Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

• 2 weeks later...
Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And I would like to know what '188 day cycle' Yamkin is referring to. Asking such a simple question is hardly being 'picky' now, is it? A simple explanation, along with supporting data, will be fine..

Damn, I first read that as Ovaltine and was afraid to go to bed tonight.....

Looks bad in Izmir Tsunami too  

Posted Images

Posted

Quiet of late.

Reference Number: 2996979

NZDT: Sun, Nov 9 2008 4:25 pm

Magnitude: 5.0

Depth: 120 km

Details: 40 km north-west of Te Anau

Reference Number: 2996675

NZDT: Sun, Nov 9 2008 0:57 am

Magnitude: 5.4

Depth: 200 km

Details: 20 km west of Rotorua

Reference Number: 2986122

NZDT: Sun, Oct 19 2008 12:13 pm

Magnitude: 5.6

Depth: 200 km

Details: 20 km north of Rotorua

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted

A powerful earthquake has struck south-western Panama, close to the border with Costa Rica, says the US Geological Survey (USGS).

The quake was reported with a magnitude of 6.2 and happened at a depth of 48.2km (30 miles), monitors said. The epicentre was close to the Pacific coast and 55km (35 miles) west of David, Panama's third-largest city and home to 125,000 people. There have been no reports of any injuries of casualties, says the USGS.

news.bbc.co.uk

• 1 month later...
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Breaking news of a major earthquake in Indonesia...

A major earthquake has stuck south-west of Manokwari, West Papua, at 0443 on Sunday (1943 GMT) according to USGS...A tsunami alert has been issued.....

Link

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

BBC news website now updated...tsunami alert rescinded..

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted

Was awoken by one on 27th December. Turned out to have reasonable magnitude in the end. Since then, not felt anything.

Reference Number: 3021098

NZDT: Sat, Dec 27 2008 8:49 am

Magnitude: 5.1

Depth: 50 km

Details: 60 km north of Porirua

My earthquake preparedness kit (in case of The Big One) is still not very complete :oops:

Have plenty of water, a tramping stove and some gas, but a bit limited in every other department.

Seismic activity been very quiet recently (I hope that doesn't mean something...), only one 5.0 + quake in the last month.... :/

I wondered what it was that woke me at 0530 this morning, I thought it was the wind!

BBC News - Shetland earthquake

Yes, they always seem to feel like that in the morning :D

Posted

Turns out it was a Mag 3.3 quake with its epicentre 17.5km below the village of Aith, in Western Shetland.

Rather weak quake, but I assume the shallowness is what made it noticeable?

Guest Shetland Coastie

Aparrently there are about 3 quakes of this size per year in the UK. Shetland is seismically quiet and this is the first quake on land since a Mag 2 event on Unst in 1886.

Some excellent info from BGS:

BGS seismogrammes etc

Edited by Shetland Coastie
    Posted

Aparrently there are about 3 quakes of this size per year in the UK.

That sounds like the UK as a whole is very seismically quiet?

Guest Shetland Coastie

That sounds like the UK as a whole is very seismically quiet?

Relatively speaking. There are areas which are fairly active but at a low level, like the Great Glen in Scotland and the UK does get the occasional quake of the order of Mag 5.

Posted

It is very unusual to have an earthquake in the UK, let alone the Shetland Isles! Due to the Uk being no where near a plate boundary, its a very rare occasion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

It is very unusual to have an earthquake in the UK, let alone the Shetland Isles! Due to the Uk being no where near a plate boundary, its a very rare occasion.

I think there are a fair few small ones every year though as there are many minor fault lines across the country. There is a table somewhere of how often earthquakes occur in Britain I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthquak.../faqs/faq6.html, there around 200-300 earthquake detected in the UK every year albeit small ones, which is more than you would think.

Edited by James M
    Posted

Sorry! Let me re-phrase it- I have not explained what i meant very well!......

There isnt many earthquakes that are felt and most are of a negligable amount. I think there was one local to me in 2002 in Dudley . It was upgraded to 5.1 i think.

James M-Thats staggering! So theres on average an earthquake in the UK every 2 days!?

Edited by Albion Snowman
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Sorry! Let me re-phrase it- I have not explained what i meant very well!......

There isnt many earthquakes that are felt and most are of a negligable amount. I think there was one local to me in 2002 in Dudley . It was upgraded to 5.1 i think.

James M-Thats staggering! So theres on average an earthquake in the UK every 2 days!?

It is suprising isn't it, obviously most of them won't be felt but that's still a fair few every year that are.

Edited by James M
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Hi there,

I happen to have this in my bookmarks regarding UK Earthquakes. Hope this helps :

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthquak...klet_eqs_uk.htm

Ooops ! Sorry James,seems you have already posted up the same site.Silly me lol

Edited by Jane Louise
    Posted

It is suprising isn't it, obviously most of them won't be felt but that's still a fair few every year that are.

Its hard to grasp. The UK, a quite stable landmass in relation to tectonic activity, has an earthquake roughly every 2 days! Do you know or have you any data as to where the focus/ epicentre is for most of these UK earthquakes please? Im intrigued!

Thanks!

Ah i see you have just answered my question-Thanks Jane-Louise!

Edited by Albion Snowman
    Posted

Its hard to grasp. The UK, a quite stable landmass in relation to tectonic activity, has an earthquake roughly every 2 days! Do you know or have you any data as to where the focus/ epicentre is for most of these UK earthquakes please? Im intrigued!

Thanks!

There's also this interactive map which shows them in more detail, plus lots of other interesting data.

Edited by James M
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Thanks!

your welcome :)

• 1 month later...