Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

shuggee

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Posted

Posted
INTERPLANETARY SHOCK WAVE: An interpanetary shock wave possibly associated with the M5-class solar flare of May 17th swept past Earth on May 20th around 0200 UT. The shock's arrival caused geomagnetic activity around the poles, but so far no reports of high-latitude auroras. http://www.spaceweather.com/

Posted

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=siDQdR6n8mE&list=UUIp0KTgnQNZJIOQZqrVDw1g&index=1&feature=plcp

Eclipse from Taipei City, Taiwan

Posted Image

Solar Eclipse over Tokyo, Japan!

Posted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Posted

It has nothing to do with Nibiru or shifts in the Earth's axis of rotation - Nibiru does not exist and if it did it would have nothing to do with any eruptions on the Sun. The Sun's magnetic field is so strong that nothing that we can see between here and the orbit of Pluto - including the Earth - is large enough to have a visibly noticeable effect. Your Soho pictures are well out of date - Jupiter is not in field at the moment. I'd suggest that you take any information from a source who's grasp on science seems somewhat nebulous with a large pinch of salt.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Quite so, CR. There must be some scarily silly 'information' out there...

Posted

It has nothing to do with Nibiru or shifts in the Earth's axis of rotation - Nibiru does not exist and if it did it would have nothing to do with any eruptions on the Sun. The Sun's magnetic field is so strong that nothing that we can see between here and the orbit of Pluto - including the Earth - is large enough to have a visibly noticeable effect. Your Soho pictures are well out of date - Jupiter is not in field at the moment. I'd suggest that you take any information from a source who's grasp on science seems somewhat nebulous with a large pinch of salt.

There is no reference to Nibiru or the Earths axis of rotation having anything to do with the suns magnetic field in the posted video, All he is saying is that if Nebiru did exist the track of the eclipse would change, simple as that... Nibiru does not exist! As with the mistake that you point out regarding Jupiter...

NOON CONJUNCTION: Mercury, Jupiter and the Pleiades are converging for a beautiful three-way conjunction. Unfortunately, it's happening in broad daylight. The two planets and the star cluster are only a few degrees from the sun. The Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) photographed the encounter on May 22nd:

Posted Image

SOHO uses a coronagraph to block the glare of the sun, revealing what the human eye cannot see. Later today, Mercury and Jupiter will pass in the noon sky less than 1/3rd a degree apart. Join SOHO for a ringside seat. http://www.spaceweather.com/

In the coming days Jupiter will keep moving towards the right, and Mercury will move towards left. During the first week of June, Venus will also be visible in the SOHO LASCO C3 field of view. Venus transit will be seen during June 5th and 6th across the Earth.

Just to note, the guy who makes the video's that i post is a well respected NASA employee who contributed to getting the SOHO cameras up there.

I'd suggest that you take any information from a source who's grasp on science seems somewhat nebulous with a large pinch of salt. I have taken your comment on board with a large pinch of salt!

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted

From spaceweather.com:

QUIET SUN: With no sunspots actively flaring, the sun's x-ray output has flatlined. Solar activity is very low, and likely to remain so for the next 24 hours.

Says it all really...

Karyo

Posted

I don't understand what you mean by "says it all really"

But anyhow.... yes as in the latest video i posted shows, the sun is quiet at this moment in time.

Posted

But anyhow.... yes as in the latest video i posted shows, the sun is quiet at this moment in time.

I like his videos. In a couple now he has explained away a few anomalies that spawn some of these wild conspiracies. It's good to see the clear scientific explanations that help debunk them. Keep on posting them.

Posted

I mean that the sun has been quiet for much of the time. Any active periods are short-lived!

Karyo

Posted

Posted

PURPLE SKIES: Earth is entering a high-speed solar wind stream, and this is causing geomagnetic activity at high latitudes. First contact with the stream on May 22nd turned the sky over Cumbria, United Kingdom, deep purple:

Posted Image

"The sky was bright because of twilight, but we could still see these faint auroras," says photographer Jon Cooper.

So far the solar wind has not caused a full-fledged geomagnetic storm, but this could change during the next 24 hours. NOAA forecasters estimate a 15% to 20% chance of storms around the poles as the solar wind continues to blow. http://www.spaceweather.com/

Posted

I'm not entirely convinced that purple hue was a Aurora, I say that as atmospheric pollution has built up during the past 48hr and I was looking in this direction myself last night at the same time and no visible Aurora, or even NLCs were about. Aurorawatch up in Cooktree also report minimal activity, with a positive +H (nt).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm not convinced either, S_J. Of all the auroras I saw from Scotland, none was that colour; all of thelow-down ones like that were green. Having said that, it is possible that the atmospheric pollution you mention has affected a genuine aurora?Posted Image

Posted

Another quiet day!

QUIET SUN: With no sunspots actively flaring, the sun's x-ray output has flatlined. Solar activity is low, and likely to remain so for the next 24 hours.

The solar flux has dropped to 121

Karyo

Posted

Posted
CONTINUED QUIET: For the fourth day in a row, solar activity remains low. None of the sunspots on tthe Earthside of the sun pose a threat for strong flares. NOAA forecasters put the chances of an X-class eruption at less than 1%. http://www.spaceweather.com/

Posted

CONTINUED QUIET: For the fourth day in a row, solar activity remains low. None of the sunspots on tthe Earthside of the sun pose a threat for strong flares. NOAA forecasters put the chances of an X-class eruption at less than 1%. http://www.spaceweather.com/

Indeed! And the solar flux has fallen further: 117

Karyo

Posted

Posted
Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Posted

LIMB SHOTS: The sun's southeastern limb is hopping with activity. New sunspot AR1492, which just rotated onto the Earthside of the sun, is crackling with C-classsolar flares and hurling plumes of plasma off the stellar surface. Click on the image to set the scene in motion:

Posted Image

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory recorded the movie during the late hours of May 25th. According to the 3D Sun app, another active region is approaching just behind this one and could boost solar activity even more when it emerges in the days ahead. http://www.spaceweather.com/

Posted