Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

When The Weather Forecast Goes Horribly Wrong.

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

After the disappointment of the failed snowfall on the 2nd Feb this year we had the opposite on the 12th. Early morning light snowfall was forecast turn to rain and die out by the afternoon. In parts of Eastern Scotland including Dundee, Eastern Fife and Angus the cold air hung on and the precipitation stayed as snow giving us an unexpected 15cms of snow that day. This actually was our deepest single snowfall of the Winter. B)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

After the disappointment of the failed snowfall on the 2nd Feb this year we had the opposite on the 12th. Early morning light snowfall was forecast turn to rain and die out by the afternoon. In parts of Eastern Scotland including Dundee, Eastern Fife and Angus the cold air hung on and the precipitation stayed as snow giving us an unexpected 15cms of snow that day. This actually was our deepest single snowfall of the Winter. B)

Winter 2009. A seasonal disappointment here! B)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

That winter storm that had been forecast for febuary at the end of the cold spell was a total let down and more of an example of the meto covering there ass after we had had over a week of heavy snow falls that they failed to forecast the majority of until it happened. I was enjoying my first day back at work in a week when that arrived and washed the snow away. although at home to my relief it was snow not rain by the afternoon that was falling so it topped up what the morning rain had washed away.

Does anyone remember on first week of febuary on a monday or tuesday i think they were forecasting the track of the ppn to miss the west country although on their own radar which we were all viewing it was obvious that south west was going to be right in the firing line. Even while it was falling the local weather was blah blah its going to be dry night rolleyes.gifrofl.gif

Happy days..

Posted

That winter storm that had been forecast for febuary at the end of the cold spell was a total let down and more of an example of the meto covering there ass after we had had over a week of heavy snow falls that they failed to forecast the majority of until it happened. I was enjoying my first day back at work in a week when that arrived and washed the snow away. although at home to my relief it was snow not rain by the afternoon that was falling so it topped up what the morning rain had washed away.

Does anyone remember on first week of febuary on a monday or tuesday i think they were forecasting the track of the ppn to miss the west country although on their own radar which we were all viewing it was obvious that south west was going to be right in the firing line. Even while it was falling the local weather was blah blah its going to be dry night rolleyes.gifrofl.gif

Happy days..

Ah Yes I remember that! South-west England and the west country did recieve a huge amount of snow. Okehampton eventually recieved 55cm of snow by the 6th. Parts of the south-west recieved the most snow in the entire country. And keeping to this topic, apart from the north-west, Suffolk recieved little or no snow, i remember the radar for the East of England, and it showed barely any preticipation in Suffolk, and if i remember, there was ever so slightly milder air in Suffolk. Later on in the day, a band of Snow from France tracked northwards, and a little milder air followed on, so Suffolk was mostly snow free the next morning, however, in Cambridgeshire, there was a complete covering! :D :D :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

The BBC (9 o'clock news back then?) weather forecast on 17th September 1992 - a humid night with some patchy rain in places was forecast.

Two hours later, the first rumbles of thunder heard to the south, and from midnight till about 2:30 am, spectacular thunderstorms with torrential rain, vivid lightning and cracking loud thunder. A splendid surprise!

Another, from the BBC, was the forecast of rain clearing later tonight to scattered wintry showers for tomorrow - on the evening of 7th December 1990. Thunder woke me up at 2 am, and I looked outside to see that an inch of snow had already settled. By 8 am, heavy snow was still falling in the strong NNE wind as a trough stalled over south-east England, and the blizzard raged all day, so that well over 30 cm of snow had accumulated by late afternoon.

Posted

Ah Yes I remember that! South-west England and the west country did recieve a huge amount of snow. Okehampton eventually recieved 55cm of snow by the 6th. Parts of the south-west recieved the most snow in the entire country. And keeping to this topic, apart from the north-west, Suffolk recieved little or no snow, i remember the radar for the East of England, and it showed barely any preticipation in Suffolk, and if i remember, there was ever so slightly milder air in Suffolk. Later on in the day, a band of Snow from France tracked northwards, and a little milder air followed on, so Suffolk was mostly snow free the next morning, however, in Cambridgeshire, there was a complete covering! :D :D :D

The snow events of the first week or so of last Feb were a major test for the models and forecasters, conditions were very marginal and sudden developments quickly occured which allowed even 12 hour forecasts to go quickly down the pan.

We were spared much of the snow (dissapointingly so).. yet on numerous occasions they predicted moderate snowfall over the lake district, apart from the morning of the 2nd it never materialised.

It was a great time predicting which forecast was going to be right and a time for much scratching of the head when things didn't pan out as expected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

After the disappointment of the failed snowfall on the 2nd Feb this year we had the opposite on the 12th. Early morning light snowfall was forecast turn to rain and die out by the afternoon. In parts of Eastern Scotland including Dundee, Eastern Fife and Angus the cold air hung on and the precipitation stayed as snow giving us an unexpected 15cms of snow that day. This actually was our deepest single snowfall of the Winter. cool.gif

That was a brilliant event! I think everyone in eastern Scotland had just about given up on getting a major snowfall event after about 5 near misses the week before (the low pressure system from the south on the 2nd, the northerly on the 4th, the westerly showers that hit the central belt and ayrshire on the 8th being the main ones!) and then, the one which looked the least promising the night before produced by far the best, albeit fairly shortlived, snowfall of the winter for us.