Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Arctic Ice

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Technology/Amazi...7708&page=1

Seems that 'counting polar Bears' is not the best measure of how well they are doing. I noted in a post in 08' that it only takes 1 failed breeding season to seriously impact on remaining bear numbers.

Posted
As for changing the world on a massive scale in a way which is not conducive to life; can't have that and a population explosion surely? One would rule out the other.

I would have said you could but there is a point at which the former would constrain or reverse the latter..

One only rules out the other if you are starting from a point at which the world is already supporting the maximum number of people.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
I would have said you could but there is a point at which the former would constrain or reverse the latter..

One only rules out the other if you are starting from a point at which the world is already supporting the maximum number of people.

Mmmm, you have a point there.

Any idea what the estimated maximum number would be? I expect someone, somewhere has done the maths.

Posted
Mmmm, you have a point there.

Any idea what the estimated maximum number would be? I expect someone, somewhere has done the maths.

I'm afraid I don't.. :o

I came across this after reading your question (http://www.ecofuture.org/pop/rpts/mccluney_maxpop.html)

no idea on the qualifications of the people who wrote this (am just leaving work so can't read in too much detail) - but near the end there is a table relating the max population to living standards and it ranges from 2 billion people living sustainably living like the americans currently do to 40 billion with the standard of living of people currently in northwest africa.. so I guess there are a few more variables to be considered.. In the article they take into account soil erosion etc. from the looks of things, I guess there might be other factors they have not thought of..?