Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

My temp is 2.0C at the moment. Starry skies though and completely still ?? The ground is most certainly frozen though, just touched the driveway and it's got that frost/icy slippery feel to it. My temperature isn't rising though, if anything, it's fluctuating evenly around 2.0C. Perhaps being a westerly wind SteveB, the temperature is being moderated by the Estuary? Just a guess.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Temp is 1.7C at the moment, not sure about Dew Point - I don't have a sensor, RH is 64% and going by online calculators that gives a dewpoint of -7 which seems a bit OTT. And you?

Mine is -1.0c humidity is 67% and dew point is -6.3c

Posted

cheers Ian thanks for the latest..

Steve you say that and Im confused also as none of my snow as melted even though temp is 1.7

wind picking up here

edit cheers James missed post

Edited by dogs32

Posted

cheers Ian thanks for the latest..

Steve you say that and Im confused also as none of my snow as melted even though temp is 1.7

wind picking up here

edit cheers James missed post

Remember even with a temp of 1.7c that is air temp not ground temp which has been super cooled over last few days so will take longer to warm?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

My temp is 2.0C at the moment. Starry skies though and completely still ?? The ground is most certainly frozen though, just touched the driveway and it's got that frost/icy slippery feel to it. My temperature isn't rising though, if anything, it's fluctuating evenly around 2.0C. Perhaps being a westerly wind SteveB, the temperature is being moderated by the Estuary? Just a guess.

Must be Michael, just crept up to 4.0c

Posted

I use the Filton (north Bristol) weather station here:

http://www.martynhicks.co.uk/weather/data.php?page=live

Currently 3.8C and dew point 1.9

Its gone up a degree in the last couple of hours. Not surprising if there is a warm sector in front. Hoping for a rain to snow event. Temps should drop rapidly as the front passes. Looks like some decent ppn extending behind the front so could get lucky?

Posted

Must be Michael, just crept up to 4.0c

It might drop fast though when the ppn gets to you?

Posted

It might drop fast though when the ppn gets to you?

Just been in the Welsh thread, people reporting rain sleet and snow, but temps falling fast behind the front.

Posted

Just been in the Welsh thread, people reporting rain sleet and snow, but temps falling fast behind the front.

No use having the temperature drop behind the front surely. We need that during the second half of the front for the snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Temp -0.1C, dew point -0.8C humidity 95% and yet no PPN. At least its down below zero, if only marginally.

Pressure is down today, and trending downwards 1005mb at the moment with the wind at 10knots from the WNW.

Shame the Spotlight forecaster isn't signed up on here, would be interested in a pro view of high ground (800feet+) in the extreme SW. (or indeed any NW forecaster)

Posted

this is it! with us shortly...

anyone on the North side of Chelt or Tewks...or Cleave as you should get hit before me

Edited by dogs32

Posted

well ive just braved it and went out, temps are dropping again to 0.. dew point is -1.. what i thought was just a wet ground wasnt as my poor bum can confirm its all turned to ice now, had a few sleet showers which again has frozen. Just awaiting this band thats over the bristol channel at the mo.. Showing as rain on radar but im hoping thats because its over the sea, and will turn more wintery as it comes inland.

kaz x

Posted

No use having the temperature drop behind the front surely. We need that during the second half of the front for the snow.

I have my eye on the showers packing in behind the front, they should all be of snow. It's anyones guess what the front will bring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Temp fell away again (looked outside and I saw stars... literally) so that explains that.

Anyone able to do a radar image for TQ13/EX6? Pretty please? :wallbash: Either of those as I'm pretty much on the boundary

Posted

personally i think this is going to be a very marginal situation for the s.w, the further east you are the better it seems. At the moment cornwall and devon look like rain or abit of sleet, further east though rain mainly sleet and odd snow on the mendips i think.

i'm taking this from the rador from this current moment and picturing it how it would work out 50 South east of what it is now.

p.s freezing rain seems a growing thing in wales by what the rador is giving past 15 mins

Posted

I have my eye on the showers packing in behind the front, they should all be of snow. It's anyones guess what the front will bring.

Yeah I suppose. I'm feeling quite confident actually about the showers tomorrow. We do well with westerly/northwesterly shower directions. Looking at the radar too, the front does seem to be more of snow now than when I've checked over the last hour to half hour or so. Only rain in West Wales.

Posted

Temp fell away again (looked outside and I saw stars... literally) so that explains that.

Anyone able to do a radar image for TQ13/EX6? Pretty please? wink.gif Either of those as I'm pretty much on the boundary

post-8911-12612597260413_thumb.png

Posted

Same here Steve (Winterbourne - NE Bristol). Expecting a rainy start - hopefully turning to snow as front passes. The saving grace for us might be the extent of showers following behind which seems pretty good now.

Posted

Same here Steve (Winterbourne - NE Bristol). Expecting a rainy start - hopefully turning to snow as front passes. The saving grace for us might be the extent of showers following behind which seems pretty good now.

The area of showers looks as large as the front itself behind it... drinks.gif