Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ten Years Ago This Week...

snowdrifter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

In the midst of all the 'winter's over' gloom and doom, many members will remember this week from 10 years ago, when we had a true east v west battle, with a classic stalling front off the atlantic. This brought bucketloads of snow to many areas, and for many of us, may well be the last major snow event we remember. Personally, I was living in Malvern, near Worcester, where it snowed from around 6pm on the 5th Feb to 6pm on the 6th - 24 hours of heavy snow. We had nearly 50cm of level snow, and I'll never forget it. It was a perfect set up for Blackpool too, as shown here.

The charts looked like this:

Nice!

Very Nice!

I just thought it might be an apt time to relive what was a great synoptic set-up snow-wise. Anyone else care to share their memories of that time?

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

The ten years are up:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119960127.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00219960127.gif

This was not a cold winter and yet it managed to serve up something for everyone. This winter as yet really hasn't cut the mustard even when judged against 1995/96.

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted
This was not a cold winter and yet it managed to serve up something for everyone. This winter as yet really hasn't cut the mustard even when judged against 1995/96.

Winter 1995-96 was a cold winter, it was a degree below the 1961-90 average. Winter 1995-96 was colder than every winter of the 1960s barring winter 1962-63. :blink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Here's what we could've had this winter :D

http://www.net-weather.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=27319

Ahh, the memories.......... :D

• 3 months later...
Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

We had a scaled down version of that event during March, while it was not as productive further south with places like Blackpool only getting four inches of snow, places such as Glasgow had upwards of eight inches.

Here is the chart from that event...

Rrea00120060311.gif

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I can vaguely remember the event, I was only 3 at the time though. What I can certainly remember though was walking round Bristol in January of that year and wow did it rain!