Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch : Scotland

Posted

Yeah, impressive CMD. This too shows the spiralling going on

Do these PLs tend to take a SE'ly track? Cos at the moment the feature is still quite far to the NW.

The wind will change to a NW'ly soon (especially once the southern low passes the Benelux countries).

With a NW'ly wind, this PL should jog down in a SE'ly direction. However, later fax charts show the PL as a larger low pressure system over time [does it merge with a slack area of low pressure?]...

Still hard to call really, although it has kept good shape the past few hours.

http://www.knmi.nl/data/satrep/archive/ZAM...90209_2245.html

Posted

Greetings, DXR asked me what I made of the polar low, assessment follows ...

Weak lows northwest of Hebrides are drifting southeast with what I would call meso-scale polar low-lets if there is such an animal, it might be interesting to be on a ship right inside one of them to see what was going on, probably 20-30 knot gusts and some swirling sleet at the moment. When the remnants of said culprits arrive near Tiree later tonight, they are going to become wavelets on a rippling arctic front that will be extending southeast into the mess over southern England, I would expect a position something like Belfast to west of Dublin to near Bristol to near Norwich as the main low enters Belgium after 0600h, then this will become a sliding frontal system bringing enhanced snowflurry potential further southeast, meanwhile winds over most of Scotland would tend to swing around from any southeast type to northerly 10-20 knots and some streamers or areas of highland snow would develop overnight and through Tuesday, 5-10 cms potential for a few locations, just trace to 2 cm amounts in many places though.

That's what I see, but it does look odd, the opening map on the 18z GFS looks like one of those psych tests they are always forcing me to do at the Institute. :wallbash:

Posted

Just driven back from Glasgow tonight and witnessed my lowest ever readings on the car thermometer at -17c between Aviemore and Grantown -on -Spey. Both places look like somewhere in Northern Norway with cars in the streets almost completely buried by snow. I read in a local paper the had 23 inches of snow last Wednesday and Thursday. Cirrently -10c at home under a starry sky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

IR shows the PL away by 0300, but now, at 0600 it's starting to sort itself out again only closer to the mainland...

Some of the NW lads were chatting about that last night so Ive just been looking at sat24 sat loop and it shows another swirling feature coming towards that one from the NW of it. Dunno if that has any irrelavance or not just thought id mention it.

Posted

First time in what seems like weeks there are no weather warnings on the Meto site. I wonder if that will change soon as possible snow on the way.

Edited by Delta X-Ray

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

Morning my fellow irn bru lovers :D . Was out chasing some haggis this morning and by jinx its bloody cold! :):) Car thermometer shows -6c whilst the weather station shows -2c hmmmm? :)

Posted

'twas -5.5 in my garden this morning, but Aberdeen/Dyce said -2. I suspect some sort of inversion last night as the airport is out of town and a bit higher than my little frost hollow.

The snow on the pavements is basically crushed & crunchy ice now - much nicer than slush. Blue skies & sunshine currently - will we get over 0 today (reached a max of -1 yesterday, and -0.5 the day before, based on my garden temp readings)?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Morning my fellow irn bru lovers :) . Was out chasing some haggis this morning and by jinx its bloody cold! :):D Car thermometer shows -6c whilst the weather station shows -2c hmmmm? :)

Tis indeed a bit taters...Did you catch anything - an eight-pound Hall perhaps? :)

Posted
Tis indeed a bit taters...Did you catch anything - an eight-pound Hall perhaps? :)

You won't believe this.... I caught 5! Luckily Asda were doing a deal on them :) .

On a more serious note, looks like a front is moving southwards coupled with an area of low pressure. Snow is very much a possibility for most of Scotland today imo. The central belt could do well too as this front is unlikely to arrive there much later in the day. The current temperatures are an extremely good sign too. :D

Posted

Hi, I'm currently down at uni in Reading and jealous of the weather I'm missing at home! Does anyone have any photos of big snow drifts I can show off to friends down here (I will acknowledge the photos of course :D )? The media is too busy with a wee bit of rain here to mention amazing temperatures being recorded up north. Thanks

Posted
Look out Inverness, the "polar low-type" system is heading your way :-)

LOC_20090210_0900.png

Also, have a gander at this :)

It certainly looks like it is developing nicely as it moves along; thias is expected though as there is a lot of sea for it to interact with and strengthen before it reaches land. :) I wonder if this one will take track dow the Irish sea right between us an NI? That would be brilliant for the west :) . Sorry to be selfish :( . I just hope you all love me enough to forgive me :(