Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

My First Amateur Attempt At A Winter Forcast

Snowstorm1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

christmas pudding it doesnt matter with the setup ive explained its still possible if everything fell into place smile.gif

Correct. The right synoptic pattern and you can still get the cold / snow

We could easily get a winter of 63,47 etc. Even to suggest its less likely is 'silly'

'christmas pudding' a funny word

Something from my diary on 7 Jan 1979 'old era' . Things havent fundementally changed. Note the word 'rain' in the cold month of Jan 79.

--------------

It is still raining my snowman is still there at 9pm saw the film 'Bullet' .---------

England are losing the 4th Test

--------------

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Winter Forcast 2009/10 Just December for Now...

Now i know some of you get all dead serious about people attempting forcasts and not backing it up with information so you know what if you dont want to read it dont read smile.gif

Im just attempting and these are my thoughts smile.gif

December

The first week of December will be windy and rainy in the first few days with temps ranging from 9C-13C.Then as the week progresses high pressure will take over for the end of the week with sunny and warm days for december 10C-13C but chilly night ranging from -1C - 3C.

The Second Week will continue a similar theme but the temps will drop slightly 8C - 11C.

Then As we enter the run upto christmas Low pressure will take over and at first winds will be veering from the west but by the wednesday they will veer northwesterly.Then during Thursday they will veer northerly and polar air flow will drain through the country brining at first snow showers for northern scotland but by the nighttime a polar low will sweep the country leaving a white christmas instore for most places smile.gif . The only areas that could miss out are Southwest england but dont worry you will get some just later in the day. As i was saying during the day a front from the southwest could move through the southwest and up through the country and if this happens there will be a WHITE WONDERLAND!

And then through the last week the snow will go from western areas for a time because a battleground scenrio develops and as this happens eastern areas will see upto 1ft of snow lying in most places by the end of the week.And at the minuite i believe the cold will win out bringing the snow back to western areas of the uk just in time for the New Year.

At the minuite thats all im predicting but on November 1st i will attempt January

Hope you enjoyed the forcast and hopefully espcially the last 2weeks happen! smile.gif

I remember this matey from 19th 0ct, lets hope its correct, models certainly showing it recently in FI, lets all hope it happens

Edited by mark forster 630

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

This was more accurate than Ian Brown's December forecast by miles!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

This was more accurate than Ian Brown's December forecast by miles!!

Lol thanks very much blush.gif

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

This forcast has been actually pretty accurate ohmy.gif i know its only a little way through winter but just over half way on my forcast so far happy with this whistling.gif

Edited by Snowstorm1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Just thought to give this topic a Bump as the forcast is almost over and i think i have done rather well whistling.gif Comments etc Appreactiated. I did December and January and forgot february woops :)

Posted

Just giving this a bump comments and feedback much appreaciated

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I'd say that this forecast wasn't too far off, though everything was much less severe than you forecast :) Even the battleground scenario after Christmas came off, though most places saw a wintry mix from it as conditions were too marginal. However, if I was to give you some advise it would be that if you do one of these forecasts again make it a bit more general as I don't believe it is yet possible to predict specific events that far in advance, apart from a few coincidences. So you could say 'a mild first half of December with south westerly winds, then the second half could be much colder with northerly or easterly winds' instead of predicting specifics such as '2 or 3 feet of snow'. Other than that though a remarkably accurate forecast!!!

Posted

I would love to see your forecast for February Snowstorm1! Lets hope the possible Beasterly does come!

Edited by Snowman0697