Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

I think the really cold air will take some time to force its way into the Rockies, at first it will take the easier route southeast into the prairies, but then around December I am expecting the milder air to be forced out of the west as well. Short term, I agree the pineapples will be falling from the sky, better wear my hard hat for Hallowe'en. Nice to see gas at an affordable price again, isn't it?

Posted

Yep def good at the gas pumps, we are down to 99 cents a liter here, how about you?

Posted

Always a bit higher here than in Alberta, maybe $1.07 ... although I have been on propane for ages and that's been steady at 79 cents ... well, we have the steady rain here, not too torrential thankfully, so flooding at a minimum so far, not a pineapple in sight either. Very cold up Alaska-Yukon-NWT way again. This seems to be building and biding its time. I don't think the deep freeze will materialize for western Canada until very late November or first half of December.

Posted

I agree, very warm today with chinook winds here, looking at 20oC in the city, about 15 oC here Not been a drop of precip since early October and if the forecast is right we might go a whole month before seeing any precip. I think your right about getting into December before the cold air arrives. And once we get through the usual warm snap over christmas I personally think it will return with a vengeance in January and stay for quite some time

Posted

Rapid changce in weather here in Alberta (and higer elevations in BC), finally it appears winter has arrived. Day time temps below freezing with frequent snow shoers, albeit light. Maybe 5cm's tonight. Lots of snow on the hihger driving routes in BC. The Kootenay Pass is looking particularly bad right now

Posted

Yesterdays snow event was a non event really. A lot of Virga going on. The hills got about 10 cm's but here in the Valley we had less than 1cm, just a very small covering

Just in time as the Ski resorts were due to open this weekend, however, it looks like being delayed by a few weeks due to the lack of snow

Posted

Well they may get a few more cms in the next few days, plus it will turn cold enough for snow-making operations.

The really cold air is held back behind an arctic front that is easing southward through the central prairies, about to make contact with a juicy rain-laden storm in South Dakota that will bring mainly rain to southern Manitoba, a rain-snow mix to western ND and eastern SK and all snow a bit further west and north. This will delay real winter a bit longer for the central plains states, which are basking in 70F or milder warmth today, plus the thrill of the Reign of Obama, but that's a storm of a different dimension altogether. Could blow itself out rather quickly as many North American storms tend to do.

As usual, not much going on here on the wet coast.

Posted

Always a bit higher here than in Alberta, maybe $1.07 ... although I have been on propane for ages and that's been steady at 79 cents ... well, we have the steady rain here, not too torrential thankfully, so flooding at a minimum so far, not a pineapple in sight either. Very cold up Alaska-Yukon-NWT way again. This seems to be building and biding its time. I don't think the deep freeze will materialize for western Canada until very late November or first half of December.

Hi Roger,

Here on the East coast we are down to 96 cents a litre but I know in Toronto its alot lower.

Weather here at present has been good, the odd snow flurries which looked more like dandruff but thats about it. Halloween was pretty nippy but last night we had Guy Fawkes night celebration and got all dressed up warm and snug, only to find night time temps in the mid teens. Pretty good night and here in St Martins we might start a tradition.

Weather outlook for the next few days look dismal and rainy. I'm hoping for he snow to come soon, I really enjoyed last winter.

Well off to work......:-(

TTFN

Debs

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Realwinter like weather is still reluctant to kick in here in Southern Alberta. After a few cm's at the weekend, we are back to temps around 12oC with a chinook coming in yesterday. Very pleasant. Ski hills are just open but struggling. Here's to a few snowsotrms in the next few weeks...cold snap at the end of November me thinks

PS - 87 cents a liter now

Posted

Realwinter like weather is still reluctant to kick in here in Southern Alberta. After a few cm's at the weekend, we are back to temps around 12oC with a chinook coming in yesterday. Very pleasant. Ski hills are just open but struggling. Here's to a few snowsotrms in the next few weeks...cold snap at the end of November me thinks

PS - 87 cents a liter now

Had our first dusting of snow here this morning with more forecast. Nothing as significant as last year. Wish we had Torontos snow. Temps are chilly with a windcholl of -9. Overnight temps down to -7. Had a mega storm here at the weekend. Will post fotos later.

Gas down to 84 cents a litre and set to drop again on Wednesday. Good thing.

Debs

Posted

Debs, you may get some more snow on Wednesday, a storm is developing off Cape Cod and moving towards Newfoundland, you should be on the colder side of it and see perhaps 5-10 cms of snow.

C-coops, expect a bit of snow late today or overnight with a cold front that is trailing the low currently moving past to the north of Canmore, it will be fairly mild until midnight or so, then a bit colder tomorrow, but as you say the milder pattern will probably hold for another week or two, as the cold air is heading down across SK and MB towards the Great Lakes at this point. I'm expecting all of this to back up (retrogression) and keep the cold air further west by December.

The set-up so far is very similar to the cold winter analogue that I found, 1949-50 ... November 49 was fairly warm in Alberta, then the winter turned bitterly cold. And in the Great Lakes region, the winter started early in November but then flip-flopped to very mild conditions for most of Dec and Jan.

Posted

Cold air flooding south across the Great Lakes today and tomorrow will bring further heavy lake effect snowfalls, some places west of London ON have seen 15-30 inches already and expect the same amount in the next 36h. :D

The weak low that led in this cold air, an Alberta clipper as they are called in North America, is about to explode into a strong low east of New Jersey tonight, and by late Friday through Saturday will be bringing a near-blizzard to parts of NB, NS, and PEI ... Newfoundland remains on the mild east side of the storm track as per the last two of these.

Debs, you could get 10-20 cms from this, and very gusty NE winds. It should be around -4 C for the storm.

That mild winter pattern I was expecting is probably about two weeks away. This cold November matches the analogue winter season of 1949-50 as the second half of Nov 1949 was similar to what we're seeing so far this month. The cold in the east relaxed in early December and quickly retrogressed to the western-central regions of the continent. We'll see if this happens again. So far the cold air has only given glancing blows to Alberta and BC, yesterday was a lovely day here with clear skies, today, it is windy and raining quite hard as a strong front is edging into the coast. Some snow likely for the Rockies with this although it won't stay cold enough very long before a weak chinook sets in tomorrow night. Could be some freezing drizzle in central Alberta as the warming is mostly aloft north of Calgary.

Posted

I spoke to a friend who lives in Collingwood, Ontario, just on Geogian Bay, and they have had over 2 feet in the past few days, and expect another foot of snow by tomorrow.

Weather warning from the weather network below talks of 'colossal' amounts of snow, nice to hear words like that sometimes

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/index.php...gion=wwcaon0005

Posted

Cold air flooding south across the Great Lakes today and tomorrow will bring further heavy lake effect snowfalls, some places west of London ON have seen 15-30 inches already and expect the same amount in the next 36h. :rolleyes:

The weak low that led in this cold air, an Alberta clipper as they are called in North America, is about to explode into a strong low east of New Jersey tonight, and by late Friday through Saturday will be bringing a near-blizzard to parts of NB, NS, and PEI ... Newfoundland remains on the mild east side of the storm track as per the last two of these.

Debs, you could get 10-20 cms from this, and very gusty NE winds. It should be around -4 C for the storm.

Hi Guys,

Yes its pretty cold here today, temps not above -3 with windchill even colder. Had a sample of snow Wednesday, our first real session o fhte winter. Forecast here is looking good for snow tommorow so I am off to wax my sledge.....lol

Hubby in Ontario at present and he says its came down pretty hard yesterday and at least a foot in depth.

Bring it on. Sorry guys, I love the snow :-)

TTFN

Debs

Posted

Debs, update for you, the incoming storm is on track, it is just deepening now off Cape Cod and heading towards Cape Breton Island, expect 10-15 cms at your location, winds almost parallel to the north shore of Fundy but perhaps enough back around to north to keep the gusts tolerable, could be 30-45 mph during the snowfall, which should start around midnight local time and last most of Saturday. It will then turn even colder for a day or two, -12 C seems possible, and there will be further chances for snow next week. I am expecting this pattern to back up to the west through early December.

The heaviest snow in Ontario so far is a whopping 80 cms west of London ON, the city there just escaped this amount by a few miles but ended up getting 20-30 as the band moved through earlier today. Now the heavier squalls are east to north of London in two bands coming off Lake Huron, and north of Toronto from Georgian Bay.

Posted

Hi all,

Well our first serious snow of the season and its looks great. Must tbe warming up a little bit as the snowflakes are bigger now (10.50 Local time) but its still coming down. Can't find my bloomin snow pants but will still be out sledging later.

Anyway, a few piccies for you, not as major as Toronto but good enough for me. Enjoy.

TTFN

Debs

post-47-1227365735_thumb.jpg

post-47-1227365761_thumb.jpg

post-47-1227365789_thumb.jpg

Edited by debs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Fab pics Debs, a really good dollop there !

Makes my dusting today look rather pathetic, http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Cheers,

BL x

Posted

Hi BL.

Yes we did have a dumping and its still coming down although its tapered off a wee bit now. I watched the BBC weather video and saw how much snow East Anglia was getting and I would have been pleased as punch to get over 10 cms and they always seem to get the amounts wrong anyways so theres probably more than that. We would have already of built our snowman and walked the dogs several times by now.

I hope everyone who got snow in the Uk are enjoying it.

TTFN

Debs

Edited by debs

Posted

So the amazing warmth and dryness continues here in southern Alberta. No snow at all in over 3 weeks and barely a trace in over a month, temps well above freezing. Locals who have lived here for 15-20 years say they have never known it like this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

So the amazing warmth and dryness continues here in southern Alberta. No snow at all in over 3 weeks and barely a trace in over a month, temps well above freezing. Locals who have lived here for 15-20 years say they have never known it like this.

Uk going to borrow some of your snow this winter http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif

Posted

I think it's all on track, Rich, the cold winter of 1949-50 started slowly, not much snow or cold before mid-December, then it locked into severe cold for two months. I'm thinking it won't be quite as extreme this time, but similar, which may mean the cold will come with more snow further north, in that case the snow was out towards the coast and down through the western US. For the short term, another warmer period building over the west coast through this weekend. The eastern half of N America remains a little colder than average but the flow is beginning to flatten out and I think there will be some very mild spells for the northeast US in later December into January.

Some relatively heavy rain overnight in the Las Vegas NV region, urban flooding etc. That system is moving slowly east through UT and AZ today. Looks to be the seeding for a low that may cut northeast from Texas over the weekend.

Posted

I agree Roger, its all looking like its going to go that way. It will be interesting as I am in the UK for 3 weeks over Christmas nad New Year, although it may be colder than averag there, I have a feeling that I will be coming back to Canada in january to some extremely cold weather.

Uk going to borrow some of your snow this winter http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

I think you could be right, lets hope its between Dec 17th and January 7th, when I am there

Posted

The grass is actually still growing a touch in places, either that or I am drunk and I havent even had a drink tonight lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

what prospects for the edmonton area through january and february..as i will be comming back after new year..i can see that it has been unusually mild in recent weeks any reason for this???

Posted

what prospects for the edmonton area through january and february..as i will be comming back after new year..i can see that it has been unusually mild in recent weeks any reason for this???

I have been speaking to Roger on this matter and it looks like this winter is taking a similar track to some gone by whereby the Autumn is extremely warm and dry in the West and the East is a lot colder and snowier than normal. However it looks like we could start turning alot colder by mid December and as for January/February, I would say very cold, maybe avergae precip. Looks like us in Alberta could be looking at minus 35oC's. Just another normal winter then lol