Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Part 5

Nick F

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Well the occluded front has now made it's presence felt across SW England and Ireland, dew points SW of a line between Exeter and Barnstaple are one or two degrees above freezing so rain will mainly fall here, though some sleet and snow is likely over the Moors, further East and North from here dew points dropping to -5/-6C inland over England with temps below freezing generally down to -3/-4C in some inland parts already.

2000 plot:

post-1052-1170880310_thumb.png

18z UKMO fax:

post-1052-1170880362_thumb.png

Cloud and moisture from the Atlantic associated with the occlusion is likely to overide the cold dry air at the surface over England and Wales (outside the SW) later, so what ppn falls will be snow in the morning North of a line from say Brighton to Bristol. late morning slightly less cold and moister air with dps above 0C will slowly infiltrate South of the M4, so a slow thaw here, but North over Midlands/central Wales and parts of Northern England Dps staying at or below 0C all day so ppn continuing as snow until it fizzles out in the evning from the SW.

Posted

in the last hour these are my stats ,The wind was calm. The temperature was -3 °C (27 °F), with a dew-point at -7 °C (19 °F). The atmospheric pressure was 1001 hPa (29.56 inHg). The relative humidity was 73.8%. There were no clouds below 1500 meter (5000 feet) and no cumulonimbus clouds. The overall visibility was greater than 10 kilometers (6.2 miles).

Regards

Michesnowsbest

Edited by michesnowsbest

Posted

Remember to post your current observations in the current conditions and reports thread:

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showforum=6

Posted

Still the snow falls here. Watched a great clump earlier over the North Sea heading towards the Forth.

It really did live up to its expectation.

Try and a get photo or two soon, although the the flash on the digi cam appears goosed :wallbash:

Edited by Mondy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Rising here now was -4.3C now to -2.9C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms and extreme weather

Are we going to need a Samaritans type thread for the fall out tomorrow morning when large parts of the UK who thought they would be digging themselves out of their homes wake to sleet and cold rain. I for one would hate to see netweather members jumping from these boards in droves just because there was no snow in their area :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Currently about -2c here.

Posted

Been snowing lightly on and off since 1830 here in Edinburgh. Those little showers in from the North Sea are dropping quite a lot around here :wallbash: Delays on the M90 north now due to snow. Temps were down to -2C before it started (up to 0C now) and as a result everything settled from the start. Water in my birdbath did not thaw at all today.

Posted

i hope us folks in london get some of this but i'm starting to think we might only get rain/sleet.... if we did it wouldn't suprise me! but hey ho, thats a life

Hope the rest of you get a decent amount :wallbash::) :)

Posted
Are we going to need a Samaritans type thread for the fall out tomorrow morning when large parts of the UK who thought they would be digging themselves out of their homes wake to sleet and cold rain. I for one would hate to see netweather members jumping from these boards in droves just because there was no snow in their area :wallbash:

Do you really think this is a likely outcome?

All still seem good to me!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I wonder what the chances of freezing rain are. I think it's possible in some places.

Posted

Hi Guys,

First post of the winter!

Here in hereford i currently have a temp of -1.6c with a dew point of -3.9 all risen slightly over last couple of hours! Just hoping not too much too soon!! Quick drop in pressure here down to 992.5hpa.

Is everyone else in surrounding area getting the same?

Gonna be touch and go for me tonight in west midlands! Got everything crossed here!

Good luck everyone....let the fun and games begin!!

surfs up

Posted

Temp @ 8:45pm -2.7C (falling), dew point -4.2C (rising)

Temp 1 hour ago -2.3C, dew point -4.5C

Edited by Chilly Milly

Posted

It's -4C here already.. quite shocking for 21.00 hours! :wallbash:

Great to see the BBC forcasts not changing for once, I expect at least 7 or 8 cm's from this, hopefully more. Regardless, if we exceed 4cm's, it will be the largest snowfall in Newark for over 4 years.. :)

Posted

Snow show over for here. Lovely little blast for 30 mins or so. Nowt to do with the main front further south - just a little streamer coming in offshore - i fully expect all schools here to be closed tomorrow now ( :wallbash: )

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Assuming that i picked out the piviting point over Ireland correctly, the front should be able to reach me, and that is without any enhancement from the North Sea.

Current temperature is -1C with a dewpoint of -4C.

How low is Altnaharra expected to go, because -8C has aready been recorded????

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted
Snow show over for here. Lovely little blast for 30 mins or so. Nowt to do with the main front further south - just a little streamer coming in offshore - i fully expect all schools here to be closed tomorrow now ( :wallbash: )

Heh, lucky for your area. At Magnus (school in newark) we never close. Even when the boiler breaks, we just have to sit their in our coats. I'm sure there is a minimum temperature by law that a school should be.. and we must be breaking it at least 4 or 5 times every year. :)

Posted
It's -4C here already.. quite shocking for 21.00 hours! :)

Great to see the BBC forcasts not changing for once, I expect at least 7 or 8 cm's from this, hopefully more. Regardless, if we exceed 4cm's, it will be the largest snowfall in Newark for over 4 years.. :)

Fingers crossed.

Its been ages since Nottingham has had any of the white stuff :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

i bet even 10 foot of snow wouldnt stop or school closing! I had to go back on the 3rd of january! :wallbash:

I think if we have more than 2cm tomorrow then that will be the most we had had for at least 2 years!

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
Hi Guys,

First post of the winter!

Here in hereford i currently have a temp of -1.6c with a dew point of -3.9 all risen slightly over last couple of hours! Just hoping not too much too soon!! Quick drop in pressure here down to 992.5hpa.

Is everyone else in surrounding area getting the same?

Gonna be touch and go for me tonight in west midlands! Got everything crossed here!

Good luck everyone....let the fun and games begin!!

surfs up

Im in Leominster, just down the road! Cant tell you temp and dewpoints unfortunately, apart from......its bloody cold!!! I think its more likely to falll as snow rather than rain tonight!! I HOPE!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms and extreme weather

QUOTE(wallopweather @ 7 Feb 2007, 08:45 PM)

Are we going to need a Samaritans type thread for the fall out tomorrow morning when large parts of the UK who thought they would be digging themselves out of their homes wake to sleet and cold rain. I for one would hate to see netweather members jumping from these boards in droves just because there was no snow in their area

Do you really think this is a likely outcome?

All still seem good to me!

Not all members are in the 'hit' zone, we've been border line here in Hampshire all day so I for one could easily wake up very disappointed or perhaps amazed. Historically freezing rain has been more common in my area than decent snow fall but here's hoping