Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Introducing The Netweather Team

Paul Sherman

Posted

CAPE stands for Convective Available Potential Energy, and is a measure of the energy available for convective development if there is a trigger in place to lift the air to the point at which it can tap into that energy. So although it's a guide to how much energy there is for a storm to develop, it's dependent on other factors coming into play to get the storms going..

Posted
CAPE stands for Convective Available Potential Energy, and is a measure of the energy available for convective development if there is a trigger in place to lift the air to the point at which it can tap into that energy. So although it's a guide to how much energy there is for a storm to develop, it's dependent on other factors coming into play to get the storms going..

ahh thanks very much for that, have wounder what that was for a while thanks for explaing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Well, I'm starting to gear up for the chase finally. Work has been distracting me greatly for a while as half the team I work with have either moved on to other jobs or gone on long term sickness without being replaced, so I've had very little time to hype myself up yet. I don't think I'll really start worrying about models until at least next wednesday however. GFS long range has been pretty good on the big events, but it doesn't really impress me on the more marginal chase days. I just hope nothing forms miles from DFW on the 30th as that would kinda suck :)

Posted
Thought I'd pop this video here to get everyone in the mood..

Is this really the way to Amarillo?? :)

Right click here and save as.

Great vidio :):) I think its just dorning on me what I'm about to go and do and can not wait to get out there and get my first real taste of a big storm and fingers crossed maybe a tornado or two as well!!

Ian Cameron

Posted
Could Not resist this one.

post-24-1176932768_thumb.jpg

With only 9 days until we all meet at the Sofitel (Gatwick) on Saturday next week have been sorting through equipment. Pretty much everything ready.

Canon EOS 350D

Sony Handycam

Canon Battery Charger & 3 x Batteries

Sony Charger & 2 x 4 hour Batteries

15 x 1 hour Mini Dv Cassettes

1 x 2mg Memory Stick (520 Images)

Laptop

Baron System

Tripod

Remote Release Cable

2 x US to GB Socket converters

1 x 4 way Plug Adaptor

3 x 10 amp cigarette Power Sockets

Video Camera Suction Mount for Sony Handycam - Dashboard Mount

GPS Mouse Kit

GPS Mapping Software

Golfball, Marble, Softball

23 T-Shirts & Other Clothing

Suncream

Caps & Shades (Very Important)

Weather Radio

Passport, Car Hire Agreement, Plane Tickets, US Dollars

Would be good to see what the others are taking.

Paul Sherman

Well Paul you make me feel rather under prepared as I have not even started to pack yet :)

however i'm sure I'll be ready and fully kitted out by saturday morning i hope

Ian Cameron

Posted

Well you had better be ready for some action guys, could be time to RAMP IT UP BIG STYLE :)

Looks like we will only have 1 day possibly 2 at the most before a Potent system could rattle into the Plains and set up some Panhandle Magic, you know the ones 4 Inch hailstones etc.

Paul Sherman

Posted
Have a great trip team! Really excited for you and looking forward to reading reports and seeing pics, can't imagine how you must be feeling! :shok:

For me, it's a strange mix of excitement, anxiety, more excitement, nerves, even more excitement, and then sheer blind panic hoping I've not forgotten to do/buy/pack anything too important!

-PBS-

Posted
Could Not resist this one.

post-24-1176932768_thumb.jpg

With only 9 days until we all meet at the Sofitel (Gatwick) on Saturday next week have been sorting through equipment. Pretty much everything ready.

Canon EOS 350D

Sony Handycam

Canon Battery Charger & 3 x Batteries

Sony Charger & 2 x 4 hour Batteries

15 x 1 hour Mini Dv Cassettes

1 x 2mg Memory Stick (520 Images)

Laptop

Baron System

Tripod

Remote Release Cable

2 x US to GB Socket converters

1 x 4 way Plug Adaptor

3 x 10 amp cigarette Power Sockets

Video Camera Suction Mount for Sony Handycam - Dashboard Mount

GPS Mouse Kit

GPS Mapping Software

Golfball, Marble, Softball

23 T-Shirts & Other Clothing

Suncream

Caps & Shades (Very Important)

Weather Radio

Passport, Car Hire Agreement, Plane Tickets, US Dollars

Would be good to see what the others are taking.

Paul Sherman

Paul, you forgot one very important item: an umbrella!! ;)

Have a great trip everyone and stay safe.

Smich

Posted
For me, it's a strange mix of excitement, anxiety, more excitement, nerves, even more excitement, and then sheer blind panic hoping I've not forgotten to do/buy/pack anything too important!

-PBS-

Don't worry about if you've forgotten anything, Walmart sells everything! Have a great time/experience, how jealous am I????

Posted
Don't listen to Paul when he tells you to stick your head out the car window Ian... :lol:

and there was Paul telling me that was standerd procedure!!!

Posted
Paul, you forgot one very important item: an umbrella!! :lol:

Have a great trip everyone and stay safe.

Smich

Hmm, it could be quite amusing taking an umbrella with us and seeing how it holds up to baseball sized hailstones ;) At the very least we good video it and showcase the amusement/pain on youtube. Those types of videos of utter stupidity resulting in somebody getting hurt seems to go down relly well :) We'd be Internet celebrities.

As for next week, I am so much more optomitic now than I was last week looking at the models for next week. Seems like some very chasable days on the cards. Still a little way out so I'll hold my breath for now, but if the GFS is to be believed, we shouldn't have too much problem finding ourselves some storms.

I'm all packed now and just about ready to go. It's a shame I was unable to reschedule my flight to the earlier day so I guess I'll see you all on Monday afternoon.

Out of interest, will anybody who is going be able to transfer video from minidv cassettes to a laptop whilst over there as I am borrowing my sister's camcorder but she doesn't have the driver disks anymore. If not I'd have to wait until I got back to share video with the rest of the forum ;)

Posted
I'm all packed now and just about ready to go.

Out of interest, will anybody who is going be able to transfer video from minidv cassettes to a laptop whilst over there as I am borrowing my sister's camcorder but she doesn't have the driver disks anymore. If not I'd have to wait until I got back to share video with the rest of the forum ;)

You're packed!!! :yahoo:

I'm just hoping that I get to see the bedroom floor at some point in the very near future. :wallbash::drinks::help:

As for the camcorder thing, we are taking a laptop but I have no experience or knowledge of how to transfer video. Sorry.

Stewart

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

What you need is something like DVgate plus , i have this for the vaio , software came with it.. just a couple

of clicks and ya away, also does HD too!!

Posted

The problem is I'm missing drivers and software for the camera. I'm not even sure it came with any at all to be honest. It was bought from pixmania (who are utter crap imho), and came with no English manual and only had a european power connector. I find all this out the week before I am to take it, despite asking to borrow the thing 2 months ago :wallbash: