Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
shuggee

Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

Any thoughts on when the sun will start to quieten down again?

I assume we have now passed the maximum for this cycle.

Karyo

This is the max now

Correct...X5 Flare last night ! Posted Image

X-FLARE! Returning sunspot AR1967 unleashed a powerful X4.9-class solar flare on Feb. 25th at 00:49 UTC. This is the most intense flare of 2014 so far, and one of the most intense of the current solar cycle. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory recorded the extreme ultraviolet flash:http://www.spaceweather.com/

Posted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime

Thanks gigabite.

I am disappointed this cycle managed to re-activate itself after the quietness of last summer.

I guess things should start to quieten down somewhat in the second half of this year.

Karyo

STORM WARNING: NOAA forecasters estimate a 45% chance of minor geomagnetic storms on Feb. 27th when a CME from Tuesday's X4-flare is expected to deliver a glancing blow to Earth's magnetic field. A dark and moonless midnight sky favors the visibility of high-latitude auroras. http://www.spaceweather.com/

Yes CR, It's looking promising for Scotland ! Even Northern England could get lucky cloud depending.. Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime

Awesome view of the Aurora here, never seen it before, I've got that tingly feeling! WOWSERS :D

Crystal clear here, huge diffuse green band 45 degrees up, looks like high cloud but wow! hoping it improves going towards local midnight

EDIT 2201: Incredible display, streaks, vertical stacks, greens with occasional pinks. All up to 50 degrees high 

Edited by Mesosphere

Clear skies here but can't see anything

sweet nothing here :(

Crystal clear here, sweet nothing. It is clear right down to the N horizon (Vega and Deneb visible), have been looking all evening. Must be visible here if it is in Essex and Norfolk. 

Can't see anything here in the west midlands, but I imagine that living in a built up area doesn't help with light pollution!

Seeing that spectacular pic from Hereford, I would have thought that (even with a little light pollution) I should be able to see something..hm. It is wonderfully clear. Perfect conditions too. Such a shame. 

Looks like a faint glow on the low north horizon here, Get some light pollution here to the East from Wolves and West from Telford but North and South is usuallycrystal clear and the milky way normally easily visible

A red glow to the north but that's it at the mo

Was at the open-mic at the local tonight, went out for a few cheeky cigs between 10 and 11 but didn't see anything other than Jupiter and Orion, one day i'm determined to go on one of these 'aurora tours' however and see them other than on the telly.