Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

evening all. very crunchy underfoot on my way into work tonight. southeastern trains are running abot 75% and are on a saturday timetable :drinks: i for one am more than happy with frosty nights and mornings for the rest of the year. am not snowed out, but its not nice to look at anymore, once the slush has defrosted and refrozen a few times. bring on the new year! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

I am a complete novice at the weather but my way of thinking is that we are on the same latitude as canada and the only

thing keeping us warm is the jet stream and the fact we are an island. If the jetstream is not there or goes south ,as it appears

to have done, we are going to get cold. I know its not as simple as this but its the way i am thinking at the moment.

Posted

I am a complete novice at the weather but my way of thinking is that we are on the same latitude as canada and the only

thing keeping us warm is the jet stream and the fact we are an island. If the jetstream is not there or goes south ,as it appears

to have done, we are going to get cold. I know its not as simple as this but its the way i am thinking at the moment.

The jet stream moving south is a big plus for us and helps to allow cold air from the poles to move southwards.

Unfortunately (if you like severe cold) it is also the Gulf stream that keeps us so warm for our northerly latitude. A warm current originating in the Gulf of Mexico and forced our way all across the Atlantic to our shores. That never moves and is our 'warm blanket and always modifies and cold temperatures we do get.

Posted

Wow!!! Crazy weather here in Sussex. Left work at 6.10 pm in -2 DgC, 4 miles South along the A23 it was + 4 Dgc and out in The Channel, somewhere off Worthing LIGHTNING!!!!!!!

6 flashes of what looked like IC out to sea between 6.15 & 6.45 as it rattled along, what a ruddy funny thing The English Channel is and totally unexpected today!!

Haven't a clue what tomorrow and the rest of the week will bring, but you can't say it's predictable in this country!