Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Carinthian's Latest Arctic Reports Thread

Posted

Source of the graph I provided

This uses the raw GHCN Land Surface Data

Available here

Your first graph compares temperatures now to the average of about the last 20 years which would tend to indicate a warming since 1990 which I would not dispute.

The other graph compares august temperatures for a number of years which is not the same as the average temperature for the whole year compared to previous years.

My assertion is not that global warming has not taken place but on a global level warming may not have taken place in the last few years. Bearing in mind that sunspot activity has dropped away and we have been in the clutches of la nina which are known to drop global temperatures it is not surprising.

Edited by BrickFielder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

BFs post is balanced and valid IMO :) People are entitiled to their opinions WIB especially when still backed up by scientists and evidence to contrary yours' and many other walks of society line of thinking. Nice use of 'fringe' :D

Now what's the latest on our favourably located ice build up and cold pooling...Carinthian? :D

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted
Source of the graph I provided

This uses the raw GHCN Land Surface Data

Available here

Your first graph compares temperatures now to the average of about the last 20 years which would tend to indicate a warming since 1990 which I would not dispute.

The other graph compares august temperatures for a number of years which is not the same as the average temperature for the whole year compared to previous years.

My assertion is not that global warming has not taken place but on a global level warming may not have taken place in the last few years. Bearing in mind that sunspot activity has dropped away and we have been in the clutches of la nina which are known to drop global temperatures it is not surprising.

BF. How do you explain 2005 being the equal warmest recorded year ever and 9 of the last 10 years being in the top 10 warmest years ever?? It doesn't seem to sit easily with your last paragraph.

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
BF. How do you explain 2005 being the equal warmest recorded year ever and 9 of the last 10 years being in the top 10 warmest years ever?? It doesn't seem to sit easily with your last paragraph.

Paul

Paul

Probably relevant to the graph but where do you get warmest ever from?

BFTP

It does look very like the graph is saying 2002 is the warmest, but I could be reading it wrong. I believe the asterisk marks count as a year which is what I'm going by.

Edited by Mike W

Posted
Paul

Probably relevant to the graph but where do you get warmest ever from?

BFTP

NOAA, BFTP, the arbiters of this one!

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/resear...obal.html#Gtemp

"The 2005 global temperature was statistically indistinguishable from the standing record set in 1998. One data set, in use at NCDC since the late 1990s, produced a global annual temperature for 2005 that was slightly below 1998 (below left). An improved data set, which incorporates innovative algorithms that better account for factors such as changes in spatial coverage and evolving observing methods, results in 2005 being slightly warmer than 1998."

Posted

interesting to note the periods for basing their data on

1967-2005

1978-2000

1961-1990( for their temperature comments).

John