Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What kit do you use?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Currently a Canon PowerShot A1100 IS, which is pretty reliable for taking photos of the weather although there can be exposure issues when taking photographs of very bright or contrasting skies. I tried out a Panasonic recently and found that its exposure was slightly better in those situations, but it had other disadvantages- the anti-shake mechanism wasn't as reliable for example.

I had some problems with lens errors in the earlier Canon cameras (known at the time as the infamous "E18" error) but the mechanisms on the newer Canons seem better- of course no camera's lens mechanism is foolproof.

technology is great when it works as designed ,my sony vx-2000 loves chewing tapes even after going to a sony repair centre, its the hallmark of a £2000 camcorder, :wallbash: and earlier on today i was watching a DVD that i recorded lightning on from 26th july 2006, ten minutes from the end it started freezing....:clap: ,all the effort that goes into filming a storm etc, and then having it wrecked, does make me think twice about buying new camera/video gear.

Edited by Sprites

• 8 months later...
Posted

I have some slide film fujichrome 100 and a roll of Velvia 50, these are dated 2003 up to 2008 , they have been upstairs at room temperature which ranges from 19c -29c , is it worth using these films?

Posted

I have some slide film fujichrome 100 and a roll of Velvia 50, these are dated 2003 up to 2008 , they have been upstairs at room temperature which ranges from 19c -29c , is it worth using these films?

Probably not I think at room temps these films are probably past their best

I keep mine in the fridge, and then bring them out and raise the temps slowly to avoid condensation.

Posted

Probably not I think at room temps these films are probably past their best

I keep mine in the fridge, and then bring them out and raise the temps slowly to avoid condensation.

ok thanks for the advice .

Posted

Last summer i purchased a secondhand Pentax K10D ,and a scndhand Tamron 90mm macro, quite pleased with them, was considering buying a slide scanner, as jessops almost destroyed some of my slides ,the service is dangerous and overpriced!.

Any good scanners £200-£300 range ?