181206 - Newcastle - 2

080107 - King's Lynn - 2

140107 - Leeds - 4

210107 - Heswall - 2

180207 - Nottingham - 3

240207 - Blackpool - 2

030307 - Blackburn - 3

Posted

I just couldn’t resist not having a punt at this.

This is my first ever post on this fantastic site (and possibly my last) as I have no qualifications or knowledge whatsoever to comment alongside the more learned amongst you, I have a genuine interest in what the weather is doing on a daily basis and am fascinated in its complexities. I have been a interested casual viewer over a long period of time and have followed many of you and your comments over from the early days on the BBC forums.

For what it's worth here goes...

311206 - London - 1

080107 - King's Lynn - 2

100107 - Peterborough - 2

260107 - Scarborough - 4

040207 - Dundee - 2

140207 - Liverpool - 3

240207 - Blackpool - 2

260207 - Middlesborough - 3

080307 - Newquay - 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

Hi Stratos,

Here is my revised list. Sorry about the earlier error:

251206 - Inverness – 3

311206 - London - 1

140107 - Glasgow – 5

300107 - Norwich - 3

040207 - Dundee – 2

040207 - Dundee - 2

080207 - Dublin – 2

100307 - Londonderry - 2

Posted

Thanks Stratos!

Correction - I've swapped Norwich for Fort William in March.

10/12/06 Aberdeen 3

14/01/07 Glasgow 5

23/01/07 Edinburgh 4

26/01/07 Carlisle 3

04/02/07 Dundee 2

11/03/07 Fort William 3

:D Moose

Posted

This is my first ever post on this fantastic site (and possibly my last) as I have no qualifications or knowledge whatsoever to comment alongside the more learned amongst you, I have a genuine interest in what the weather is doing on a daily basis and am fascinated in its complexities. I have been a interested casual viewer over a long period of time and have followed many of you and your comments over from the early days on the BBC forums.

For what it's worth here goes...

311206 - London - 1

080107 - King's Lynn - 2

260107 - Scarborough - 4

040207 - Dundee - 2

140207 - Liverpool - 3

240207 - Blackpool - 2

260207 - Middlesborough - 3

080307 - Newquay - 1

Hi Fab, welcome to forum and great that you are joining in. There are plenty of places where you can join in the discussions, us novices are well tolerated by the with expert experience. :whistling:

Posted
How is this going to be verified, there aren't weather stations at several of the locations listed? :(

We shall apply wild imagination...at this rate, in this time when mild is the new cold, that might be the closest we actually get to wintry weather.

This is my first ever post on this fantastic site (and possibly my last) as I have no qualifications or knowledge whatsoever to comment alongside the more learned amongst you

Believe you me, however unqualified you might feel, there will be plenty on here even less qualified than that. At least you recognise it! Besides, nowhere in the N-W charter does it demand that contributors know what they're talking about; all you need is access to a computer and the enthuiasm to have a go. Don't let Steve Murr put you off; he means well. lol

Posted

OK here are my wild guesses. Aberdeen 171206--- 2, Manchester 150107--1, Newcastle 140107--2, Aberdeen 190107--3. Aberdeen 060207--4, Newcastle 150207----3,Aberdeen 220207----3, Manchester 200207----2.

Posted

My entry hope it's not to late.

251206 - Inverness - 3

300107 - Norwich - 3

060207 - Dover - 2

040207 - Dundee - 2

010307 - Derby - 2

110207 - Portsmouth - 2

180207 - Reading - 2

080107 - King's Lynn - 2

Matt

Posted

Morning all

this report via yahoo and reuters does not bode well.

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia's capital, renowned for its trademark frosty winters, started the calendar winter with the warmest day recorded in December, the state weather monitoring unit said on Friday.

Russia started to record temperatures in 1879. December 1 this year is likely to beat the previous record set on December 4, 1953, a Rosgidromet spokeswoman said.

"In 1953 the temperature was plus 4.2 degrees Celcius (39.6 Fahrenheit), and tonight it will be plus 4.5 degrees (40.1 Fahrenheit)," she said. "We can call it a new record."

The average temperature for December in Moscow is around minus 4 degrees Celcius. The spokeswoman said cylcones in the north Atlantic have created unusually warm weather in central Russia.

LO

Posted
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland
  • Weather Preferences: Storm-force northeasterly(with a high tide!).Blizzards.Sunny summer
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland
Morning all

this report via yahoo and reuters does not bode well.

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia's capital, renowned for its trademark frosty winters, started the calendar winter with the warmest day recorded in December, the state weather monitoring unit said on Friday.

Russia started to record temperatures in 1879. December 1 this year is likely to beat the previous record set on December 4, 1953, a Rosgidromet spokeswoman said.

"In 1953 the temperature was plus 4.2 degrees Celcius (39.6 Fahrenheit), and tonight it will be plus 4.5 degrees (40.1 Fahrenheit)," she said. "We can call it a new record."

The average temperature for December in Moscow is around minus 4 degrees Celcius. The spokeswoman said cylcones in the north Atlantic have created unusually warm weather in central Russia.

LO

:blush: Hello everyone, I'm a new member here, and this little competition is a great idea.........though as others have said above, it's looking like after a few years of somewhat chillier winters, we're heading back into the late 80s/early 90s pattern with a bang (is that due to the return of El Nino, added to the years of overall steady climate warming of course?) :(

The warm blocking high over Central Europe & the Med has slipped a bit, but is still over East Europe, with no sign of the Siberian high getting a grip at all. The above info about Moscow doesnt surprise me one bit, I've been following the stats even just casually in the last few weeks and cant recall such a warm November & start to December in North & East Europe. :angry:

Was in Frankfurt a week ago, was 17 degrees C, with many trees still having greenish leaves, crazy. At this rate the famous Christmas Markets will see people in fashions more typical of the festive season at Bondi Beach or in Hawaii B) :nonono:

:) On a more positive note for us cold sympathisers & planet environmental balance worriers, the North American Continent has seen some cold so far, though forecasts show that receding this week. Atlantic charts give me some hope that by the end of this week colder air may have moved in over these islands from the Northwest :D

With mild air still over the Continent, this means that only the North & west of Britain and Ireland has any realistic chance of any white stuff in the next 7 days or so............ :blush:

In regards to the competition, is there any chance we could select our own dates? It's a real lottery with pre-ordained dates................I know, it's a lottery anyway! :blush:

My predictions:

231206 Belfast-2

251206 Inverness-3

080107 King's Lynn-2

260107 Carlisle-3

040207 Dundee-2

260207 Middlesborough-3

010307 Derby-2

040307 Ipswich-2

311206 London-1

Now what's with all the Aberystwith predictions? West coast of Wales, snow?? :o :doh: Also Dublin Airport has had virtually no snow in the past 4 years, due to it mainly hitting the north and west, and the east wind not being cold enough anymore. Still, law of averages and all that................ :D

Edited by Altohumorous

Posted
Hmmmm?

10-12-06 - Aberdeen – 3

S

ohh what fun SF your a genius

10/12/06 aberdeen 3

Thanks Stratos!

Correction - I've swapped Norwich for Fort William in March.

10/12/06 Aberdeen 3

I guess it is strike one for us three?

Posted

With me knowing when it is going tosnow i will win

18-12-06 Newcastle 2

05-01-07 Sheffield 3

10-12-06 Aberdeen 3

14-01-07 glasgow 5

04-02-07 Durham 5

100307 - Londonderry - 2

There we are that makes 20

SM06

Edited: No march included in original post

18-12-06 Newcastle 2

05-01-07 Sheffield 3

10-12-06 Aberdeen 3

14-01-07 glasgow 5

04-02-07 Durham 5

100307 - Londonderry - 2

Posted

Well, between us we got there eventually...

Depending on how things pan out over the next week we may open a transfer window around the New Year! There may even be one or two new continental players!!!

Some interesting tactics; a few liberos deployed, one or two packing the back-line in December: I like Jon Cox's style - playing two number 4s!

Fantasy_winter_league.xls

Edited by Stratos Ferric

Posted

Good evening SF, as I ignored March by mistake and used all my 20 points I will change if allowed to the following------Aberdeen 17/12----2, Manchester 15/01----1, Newcastle 14/1----2,Aberdeen 19/1----2, Aberdeen 6/2---2, Newcastle 15/2---2, Aberdeen 22/2--- 2,Manchester 20/2---1, Aberdeen 7/3---3, Newcastle 15/3---- 3.

Posted
Good evening SF, as I ignored March by mistake and used all my 20 points I will change if allowed to the following------Aberdeen 17/12----2, Manchester 15/01----1, Newcastle 14/1----2,Aberdeen 19/1----2, Aberdeen 6/2---2, Newcastle 15/2---2, Aberdeen 22/2--- 2,Manchester 20/2---1, Aberdeen 7/3---3, Newcastle 15/3---- 3.

Do all those options for Aberdeen really exist? Anyone would think there aren't anyother settlements on the sticky out bit above Dundee but below Inverness.

What do you mean there aren't?

Posted
Do all those options for Aberdeen really exist? Anyone would think there aren't anyother settlements on the sticky out bit above Dundee but below Inverness.

What do you mean there aren't?

Morning,My son lives there and I am hoping to spend some time there on those dates!!!!

Posted

Not sure how this works, can you just make up your own list?

If so, here's mine:

4 Jan -- Glasgow (3)

5 Jan -- Lake Vyrynwy (3)

18 Jan -- Wittering (2)

19 Jan -- Newcastle (3)

20 Jan -- B'ham (2)

21 Jan -- Norwich (2)

30 Jan -- Belfast (2)

31 Jan -- West Freugh (3)

and that's about it.

Posted
Not sure how this works, can you just make up your own list?

If so, here's mine:

4 Jan -- Glasgow (3)

5 Jan -- Lake Vyrynwy (3)

18 Jan -- Wittering (2)

19 Jan -- Newcastle (3)

20 Jan -- B'ham (2)

21 Jan -- Norwich (2)

30 Jan -- Belfast (2)

31 Jan -- West Freugh (3)

and that's about it.

Roger,

The rules are on page 1. You need at least one from each month Dec-Mar.

Posted

The first fantasy points have been scored. Little did I realise just how hard verifying data would prove - God 'elp us if we get to a lying snow scenario, remote though that eventuality may seem just now. Anyway, the decision of the Stratosvale jury is that frost points be rewarded to Newcastle for 18/12. A number of people had the foresight to choose the Toon. For a moment or two there I was worried we'd need a tiebreaker come the winter's end to break the points drought. I have verified using two stations reporting to WX, both located in South Shields.

Edited by Stratos Ferric

Posted

OK folks, I know this is meant to be fantasy but here's a real situation you can all fantasise about. The start of the "big one" 44 years ago:

http://www.mtullett.plus.com/1962-63/26Dec-1962.htm

and here's the synoptic chart:

http://www.mikett.plus.com/winter-62-63-ma...ember/26dec.jpg

This is the stuff of weather dreams !

Posted

Here's the results to 30th December...

Amazingly, there have been some points scored. I sense that next year we might be going further afield, with all the problems that that will bring re validaation...

post-364-1167591419_thumb.png

Posted

I guess I'm disqualified for being right about December --no snow.

This reminds me of a car rally I once entered while in university (betcha didn't know they offered astrology courses in university, but this is Canada we're talking about).

We were disqualified for returning too soon to the starting point.

Apparently they were worried we had guessed the checkpoints and made up the information. Paranoia seems to follow me around. :shok: