans last night bluearmy? But it did cause pure chaos on the main roads! People say it took 5 hours to drive from St. Albans to Hemel!:cold::lol:

Posted

Hmm...a rather sleepy evening at the mall in NW2.

Fog is super thick here, even with lights, visibility is down to 50 yards, and its icy fog for sure!

--

Still snow lying on the ground, thats 6 days running now. A record for 2 decades in the city? Perhaps.

Posted

temp is all over the place tonight, been down to -4.2 currently -3.6 having been -3.2 45 minutes ago. I assume it's some cloud causing the variations.

I think this is the best snow spell in Coastal North Norfolk for many years, in the car today driving past fields and fields of snow, may not be thick, but the wind over it was cutting,

Posted

-5.3c down the road in Charlwood - dense fog here now as well...

the roads are lethal - perhaps not as bad as last night when the snow and rain combined to make the most slippery surface imaginable - it took my sister in law 4 hours to drive from Epsom to Reigate!

There's still a fair bit of snow around here - looks like we will make 6 days of snowcover!

Posted

Hmm...a rather sleepy evening at the mall in NW2.

Fog is super thick here, even with lights, visibility is down to 50 yards, and its icy fog for sure!

--

Still snow lying on the ground, thats 6 days running now. A record for 2 decades in the city? Perhaps.

still no fog here in SW!A. freezing though

Posted

I don't know where else to put this, but I was sent this link in an email by a friend of the 62/63 winter and shows some footage of the railways and how they coped then...

(just to let you know, it is a bit arty and has an irritiating soundtrack but just look at the drifts and that people are shovelling all the snow with no gloves!)

Posted

I don't know where else to put this, but I was sent this link in an email by a friend of the 62/63 winter and shows some footage of the railways and how they coped then...

(just to let you know, it is a bit arty and has an irritiating soundtrack but just look at the drifts and that people are shovelling all the snow with no gloves!)

Thanks. Love the vid.

Very good piece of music too! (each to their own)hi.gif

Posted

Just posted on the model discussion to see if one of the forecasters could give us an idea as im no expert.

We're forcast the chance of thunder for the south coast upto around the m4 for tomo (estofex)

-6 here now. I cant see it warming up with this snow and frost around. If those showers keep coming and persisting as forcast by bbc what will we get . Freezing rain? snow?

Posted

Very cold night in this region, probably see quite a few places drop down to about -6C. Sadly I don't think this area looks likely to get any snowfall until any possible reload towards the back end of the month but we shall see, if things shifted southwards it wouldn't be quite so simple and clean cut...

Posted

Last report for the night.......

Temp: -4c

DP: -5c

Thick fog has rolled in, getting icy out and frosty......... I fear we may lose contact with the outside world soon, Saint logging out!:D

Snow, Fog and Ice combined....fun!:D

(Temp's taken from local weather station located in St. Albans)

Edited by saint