Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The 13th of June enigma

Posted
1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

30 deg is a man made number  on a man made scale,had it been in the old days of Farenheit we would probably be talking 90 degF which is 32 deg C.Just how many days of Summer have not made tht temp?

Top Celsius fact.

When Anders Celsius first developed his scale, he had the freezing point of water at -100c and boiling at 0c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
1 hour ago, Downburst said:

Fahrenheit is a man made scale, a German Polish scientist. Hilarious seeing reports of the Daily Mail a few years ago quoting it as a British scale post Brexit and reviving it as they thought Celsius was something to do with the European Union. Oh well.

Tis the Daily Fail  after all. So what other long standing oddities are there without going through the whole thread.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Apart from the 13th of June, I wonder if there's any other dates in the summer which has only recorded 30C once or twice. 🤔

Posted
2 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

Apart from the 13th of June, I wonder if there's any other dates in the summer which has only recorded 30C once or twice. 🤔

The 14th, 15th and 16th of June seem to fit this theme. All the other dates have 2nd and 3rd records so far above 30, that it seems the 13th to 16th of June have some sort of climatological reason why they are often so cool. It could be fluke but we are talking records dating back 140 years or something like that. 

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
28 minutes ago, richie3846 said:

Screenshot_2023-06-13-18-48-44-943.thumb.jpg.48b459c5a0f9176cb53e312452d448bf.jpg

Well Exeter reached 30c today and according to some it reached 31C so really confused by the above table and the met office is based in Exeter?!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm glad I won't be around when we will all be looking for the only date when 40C hasn't been reached! 😁

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Well Exeter reached 30c today and according to some it reached 31C so really confused by the above table and the met office is based in Exeter?!

Is the Exeter reading people are quoting, an official station or an amateur?

Posted
4 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

What I've noticed is that Airport met station readings in the country, before final published values, are usually rounded values. So Exeter Airport likely reached maybe 29.6C or 29.7C today. 

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

What I've noticed is that Airport met station readings in the country, before final published values, are usually rounded values. So Exeter Airport likely reached maybe 29.6C or 29.7C today. 

And what if it was 30.3C 🤔

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, richie3846 said:

Is the Exeter reading people are quoting, an official station or an amateur?

It was saying 30c on the netweather top temperature? Plus on my app it said 31c, mind you I live in a valley fairly near the river where it’s always warmer for some reason 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Methuselah said:

And what if it was 30.3C 🤔

Met Office would have tweeted it as part of the list of warmest temps in the UK today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

Are you sure? My app was indicating 31c so maybe on parts of Exeter it was actually warmer, can’t wait until I can get a weather station 

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Are you sure? My app was indicating 31c so maybe on parts of Exeter it was actually warmer, can’t wait until I can get a weather station 

I think apps just take readings from models at the current time and not met office stations but I don't use apps myself so i wouldn't know that much. Today's max temperatures has just appeared on meteociel shows Exeter airport got to 29.55C today the max.

Could contain:

• Thanks 2

Posted

Next enigma to fall will be tomorrow's record high CET mean which is only 19.4 from 1814. In more recent years the max was 19.0 in 2004. Even today had a higher record mean of 20.5 (1818) -- it used to be a tie with 1989 but that was revised to 20.4 in v2.0. Yesterday's (12 June) record high mean from 2006 was broken at 21.7, and today's may also be broken. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 13/06/2023 at 07:52, TwisterGirl81 said:

Do you miss England?  How come you moved?

sure do....reason i moved ? loadsa money 

money-money-money-money-dance.gif

• Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

We've lost two enigmas within a year.

The other was no December with a CET of 5.9°C

CET v2.0 is to blame for the 5.9C enigma, honestly wished it'd never happened. v1.0 was good as it is, and downwards corrections were always to look forward for.. depending on your preference. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
Just now, Frigid said:

CET v2.0 is to blame for the 5.9C enigma, honestly wished it'd never happened. 

It's just a number for goodness sake 🤣 The corrections to the CET series are minimal.

Posted
On 13/06/2023 at 19:40, Metwatch said:

I think apps just take readings from models at the current time and not met office stations but I don't use apps myself so i wouldn't know that much. Today's max temperatures has just appeared on meteociel shows Exeter airport got to 29.55C today the max.

Could contain:

Folk should always use Meteociel for up to the minute information and accuracy. The amount of information on there is just awesome. Meanwhile on the publicly funded Met Office website... designed and updated by children. 😂

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 13/06/2023 at 18:47, The PIT said:

Tis the Daily Fail  after all. So what other long standing oddities are there without going through the whole thread.

And to the Daily Mail, anything metric is foreign, evil, bad and subversive of course. And anything non-metric is British and must be championed.

No, we need to adopt a proper currency, untainted by metric nonsense, whereby one Boris equals 666 groats, and one groat equals 23 and fifteen thirty-eighths denarii.

😉

Edited by Summer8906