Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hurricane Ike---Human Impact

Posted

Right this thread is solely for discussion about the human aspect of the storm, for example evacuations, any news on the flooding situation and deaths is to be posted here, whilst chat on the hurricane from a weather point of veiw shall be kept in the other thread.

Remember to be sensitive as people could be reading this whose houses are at risk so keep on topic and do not get into a personal arguement.

Posted
Right this thread is solely for discussion about the human aspect of the storm, for example evacuations, any news on the flooding situation and deaths is to be posted here, whilst chat on the hurricane from a weather point of veiw shall be kept in the other thread.

Remember to be sensitive as people could be reading this whose houses are at risk so keep on topic and do not get into a personal arguement.

Thanks KW.. that makes sense.. some of us that are not as up to speed on the technical aspects ;) , but do for the most part follow what is being said... still want to comment on the human effects of the weather as well

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

A sound move KW! Let's hope we don't have too much to natter about eh?

Sadly even I think I'm being over optimistic in thinking that will be the case by tomorrow pm!

We have to remember that most of us are drawn here by a common interest in the weather and ,as such, have a bit if knowledge.

Most of the folk staying probably prefer the 'X' factor to discovery and so are clueless as to their peril. They have probably seen too many 'canes not live up to the forecast and think that this is the norm.......bad mistake!

Posted

BBC are finally reporting Ike ;)

Texas City is the biggy KW, wonder what the situation is there.....

Good view from Wunderground

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/track...at.html#a_topad

Edited by hoghedge

Posted

Well its hard to say, the surge seems like its going to come in a long way in from the Bay so I can only assume they will also get huge flooding.

It seems to me the main reason why people aren't leaving and evacuating is because of the big issues that happened with hurricane Rita in 2005 where many got stuck on the roads for 12hrs whilst the storm veered eastwards.

Surge is only increasing now and the waves still topping the sea wall.

Posted

Houston could get a hammering here despite being 50 miles inland. After all the guff about Gustav it would appear the media over there have taken their eye off the ball till now when a true disaster is about to occur.

Edited by Darkman

Posted

Rescue operations still present in Galveston....albeit I'm wondering how long they can actually perform these evacuations. Can't they get military vehicles in that can cope with such conditions?

Posted

20,000 did not evacuate Galveston - they are saying on TV now, and at 9pm Texas time, no more help will be available for anyone who has remained....

Posted
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem

Hello all (And It's been a while)

I believe that is worth noting that when people compare this storm to Katrina, the people in the path of Katrina (on the whole) wee much poorer. Thus these people would have had fewer choices with regards to their safety and 'escape' routs.

I have seen numbers of deaths figures banded about but for the reasons described I believe these will be many fewer (per capita) for obvious reasons....

The people here (on the whole) have greater choices!

Ned

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
20,000 did not evacuate Galveston - they are saying on TV now, and at 9pm Texas time, no more help will be available for anyone who has remained....

With a 20ft storm surge and very few areas above 20ft in Galveston what are these people thinking of by not leaving? Even those areas above 20ft will be subject to damaging gusts especially if Ike has a last minute intensification.

Posted
Hello all (And It's been a while)

I believe that is worth noting that when people compare this storm to Katrina, the people in the path of Katrina (on the whole) wee much poorer. Thus these people would have had fewer choices with regards to their safety and 'escape' routs.

I have seen numbers of deaths figures banded about but for the reasons described I believe these will be many fewer (per capita) for obvious reasons....

The people here (on the whole) have greater choices!

Ned

Yea....they're white and middle-class and have mobility.

Yet they are foolish and arrogant enough to stay in the danger areas; they will have a lot of problems and lives could be lost. And to think about it; I'm struggling to find sympathy for some of them if they are so stubborn.

Posted

Indeed some people have chosen to stay because they have no other choice, though to be fair there were a lot of people who have said they aren't going simply because Rita jogged east when it was meant to hit them in 2004, that is a poor reason and those people could suffer a bad fate.

Hopefully everyone will be ok, don't want to add to the 1 death in texas from Ike already.

Either way please stay considerate, this is a life and death situation here.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
i can't believe that no evacuation was ordered!

Apparently there was a Mandatory Evacuation Ordered as reported on some of the live feeds , but a lot have decided to ignore it , being poor or not surely there was a way out as NOrelans with the county putting on buses etc to get people out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I think that for many it will have just been a gamble. They think they can 'read' the situation and they think that, like so many storms before, it won't be as bad as the media/forecasters are making out. In the land of the small investor you'd think they'd know things can go either way (up or down) and this time they've bummed out......big stylee

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
Those people on that stranded ship are enduring 16 to 20 foot waves and winds of up to 130mph apparently.

There were 2 shrimp trawlers making there way out into the gulf about 4 hours ago god knows how they are faring out there with waves that large ?

Posted
I think that for many it will have just been a gamble. They think they can 'read' the situation and they think that, like so many storms before, it won't be as bad as the media/forecasters are making out. In the land of the small investor you'd think they'd know things can go either way (up or down) and this time they've bummed out......big stylee

Reminds me of the story of the boy who cried wolf.

Just had to add this pic - someone has tied their tree to a car so the tree won't blow away :o

santa_fe_hurricane_car_safety.jpg

Lmao...thats just going to fall and smash up the car. I suggest they use that car asap otherwise they are idiots who deserve no sympathy.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
Just had to add this pic - someone has tied their tree to a car so the tree won't blow away :D

santa_fe_hurricane_car_safety.jpg

That small car will never keep the tree there :o