Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

June 1975 - Snow In June

conor123

Posted

1975 (June):

1. SNOW and SLEET occurred in June as far south as the London area during the first few days of June 1975 (sleet as far south as Portsmouth). (also noted on 12th Jun 1791). The snow melted away almost immediately, except over the higher parts of central and northern England. This is thought to be the first time since July 1888, that snow has been reported so widely so far south in summer. More than 10 cm of FRESH SNOW over the highlands of Scotland. SNOW (circa 2.5cm/1 inch) stops play (subsequently abandoned) at a CRICKET MATCH [ Derbyshire v. Lancashire ] at Buxton, Derbyshire on the 2nd. (some GPE, Manley)

2. New LOWEST MINIMA were set at Kew (0.6 degC/4th ... with a grass minimum of (minus) 6 degC at this station) and Tynemouth (2.7 degC/2nd) for June.

3. A 'spectacular' CHANGE OF TYPE: Early unusually cold/northerly outbreak with snow/frost etc., with midday TEMPERATURE on the 2nd only 2 degC (see above) ..... then on 7th, MAXIMA 22 to 27 degC. Thought to have occurred only 3 times in the previous 100 years. Over the following week, maxima of at least 27 degC were recorded somewhere in Britain each day. On the 9th, 28.9 degC was recorded at Achnashellach, in the northwest Highlands of Scotland. This is possibly the HIGHEST authenticated temperature for June in Scotland.

Rrea00219750601.gif

B)

From this website

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/booty.weather.../histclimat.htm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

For June, that has got to be the weirdest weather I've ever heard of. I have witnessed something similar in April 2003

Thursday 10th - Snow flurries on and off all day with a maxima of only 2.5C

Friday 11th - Sunday 12th - Cold and cloudy with maxima between 6 and 9C

Monday 13th - Cloudy but quite mild at 13C

Tuesday 14th - Sunny and warm all day 19C

Good Friday then reached 27.4C only a week after the snow.

Posted
For June, that has got to be the weirdest weather I've ever heard of. I have witnessed something similar in April 2003

Thursday 10th - Snow flurries on and off all day with a maxima of only 2.5C

Friday 11th - Sunday 12th - Cold and cloudy with maxima between 6 and 9C

Monday 13th - Cloudy but quite mild at 13C

Tuesday 14th - Sunny and warm all day 19C

Good Friday then reached 27.4C only a week after the snow.

I was in Lanzarote in the first part of April where temperatures were in the low 20's, and the next week back in England was nearly as warm.

Wasn't 27.4C reached on Wednesday 16th, Good Friday (18th), was a few degrees cooler.

Posted
I was in Lanzarote in the first part of April where temperatures were in the low 20's, and the next week back in England was nearly as warm.

Wasn't 27.4C reached on Wednesday 16th, Good Friday (18th), was a few degrees cooler.

Tues-Weds-Thurs were the hottest days, yes. Friday was still warm but not remarkably so as I remember it.

We had had sleet and snow showers the week before too- I don't remember June 1975 but remember changearounds like this in Mays of 1995 and 1997, when it changed from very warm to very cold in a few days.

Posted

the June 1975 event, for most areas, must be probably the largest turn aroiund in temps. Certainly the biggest for that time of year I can recall.

John

• 1 year later...
Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

Just wondering. If June 1975 and June 1791 had only warmed to June 1675 (C.E.T 11.5C) levels after the snowy cold spells - would those Junes have been the coldest on record with a C.E.T below 11C?

Incidentally because of the subsequent warm spells following the snowy spells both Junes 1975 and 1791 had the same C.E.Ts of 14.7C.