Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heating On Yet?

Bottesford

Posted

Im trying not to put on the heating on at the moment but for a couple of nights it has been quite chilly, so i have had to!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

No heating on yet, but as it's been dropping to 16/15°C indoors recently it's only a matter of time.

Edited by James M

Posted

It's still not cold enough for me to even consider putting the heating on yet.

Im sure i'll put it on at some point next month though.

Posted

We've had the heating on in our house in the mornings now! Seems to be getting really cold lately at night, it was 5c this morning when I got in the car... I was shocked and for the first time ... drove half the way to work with my coat on until the car warmed up!! Not long till the first frosting and de-icing now!

I think it's mainly because our house faces north so there's no sun that shines in the windows so it does get quite nippy. For some reason too, when they built our house the living room had 2 vents put in there because of proximity to the neighbours house and the gas fire etc so it gets really cold over night!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

No matter how cold it may get, please, please don't cover or block those vents, they're absolutely vital if you have a gas fire.

Posted

Heating on, heating off, heating on again, a bit nippy in the eves without it and like greenhouse after half an hour with it running, can't win :drinks:

The problem is that the thermostat is in the hall which is the collest place in the house so by the time its 70oC out there its about 80oC everywhere else?

Posted

Not had the heating on here yet, though my minimum so far is only 9C (but should go lower tonight). I still have the bedroom window open too, but then I leave it open apart from the very coldest nights as I can't sleep in a hot & stuffy room, I need nice cool, fresh air!

Heating hasn't been on since March & I wouldn't normally put it on until end of November/early December unless we get a cold snap.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

14.6°C in my room this morning, sooo tempting to put the heating on :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Havent had to put the heating on yet because any cold is generally shortlived at night.

Spiders are natures best invention.. there'd be lots of complaining about swarms of flies, without them!

Posted

Not needed the heating on here since the beginning of February - normally wouldn't expect to have it on before Christmas though there may be the odd hour here and there is we get a cold spell in later autumn like. Generally needs to drop below -3c at night and not above about 5c or 6c by day for a few days before I think about it though. Once it drops below -10c I start thinking about closing the bedroom window.

Must admit I do have 2 sheets on the bed now though..... :rofl:

Edited by Essan

Posted

Had to give in last night and put that heating on! Woke up to my first ground frost this morning, so don't feel too bad about it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

We had a few blasts of the heating a for a couple of evenings recently but its not the time yet to have it on every day. I'm still using my summer duvet so its still not that cold as we have avoided the slight frosts of late.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

well it is the 1st november and as yet i have only needed to put the heating on a couple of times. the mild october has cost the fuel companies a few bob i reckon.

Posted

I hope not to until maybe when day time temperatures fall into single figures, never have it on at night, there is no point

Posted
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland
  • Weather Preferences: Storm-force northeasterly(with a high tide!).Blizzards.Sunny summer

Heating is, strategically, on since the end of last week. Firstly, I have a student from Venezuela living here, only since september, the poor kid is really going to suffer this week. That said, he's had a very good run of it, a soft landing by anyone's calculation, with 6 weeks of mostly dry, bright, and fairly mild weather. An excellent acclimatisation period really, considering the time of year and the potential for nasty, stormy wet weather from september and cold snaps in October. I think coping with the darkness is going to be his other big challenge.

There are other factors in my heating regime - currently the wind is southwest/west, that blows in on the warmer side of my apartment, which is the sitting room (faces south, and is also warmed by apartments below, above and to one side having their sitting rooms in the same position, and the kitchen on the other side). A few days of cool PM westerlies and it would get quite chilly in here.

The other side of the apartment, already tending to be cool, wont change much, so relatively speaking, it will actually feel warmer, if you get my drift, especially now that I've got the heating on at times.

Of course if the wind goes to anything north or east, then the heating may be needed less, in that the sitting area will be warmer, and heating can just be switched on at bedtime to warm the bedrooms (which will, admittedly, be very cold)

If any cold northerlyish spell lasts, of course I'll have the heating on longer as even the soth side will cool down.

Then also there is the "seasonal acclimatisation factor", ie that after the first significant cooling of the autumn/winter, you get used to it after a few days, and tend to switch the heating on less than at the drop of a thermometer.

I could do a thesis............. :wallbash:

Posted

Still not had it on once yet, it hasn't been that cold here & we are in a terrace & have double glazing, so we wont need it on until the temperature drops to at least 5C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I could do a thesis............. :o

Glad I'm not the only one who spends far too long thinking about these sorts of things! :o

Gas fire on number one or two most evenings (bar the very mild one last week some time) with door to kitchen annex shut most of the time to keep heat in. Not used central heating yet but have used small electric radiator in bedroom to take edge off temp a bit especially whilst ill at the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm-force northeasterly(with a high tide!).Blizzards.Sunny summer

Glad I'm not the only one who spends far too long thinking about these sorts of things! :o

Gas fire on number one or two most evenings (bar the very mild one last week some time) with door to kitchen annex shut most of the time to keep heat in. Not used central heating yet but have used small electric radiator in bedroom to take edge off temp a bit especially whilst ill at the weekend.

I use a small oil dimplex for quick shots of heat in one room. Expensive to keep on though..........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Not yet, Unless the night temperature falls to 0C I won't consider it. Here we have a fair while to go until 0C is achieved I imagine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

erm yes, my heating has been on for a month now, unfortunatley its wasnt meant to be....normally during late summer, I have hot water on timer, heating switched off.....however I've noticed recently that the radiators are warm during the morning and evening yet hot water has been lukewarm...The problem?...Yep, you've guessed it, I got things swapped around, the hot water been turned off, and the heating's been on the timer!..... :rolleyes: