Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

i think your friend was right..got back to Edmonton friday at around 5 and had just missed the storm..watching the news it seems some area just west of the city had close to 50cm of snow in 8 hours!...funny thing is by the time i drove back to Calgary yesterday it had all gone..even though it wasnt particularly warm..in fact it never really got much above 2c all weekend...but loads of sunshine and long days did the damage.

I noticed that the other week, the sun is getting strong now, even with the air temperature below freezing any sunshine eats into it.

We are snow free now (unless you want to count the big piles around the edges of parking lots and some patches in shaded areas), spring has sprung? Looks that way today, though may be cold enough for snow towards the end of the week I don't suppose we can be totally sure yet. I seem some parts around New Brunswick had some snow a few days ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Spring never really springs in Alberta can snow right up to and including beginning of June..then bang its the middle of summer..literally because then we are into thunderstorm season!!

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted

Spring never really springs in Alberta can snow right up to and including beginning of June..then bang its the middle of summer..literally because then we are into thunderstorm season!!

I hear what you're saying, cold snaps and some what must be temporary snow coverings can occur right through May but does that mean Spring has not sprung? This year especially I would say is not a normal year given how mild its been and continues to be so.

I was looking at the 14 day trend for Edmonton and it looks very spring like (they'd call those temperatures summer in these parts!) more so than here though it still feels spring like out, those sort of temperatures must kickstart the growing season? All ready here the grass is turning a little green and we haven't really had the mild mild temperatures some places have had.

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted

night time lows here of minus 11oC but day time highs of 12oC. Been very nice and sunny but I expect rain and night time snows Thursday through Saturday here in the mountains, rain in Calgary

Posted

Very warm air over most of B.C. and spreading into Alberta on Wednesday, followed by some thunderstorms and locally heavy rainfalls especially south of Calgary around High River. Freezing level will stay very high, snow perhaps above 2500-2800m. Could get interesting in Calgary on Thursday, stacked low drifting northeast through the region. But temps 12-15 C, should be all rain except on highest parts of foothills well above the higher suburbs.

We've had sunshine and 18-20 C here past two or three days, finally seeing some movement towards spring blooming on the local deciduous trees although shrubs and bushes have been in bloom for a few weeks now.

Posted

Its been great weather here. Coming back from Banff at 8:30pm last night and temps were still 12oC. Forecast upto 16oC today.

I am off to stay at Storm Mountain Lodge on Thursday night on the Alberta/BC border, elevation approx 7200 ft. I think I might be seeing some heavy wet snow.

Posted

Is around 14/15 degrees and sunny again for 2nd day in a row, warmer than the UK for a change, better weather here than most of last summer. Making the most of it and tidying the garden (why does it seem to collect Tim Hortons cups over winter? lol) Looks like coming to an abrupt halt tomorrow though,ran and turning cooler over the next few days maybe some snow showers about.

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted

UPDATE for the Alberta rainfall to snowfall event ... would now say that snow line will continue to edge down to reach about 1000m by mid-day Friday and lower than actual elevations on Saturday as the event hangs around draining out all of its moisture for about four days. So look for heavy rain on Thursday, some embedded thunderstorms, a sleety mix by Friday with snow coming down the hillsides to valley level, then into Calgary as mixing continues to move lower, and the event will finish off with about 3-7 cms of snow for Calgary on Saturday before dying out. Storm Mtn Lodge, think I had to stay there on a trip once because of road closures in winter, that's far enough west and high enough that you should see all snow and maybe not all that wet, possibly it will have started to fall by Thursday afternoon there. But the general theme is very gradual cooling as the low spins around in southeast Alberta and runs out of mild air first, then moisture, and finally breaks up as stronger low pressure moves up the stalled front towards Manitoba.

Posted

I see they've put a warning out for a few areas in SW Alberta, 10-20cm.

Rain here today 15-25mm, 10 degrees cooler, what a difference a day makes, foggy too...this is more like the weather I expect here lol

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted

yup I am going to be in the heart of the storm tonight in a log cabin with an log burning fire and potentially a load of snow falling. I am going to enjoy :-)

Posted

Is snowing heavily in Calgary right now

Posted

Its been snowing the most bizaare snow i have ever seen...flakes the size of dinner plates like somebody throwing snowballs from the sky.

post-2495-0-30232700-1334288017_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted

wow thats some crazy snow - nothing but rain here. We have missed virtually every major snowstorm this spring (i'm not complaining though :-)

Posted

Its been snowing the most bizaare snow i have ever seen...flakes the size of dinner plates like somebody throwing snowballs from the sky.

I've seen the 50pence piece snow but never dinner plates lol.

Here it's been mainly sunny the past week or so, and quite warm some days, sunny and warmer than I seen here the entire of last June. Probably the hottest day of the year so far today, they've forecast 16degrees but is all ready almost that (15.7 degrees) and is only 11:30 so wouldn't expect the temperature to peak till around 3pm with barely a cloud in the sky, perhaps 18/19 maybe even 20 degrees possible and with the UV Index at 6 or high a risk of getting sunburnt if out in it for too long. I'm sure it wont last though, infact looks cooler after Wednesday and still no surprise if we see a bit of snow next week.

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted

wow thats some crazy snow - nothing but rain here. We have missed virtually every major snowstorm this spring (i'm not complaining though :-)

Had snow on and off most of the weekend...seems that winter has decided it prefers to put in appearence in spring...have a horrible feeling could be in for another cold wet summer? Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted

Wow 20 degrees here at 2pm, might of peaked now we shall see, not too far shy of the April record (24 degrees) if it can notch it up another degree or so, didn't expect to be walking around in shorts this early in the year!

Posted

Wow 20 degrees here at 2pm, might of peaked now we shall see, not too far shy of the April record (24 degrees) if it can notch it up another degree or so, didn't expect to be walking around in shorts this early in the year!

is -1c and snowing yet again herePosted Image

Posted

6oC and sunny here - come to the mountains lol

Posted

is -1c and snowing yet again herePosted Image

Looks like switching soon, I see you're forecast 15-21 into the weekend, after today we're heading back to single digits maybe even some snow next week. Be a bit of a shock to see any snow after last few days though such swings normal for April, any snow isn't going to stick around long now.

BTW it peaked at just over 20 degrees yesterday so didn't get any warmer, not an April record though FWIW apparently the warmest April 17th by some margin (previous 16 degrees).

I wonder if today will be warmer, isn't forecast to be but is all ready over 18 degrees at 10:30am, 2 or 3 degrees warmer than this time yesterday, only thing is meant to cloud over/rain later I think.

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted

I spoke too soon. Woke up to a dusting of snow here...shouldnt last long. I was out running yesterday and got a nice tan.

Posted

I spoke too soon. Woke up to a dusting of snow here...shouldnt last long. I was out running yesterday and got a nice tan.

No snow but back to normal here now, couple of degrees, grey and damp. Probably wont need the shorts again until July lol

Another record temperature was set yesterday in St. John's. Environment Canada says the record for April 18 was 18.3 degrees, which was set in 1883. The mercury hit 20.1 at St. John's International Airport yesterday. Tuesday was also another record-breaker, with the temperature reaching 20 degrees in St. John's, breaking the old record of 16.5 degrees which was set in 2005. It's back to reality today with more seasonable temperatures for this time of year.

Posted

This is not exactly weather related but might interest some, there is an iceberg in one of the entrances to one of the narrows around here and yesterday 2 guys decided to swim out and climb it, absolute nutters given A) how cold the ocean is and b)the danger of the iceberg breaking up and rolling, it's on the cbs site:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2012/04/18/nl-iceberg-climbers-419.html?cmp=rss

And someones filmed them jumping of, again nutters! :

Posted

lol - thats funny - they are either crazy or brave

Posted

Snow warning in operation for Pennsylvania.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

819 AM EDT MON APR 23 2012

...A LATE SEASON SNOWSTORM WILL AFFECT THE NORTHERN AND WESTERN

MOUNTAINS OF PENNSYLVANIA...INCLUDING THE LAUREL HIGHLANDS

THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING...

PAZ004>006-010>012-017-018-024-033-037-041-232030-

/O.CON.KCTP.WS.W.0003.000000T0000Z-120424T1600Z/

WARREN-MCKEAN-POTTER-ELK-CAMERON-NORTHERN CLINTON-CLEARFIELD-

NORTHERN CENTRE-CAMBRIA-SOMERSET-TIOGA-NORTHERN LYCOMING-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WARREN...BRADFORD...COUDERSPORT...

ST. MARYS...RIDGWAY...EMPORIUM...RENOVO...DUBOIS...CLEARFIELD...

PHILIPSBURG...JOHNSTOWN...SOMERSET...MANSFIELD...WELLSBORO

819 AM EDT MON APR 23 2012

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EDT

TUESDAY...

* LOCATIONS...NORTHERN AND WESTERN MOUNTAINS OF PENNSYLVANIA

INCLUDING THE LAUREL HIGHLANDS.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW ON THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS...ACCOMPANIED

BY INCREASING NORTH TO NORTHWEST WINDS DURING THE DAY.

* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 8 IN THE VALLEYS...WITH A FOOT OR MORE ON

THE MOUNTAIN TOPS.

* TIMING...THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING. THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL RATES OF

OVER AN INCH PER HOUR AT TIMES WILL OCCUR THROUGH THE MIDDAY

HOURS MONDAY. THE VALLEY LOCATIONS WILL SEE RAIN MIX IN WITH THE

SNOW.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL FROM PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW AND POOR

VISIBILITY. TREE DAMAGE IS EXPECTED. FALLING TREES AND LIMBS

WILL KNOCK DOWN UTILITY LINES...LIKELY CAUSING POWER OUTAGES...

ESPECIALLY OVER THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

* WINDS...NORTH AT 10 TO 20 MPH TURNING NORTHWEST WITH GUSTS UP

TO 30 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 30S.

* VISIBILITIES...BETWEEN ONE HALF OF A MILE AT TIMES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR

HEAVY SNOW MEANS A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF SNOW IS FORECAST THAT

WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. IN ADDITION...SINCE SOME TREES

ALREADY CONTAIN NEAR FULL-FOLIAGE... THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR

DOWNED TREES AND NUMEROUS POWER OUTAGES FROM THE COMBINED EFFECT

OF THE HEAVY WET SNOW AND WIND. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN

EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...BLANKET AND A CELLULAR PHONE IN YOUR

VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY. STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO

OR YOUR FAVORITE SOURCE OF WEATHER INFORMATION FOR THE LATEST

UPDATES. ADDITIONAL DETAILS CAN ALSO BE FOUND AT...

WEATHER.GOV/STATECOLLEGE.

&&

Posted

Could hit 80' today forecast high 27c..also forecasting a rain sleet and snow for FridayPosted Image