Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

WE now see two due to the technology used. The laymans site uses older methods so that a truer comparison with previous cycles thus the comparison with cycle 5 and feeling that we are possibly entering a 'Dalton' type minimum

Absolutely Jon, All papers i have read point to us heading into a Dalton type phase.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a few pics from early this morning at West Sands, St. Andrews  First one was 100iso eq @ f1.8 and 10 sec exposure, strong moonlight about midnight with the faintest of hint of an aurora.

From Salon on the Isle Of Rum & The Isle Of Lewis tonight. Credit; Martin Keivers and Emma Mitchell.  

More shots here from Scotland last night. Fingers crossed again tonight as there is another predicted Kp7 ☺

Posted Images

I don't understand the difference between Dalton and maunder(not my forte this).Which one was the quietest cycle/coldest re weather type?

Thanks.

Edited by joggs
  • Like 1

I don't understand the difference between Dalton and maunder(not my forte this).Which one was the quietest cycle/coldest re weather type?

Thanks.

maunder was a long period of solar quiescence in the 16th century ,the dalton minimum was shorter period around the start of the 18 th century ...
  • Like 2

WE now see two due to the technology used. The laymans site uses older methods so that a truer comparison with previous cycles thus the comparison with cycle 5 and feeling that we are possibly entering a 'Dalton' type minimum

For the umpteenth time, Rudolf Wolf's telescope is STILL used in the sunspot count and the other sunspot observations are adjusted to it. Unless by "modern technology" you mean a telescope from the mid-19th century then you are incorrect. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Another cracking shot from last night, It really did put on a fantastic show of dancing light! I was up till 2am here with only a slight green glow from time to time.

• Like 2

SOLAR FLARE AND RADIO BLACKOUT: In the past 24 hours, sunspot AR2473 has more than quadrupled in size, On Dec. 23rd (00:40 UT) it erupted, producing anM4-class solar flare. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory recorded the extreme ultraviolet flash. More flares and blackouts are possible in the days ahead as AR2374 turns toward Earth. NOAA forecasters estimate a 45% chance of M-class explosions on Dec. 23-24 :http://spaceweather.com/

m4_strip.jpggoes-xray-flux.gif

Edited by Polar Maritime

Big sunspot AR2473 is directly facing Earth, and it has an unstable 'beta-gamma' magnetic field that harbors energy for strong explosions. NOAA forecasters estimate a 55% chance of M-class flares and a 10% chance ofX-flareshttp://spaceweather.com/

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

AURORAS LIKELY THIS WEEK: 2015 could end with an outburst of auroras. NOAA forecasters say there is a 60% chance of polar geomagnetic storms on Dec. 30th when a CME (described below) is expected to hit Earth's magnetic field. There is an equal 60% chance that the storms will spill over into Dec. 31st, New Year's Eve. http://spaceweather.com/ 

iSWACygnetStreamer?timestamp=2038-01-23+   

Solarham prediction Kp7 for the 30th. Don't know how we will fare with Atlantic storm Frank on the way. Maybe have to just go out and hope for the best - if I can stay on my feet.

• Like 2

WEAK IMPACT: As expected, a CME hit Earth's magnetic field on Dec. 31st (00:30 UT). The impact, however, was weak and did not produce a geomagnetic storm. Auroras are still possible in the hours ahead as Earth moves through the CME's turbulent wake, but so far this has not been a significant space weather event. http://spaceweather.com/