Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Cold Spell In Cheltenham And The Cotswolds

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Snow fell during much of the first week of February, giving accumulations of 2cm or more on four occasions in Cheltenham. Monday 2nd Feb saw about 2cm, then there was about 4cm on Thurs followed by 7cm on Friday and then another inch or so over the weekend on the back edge of the "winter storm". Unfortunately the covering depleted daily in town but up on the hills where the snow had remained there were some significant accumulations.

I first went up on Thursday afternoon:

3256904730_ab42e0be99.jpg

3256052305_0568e26b63.jpg

3277698270_49b2f24e1c.jpg

3262603551_806d6d403a.jpg

I took my mountain bike and I made some of the first footprints in the fresh snow - only a massive Chevrolet from Baton Rouge and another 4x4 car had made it up - I assume they may have been tourists interested in the snow.

On Saturday I cycled up again with a friend and there was more than on Thursday. The top image shows a farm track which had not been cleared; there were some big drifts. The second shows my friend standing in a drift.

3263508864_b47eceee50.jpg

3262577887_a507e1c407.jpg

Edited by 03jtrickey

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

Nice pics James! Despite the Cotswolds not being very high, it's nice they can make all the difference in these setups :cray:

Quite a lot of snow there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Geat pics, love the drfts! B)

Posted
Nice pics James! Despite the Cotswolds not being very high, it's nice they can make all the difference in these setups B)

Quite a lot of snow there!

Quite a large area is over 700ft and a reasonable amount over 800ft and Cranham/Birdlip approaching 1000ft - as you say enough to make a difference over the last 2 weeks.

Stil 2 -3 inches in the shade around my area the rest returned to grass yesterday plus major piles still knocking around from cleared car parks/roads/paths.

I'd imagine they'll go fairly soon now there is no further overnight frost due in the immediate forecast.

Posted
Quite a large area is over 700ft and a reasonable amount over 800ft and Cranham/Birdlip approaching 1000ft - as you say enough to make a difference over the last 2 weeks.

Stil 2 -3 inches in the shade around my area the rest returned to grass yesterday plus major piles still knocking around from cleared car parks/roads/paths.

I'd imagine they'll go fairly soon now there is no further overnight frost due in the immediate forecast.

Yes sorry but I meant relatively, considering that many areas get to 2000-3000ft in England and Wales.

Even so it has clearly made a big difference.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Thanks for the comments - yes, I do cycle a lot - normally on my road bike now but in that weather the mountain bike seemed more appropriate - even then the snow was too deep to cycle in though!

This particular hill, Cleeve Hill is the highest point of the Cotswolds at 1083ft, as you say not terribly high relatively but makes an enormous difference to the weather. For my GCSE I took weather readings along a transect down Cleeve Hill and found that the temperature changed on average by about 1-1.5C over the 200m change in altitude. It was generally windier at the top as well. The nearest mountains to here are the Black Mountains near Hay on Wye (2200+ft) - a long day trip on the bike...

Posted

hi James

Nice to see that the actual temperature change, on the day you did your thermometer readings, fitted in pretty well with the theory. That is that 3C per 1000ft or 300m is the fall aniticipated.

And the other item you disocered that fits the theory is snow is much more likely even with a modest increase in altitude, although 1000ft is quite a marked height level.

Good photos there as well.

I think when this winter is seen from a distance many will accept that it has been a quite exceptional one in terms of the last 10 years and probably for many in the last 20-30 years, length of cold and also, as your photos show, snow for some.

• Bank Holiday weekend weather - a mixed picture

It's a mixed picture for the upcoming Bank Holiday weekend. at times, sunshine and warmth with little wind. However, thicker cloud in the north will bring rain and showers. Also rain by Sunday for Cornwall. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-05-02 07:37:13 Valid: 02/05/2024 0900 - 03/04/2024 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 02 MAY 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F

Risk of thunderstorms overnight with lightning and hail

Northern France has warnings for thunderstorms for the start of May. With favourable ingredients of warm moist air, high CAPE and a warm front, southern Britain could see storms, hail and lightning. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow